Changes at Irvine C&C | FerrariChat

Changes at Irvine C&C

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by DaveGee, Feb 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DaveGee

DaveGee Karting

Dec 25, 2005
    Wow, surprised to see the "bouncer line" at C&C yesterday. More surprised that no one has commented on it yet.

Apparently, only cars 1999 and older are being admitted. "Apparently" since while a lot of cars were being turned away, there were also a lot of 1999 and newer cars in the exhibit area. Apparently it's a selective process. By 7am the lot was maybe 3/4 full. That hasn't happened in a long time.

I overheard a couple of guys that were pissed about not being admitted saying that all the rejects would meet on the roof of the parking garage for their own show. I hope they have coffee up there.

DaveGee

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Man that sucks, now the F.Enzo's and nice tricked out 458 Italia, Lambos, and other new cars can't come in now?

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Apparently Ferrari's and Lambo's are excepted. I think it will be more of a selective process as there were too many unauthorized car clubs and normal street cars choking up the show. The show has gotten a lot busier with only so many spots for cars of "interest." Crystal Cove was turning this way in its final days. Hopefully the days aren't numbered for Cars and Coffee? No question classic cars '99 and older are preferred and will easily make the Saturday AM cut.

4. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Long time in coming. Too many daily drivers, even nice ones, were taking most of the space.

5. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I wonder if this has anything to do with it...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvCjQO63dPI[/ame]

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    100% Correct, no offense to guys showing up with the EVO's and STI's, but lets keep it a bit more interesting.

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Seems to be the case, I don't understand it at all. Mr. Clinard and is wife have done a great job, but too many regular cars coming in.

8. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    I noticed this last time I went about a month ago. While in most parts of the country seeing a new F10 BMW M5 is a big deal, not so much to me. And when there's 8 of them...well, it gets a bit old. I'd rather see a cherry '98 Saab 9-3 Viggen -- something that is far more unique and unusual than a brand new AMG / M / Audi (R)S or STi / Evo. I could see any of those in just about any parking lot in OC on a Saturday.

9. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    I didn't see one thing wrong with that ... I did see a lot right with it !

I like to think my CLK Black Series would be interesting to most enthusiast, it's fairly rare and not seen regularly. Well, a week ago, i was relegated to the parking structure when I arrived at 6:45 ... Yesterday I got there at about 6:30 and just barely made the cut.

C&C is about played out ... another mainstream event ... nothing special.

I knew it was on the downhill side when the folding chairs showed up ;)

G

10. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1 I am done as well, unless there is a big group with a lot of you guys there.

11. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    The Miata club took it down a notch, then the BMWs

12. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I know, right? The nerve of those guys. Who wants to see E30 M3s and Monster Miatas when they may take a spot reserved for a new 360 with a goofy wrap?

13. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    I'm all for E30 M3's (previous owner) ... rare and special enthusiast cars

Monster Miatas ... ??? ... could be interesting

G

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Steve, its more than that, I don't know the last time you went, but its more like a Modern Miata vs. a Miata with a V8 or a cool Older M3.

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    This is how different classes for judging started at "trophy" car shows

Tough call as I don't run the show to know whats behind the scenes

Maybe if they had a secret handshake to get in.......

:)

16. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    It's all about diversity and not about Miatas, BMWs or any specific make/model or year of vehicle. What is ruining the show are the groups of same make/model cars coming together. Someone goes on the Miata forum and says "Lets meet up and drive to C&C." Next thing you know there are 30 Miatas pulling into C&C. No one wants to see 30 Miatas, 30 BMW 3 series, 30 Ferrari F430s or 30 of anything! Maybe 30 Enzos would be cool ... ;) In all seriousness it's turning into groups of cars from the forums. I'm even guilty of having recently participated in a group of 30 GTRs! It's really uninteresting to see a complete row of the same car. If capacity were not an issue this wouldn't be a concern but since it is an issue there needs to be parameters in place to maintain diversity and uniqueness. Like a previous poster mentioned it would be better to see an old Saab or even a Yugo than six BMW M3s. I'd even welcome a Pacer every now and then! :) It can't be a year cutoff plus an exception for Ferraris and Lambos. It simply has to be based on diversity. If they're going to be selective on specific years they may as well be selective on specific types. Allow in a diverse group of cars. By not allowing a group of same cars to drive in at once would dissuade the forums from meeting and driving in together.

