Cayman S bargain cars? | FerrariChat

Cayman S bargain cars?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Edward 96GTS, Apr 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    is a high mileage cayman s selling in the $25k range a bargain or timebomb?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #2 Mark(study), Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    Everything was fixed in the 987 Caymans with the 987.2 facelift in 2009. The 987.1 which ran from 2006 to 2008 had a number of potential problems even though only a small number of cars were effected (on track oil stavation, bore score, IMS). High miles does not seem to be an issue. Best buy is the 987.2 produced from 2009 through 2012. They are bullet proof and one of the best cars Porsche ever made, bang for the buck. A base 987.2 is as fast as a S 987.1 due to overall improvements. You will see a big jump in prices for 987.2's both S and base model as few were produced due to global financial crisis. I've had mine for 11 years best car I've ever driven on public roads, it gets the weight, feel, fun factor just right. Best of modern car upgrades with magic feel of driving an older 911's before they got heavier, bigger, and went with too many electronics/drivers aids. Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you can find one, the Cayman R is the pick of the 987.2 litter. It's a little lighter, and came with Porsche's sport suspension (20mm lower, stiffer), a limited slip diff and ~10 more hp. It's a car I like to think channels Porsche's original philosophy of what a car is: light, agile, and quick.

4. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    987.2 R was driven in a comparison test against the 981 generation that replaced it, and the 718 generation that replaced the 981. Both presenters selected the 987.2 R as the best Cayman of the 3 generations. The 981 drives like a "bigger car" and the 718 lose points on sound with the move to a 4 cylinder engine. 987's are last cars with hydraulic steering and a real simple feeling of less car between you and the pavement. I love the way my car rides (Porsche sells the R suspension kit, I'm thinking of tossing it on my 987.2 just for fun one day) just something to consider for later days if you can't find an R in your price range.

Show was called - Everyday Driver, you can look up the episode on the web. Nice comparison.