Chassis 19367 - the first(?) steel 308 GTB | FerrariChat

Chassis 19367 - the first(?) steel 308 GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by torquespeak, Feb 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #1 torquespeak, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Already shared in the 'how many steel 76 cars' thread, but what the heck - I'll give it its own thread.

Here are a few photos of chassis number 19367, which I believe is the very first steel-bodied 308 GTB. The car is now sitting in our premises at Brands Hatch, Kent (UK).

If anyone has any information about this car, relating to any of the countries mentioned(!), then I would love to hear from you here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Archive records show this car was originally Argento 101C over Rosso VM3171. At some point it has been repainted in Rosso Corsa and the seats replaced with black QV spec items.

Original delivery was to Hong Kong in July 1976. Dry sump; Engine number 240. The dealer sticker in the rear window is from Viglietti (South Africa?). As far as I know, the car was in Hong Kong for at least the first decade of its life. In more recent years it has been in Australia.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I'm shocked Ferrari would produce a RHD car before a LHD car. Seems odd to me as LHD was the predominant part of their market.

Are you speaking of the earliest serial numbered steel 308GTB or is their documentation showing this was the first car produced.

Not that I really care, just think it is odd it did not go to an Italian local.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Exactly what I was thinking.

4. robbie308

robbie308 Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Robert Retzlaff
    I know about this 308 with the surprisingly low serial number for a steel car for a while. But I am still wondering if Scaglietti already was able (i.e. had the pressing devices) to build a steel body for a 308 GTB as early as July 1976.

In my opinion, we can only speculate if the car was delivered wth this body or has received it later in it's life, for whatever reason. I have no idea...

Robert

The Ferrari 308 GTB Register

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Actually those seats are not unique to the QV. They were introduced when the injected series began in 1980

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Make it Argento over Rosso again...then it will be really cool, first steel GTB or not.

7. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    If it was a brand new model, I'd be inclined to agree. But given that this was a switch from fibreglass to steel for pragmatic reasons, I'm not so sure.

This was a production line change that - as far as I'm aware - wasn't widely promoted at the time. A body made of a different material is a significant change, but conceptually at least, I'm not so sure it's any different to a mid-life production change for any other model.

For example (and I don't believe that this is the case), would we be as surprised if the first M-Series Dino 246 turned out to be RHD? My hunch is, we wouldn't.

8. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Certainly something we're considering.

Clearly we don't believe this is some sort of unicorn - just an interesting car given apparent status of first steel GTB. I'd like to find someone equally interested to buy it, who wants to put the car back to correct specs and investigate the history.

9. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    It always makes me wonder why Ferrari made the fibreglass version in the first place. And why they changed it back to steel. I've never been able to find a definite answer. Anyone?

10. RJR89

RJR89 Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
  11. paul0843

paul0843 Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    The common opinion is that there would be too much flex in the fibreglass body
    and the targa top would be popping off.
    Paul

12. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I think I've seen three or four different explanations all claiming to be the 'correct' one.

The most logical - IMPO, and as you say - does seem to be that they decided they couldn't make the GTS from fibreglass, so from a financial POV, they switched both models to steel. The timing fits as well.

I don't think I've ever seen definitive evidence of any explanation, but I learn things all the time, so no doubt this may be well documented in a Ferrari book I've yet to read.

13. 20805

20805 Rookie

Apr 2, 2016
    #13 20805, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've long understood that the plastic 308s were rushed out as a stop gap following very disappointing GT4 sales. It was never intended as a long term solution and the switch to steel started as soon as the new model had proved itself in the marketplace and the tooling was ready.

15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This was my understanding as well.

16. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  17. bromo

bromo Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Nice story to revive..and I learnt something new.

Was the car ever returned to Argento?

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I hade a LATE 1976 production car, an early North American version #20405.

So this is an interesting thread, they were definitely "close to starting production" in the Spring of that year certainly.

19. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have 20817, North American steel. Door plate stamped January 77. Supposedly was part of the first dozen shipped to US. That would put it in that build time frame, so I bet you are right BigTex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I have #20783 also with a January 1977 door plate but have seen US steel cars dating back to August 1976 meaning that many more than a dozen steel cars came in before mine.

21. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Italian book keeping during that era is interesting.

I’m sure there were some steel cars prior to mine, not sure where they all shipped. Nuvolari, what date is stamped on your owners booklet, ie when did the owner take possession?

I would love to find all the January 77 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have a December '76 production date US GTB Steel # 20583
    I assumed it was one of the earliest North American steel cars....

23. FRIPS

FRIPS Karting

Jul 26, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My car also has a December '76 production date, US GTB Steel #20621

24. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

If you are really interested in this, you need to contact TripleBlack. He has all the numbers. He set me straight about my car.

25. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I do not have the in service date for my car readily available (documents are currently in storage) but it is interesting to note that I have spent a great deal of time with #20621 and despite showing a door plate date of December 1976 (vs Jan 77 for #20783) EVERYTHING about that car indicates that it was built AFTER mine. Firstly my car shows an assembly sequence number of 96A while #20621 shows a number in the 100's. Secondly every casting on my car has a 76 on it while #20621 shows 77 on all of its castings.