17. kiteboarder

kiteboarder Rookie

Oct 23, 2012
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Danny Cruz
    This is an interesting thread. I have a 2011 Miata and just bought a cherry '95 Miata. Hope I don't have a problem getting in next time. Haha.

I usually do Cbad Cars and Coffee in Carlsbad though. Cbad has a fun and tight niche meet, that's not blown out of proportion like C&C Irvine. Not that I don't love the Irvine show.

Anyway, Cbad usually has quite a bit of space, except for the last show of the month which is usually quite big.

Think of it as an alternative if you are tired of Irvine and want to come down.

18. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    C&C was dead for me years ago, maybe some of us are jaded. I think bluroad/jjay911 showing up in boat cars, rare Faza X19's and homebrew race cars is pretty neat. Matte black Rolls with dbags in hoodies pouring out is not my idea of a fun group to hang with on a Saturday morning. Nor are dozens of M3's, a bazillion cobra kit cars or like stated above, 30 of anything.

There are two levels of visitor to C&C, the owners/drivers that like to hang out, and then the public that want to see what's out there.

In the end, I am glad it is there, some kid somewhere is going to get the first glimpse of his dream car there, and it probably won't be a bodykit covered and wrapped Panamera on 40's or a Miata with JDM out the tailpipe, but who am I to squash the dream of the kid that thinks that crap is neat.

19. Andrewo

Andrewo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2011
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #19 Andrewo, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I went a few weeks ago and I was extremely disappointed by the amount of down right junk that was in the show. Even the stock E46 M3s were starting to look interesting. Some people may be angry but the show was going downhill fast. It was almost becoming a bad tuner show. This was parked in the main show lot. The home made (and rusted) front splitter was a nice touch.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It's not that bad, but maybe we should say it is so the hordes don't show up. ;) Anyone have a pic of the $14MM Alfa 8c 2300 that was driven there two weeks ago or the original $2.5MM Porsche 550 Spyder in blue?

21. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    John C and his wife should charge a fee or an annual membership. First and foremost, they deserve it or they may give to charity. Secondly, most the people would not want to pay 5 bucks to park their cars....only the people who really want to be there will be there.

As one who puts on a show, it does take a lot of work. If when I go to C&C, I would not park in the main area as I do not have anything that special....and I know that it is a kind of unwritten rule that higher caliber/special cars are what is for the main area. I am totally fine with that. Further, a group of 50 of the same car....well...C&C just isn't that kind of show....not to my mind.

I like the idea of a membership or a day fee. I think it would work great for C&C. They could give to the troops, the cops, orphans...and nobody is allowed in w/o paying. You watch how fast it thins out.

In any event, Kudos to Clinard and his wife/volunteers for their years of passion and hard work. I hope that everybody can respect what they do and whatever they see fit doing.

22. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve

Agreed.

23. Andrew512TR

Andrew512TR Karting

Jan 23, 2005
    La Canada, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I agree. A CLK Black is certainly ultra rare. As is a 360CS and so on!! Obviously, whoever directed your CLK elsewhere doesn't have a clue!!

24. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I'm for those guys... only their branding is aggressive. Very solid people.

I'd say the greatest buzz era of C&C is when it was labeled as a CC-replacement more so than it's current stature. That's not to discredit the efforts though. In all honesty, those Matt Nunez display days really set the standard... :D

So G, where is next. A man cave perhaps? :)

25. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    +1

John and his wife are good people.

I haven't been to C&C in a while but I agree it's gone downhill a bit in the last few years, mainly due to the forums/clubs showing up en masse. hopefully it can be returned to the eclectic and laid back vibe it used to have.

and my Porsche is a 1999 so hopefully I'm safe : p