Ceramic Quartz Re-Application & Swirl Removal | FerrariChat

Ceramic Quartz Re-Application & Swirl Removal

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Steve711, Jul 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve711

Steve711 Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    So I've been experimenting with Ceramic Quartz (Kamakaze ISM) on my Maserati before I put something that's semi-permanent on my Ferrari. The primary benefit seems to be two-fold. First, is easier washing and drying. Second is less development of swirl marks as a result of the first benefit. So at this point I'm pretty much sold on it, however I have a couple questions that maybe someone here who has more experience could shed some light on.

These products are supposed to last years. I've seen claims between 2 and 9 years. Regardless, my questions are somewhat related:

When light swirls or scratches appear (and i'm sure they will before the 2-9 year point) what is done to remove them? With traditional sealants such as wax, you would simply throw a coat of wax on. Or you would polish out the spot with the scratch and then wax the panel. Is this process any different with ceramic quartz? The Esoteric video on ISM Coat says you aren't supposed to layer with multiple coats.

Second, at the end of the product life (2-9 years) what do you do? Is it as simple as re-applying as done the first time? Or is there an extensive removal process of the original quartz coating prior to re-application?

I sent 2 emails and left a voicemail with Esoteric with these questions, but they haven't responded, raising my concern which is why I'm posting these questions here.

Thanks everyone

Steve

2. Steve711

Steve711 Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    As I was writing this, Esoteric replied with the following answers:

1. Yes, once ISM (or any coating) runs its course, you will simply want to re-prep your car's paintwork and apply another layer(s) of coating.
    2. For any scratches that may occur, you can polish the affected area and re-coat the panel. Look to prep the panel ahead of coating it, of course.

3. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Steve -

I figured Esoteric would respond and obviously they are spot on. I have used both Miyabi and ISM. They work great and as you said, it is much easier to keep the car clean.

One item that I would like to address - If you wash the car properly, you shouldn't introduce any swirls in the paint or coating. If you do, then a person should re-think their washing/drying procedure. I'm not saying this is you, but in my experience, paying attention to the details will pay big dividends in the longevity of a coating and the paint on your car.

4. Steve711

Steve711 Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    With a product that lasts say 2 years, I think with even the best washing/drying techniques there will be some development of swirls over that long period of time.

Also, the cleaner and shinier your car is, the more you will encounter that guy who says “oh. You have something on your hood” then he takes his finger and swipes it away thinking he’s doing you a favor.....

5. Steve711

Steve711 Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    I should also add that Zach and the other people I’ve dealt with at Esoteric have been very helpful and informative. Their delay in answering my email was due to spam problems.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ceramics are a scam.

Flea7 likes this.
  7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Did you have a bad experience with them?

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I've used them on a few cars. Suvs and ferraris.

Search my username and the word ceramic and u will find it all.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

Ak Jim likes this.