Challenge vs Cup car for track days | FerrariChat

Challenge vs Cup car for track days

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by m3995, Oct 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m3995

m3995 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All, I am going to step up from street/track cars and purchase a dedicated track car. I am looking at F430 challenge vs 997 or 991 Cup cars. Has anyone owned both? I am experienced in tracking; 12+ years in multiple street cars with race seats harnesses and other track options.

What do you think would work best as strictly a track toy, not wheel to wheel? Thanks for the input.

2. FCat360

FCat360 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2014
    Radical Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Lam, Blama Lam
    Did a 360 Spider, then a Rossion Q1. The 360 cost a lot in parts. So I assume a 430 would be the same.
    I have a friend who used to do the arrive and drive with a 430 challenge by Ferrari fo Ft Lauderdale. he switched to a Z06.

The Rossion would pretty much keep up with any street car. The GTRs might get away on the straights, but I'm there at the corner.
    Maybe times would better if I knew what I was doing.

I also considered a 430 Challenge car ,as they have come down quite a bit in price.

But.. taking delivery of a Radical SR 3 at end of November. Some hot laps on one of those and you'll be hooked too.

3. p-o-r-s-c-h-e

p-o-r-s-c-h-e Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    Germany
    I drove and drive and all the cars and my clear statement for trackdays on a high level: 430CH:

It is easy to drive and fast. You have ABS and ASR (very! helpful in the wet). The gearbox is slower than the 997 or the 991 but it works perfect. No aero comes with the standard car, room for upgrade if you get to the level to use it.

The 997 Cup is more a real competition racecar, fast if you are fast but slow if you are not able to use the performance, no ABS no ASR and no paddle shift. Upgrade with Bosch ABS helps, but all paddle shift systems I know are not perfect. The gearbox works perfect if you shift hard and if you have the time and the money to maintain it. And you need a lot of money.

The 991 standard Cup is a high level racecar, also without ABS, so upgrade is a must. The gearbox with the paddle system is a big improvement to the 997 but still a racebox!

The 430CH is a perfect trackday car wth some room for not perfect driving and this is what you want, a big upgrade to a normal 430 but only a gentleman racecar at wheel to wheel.

The Cup cars are racer, with all the good and the bad things and it takes time to be fast. Better use the time to have fun.

4. m3995

m3995 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks so much, very helpful. Question - how reliable was the 430CH while at the track? I have no problem keeping it properly maintained, I just don’t want to regularly break down at the track.

5. p-o-r-s-c-h-e

p-o-r-s-c-h-e Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    Germany
    The problem is to find a good car that has not be wrecked on the track during the race period. There is no chance to give you serious information about what could happen with the car in the future. Everything is possible, but maybe that helps: A used Cup engine and gearbox is is 20 – 30 tEUR each, if you find one. They all have done max. 10 hours but the true is far away. A 430CH engine and gearbox is much cheaper and the chance to get a good one is much better. 430CH mechanical parts are close to the street car. Cup brakes are cheap, 430CH ceramic is expensive, swap to steel, most of the cars got it already. Tires are a problem with the 430CH, Pirelli is the only one I know that works, with the CUP you have the choice…, 430CH body parts are 3 times more expensive, so be careful at that point. Finally a 430CH is 2 times easier to drive and: A Ferrari looks 5 times and sounds 10 times better than a Cup.

FCat360 likes this.
  6. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Nice video.

Robb

7. m3995

m3995 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Robb, thank you for the reply. After further research and your vid, I will be purchasing 430CH for next track season. Thanks again

8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Wasn't my video post - that was Mr. P-O-R-S-C-H-E... above

But I like the 430 challenge and the video.

Robb

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky