Check out this 348 Challenge . . . | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Check out this 348 Challenge . . .

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrari, Jan 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. squidracing

squidracing Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    As a person who had (as well as spanked the living sh*t out of them at the track) a '93 Series Speciale (converted to challenge specs) as well as a '94 factory Challenge Car......I declare myself an expert!! :)

My opinion is that the 348 and 355 Challenge Cars will only go down in value. They are both great cars, which willingly give what ever they have to offer (when properly 'asked for'). Alas....the upkeep dwarfs the value of the car.

Where is the incentive to buy a car for $30,000, do a $25,000 engine rebuild, a $10,000 gearbox rebuild, and have a car that's worth $30,000?

Ain't gonna happen.

There are those who feel the fact a certain person raced a particular challenge car gives it a provinence which makes it worth more. I do not believe this to be the case at all. Schumi...yes. Joe Richguy...not a chance.

Buy the car....use the car...EXPECT TO LOSE MONEY ON THE CAR.

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Okay, you guys have settled the status of this car while I was away from the computer for a few days. Yes, Jon and Martin are correct- it is a real 348C, despite being a ts, and it was run pretty hard. The trick dash and other mods are later additions. VK- my 348C (#94285) is also a Serie Speciale converted to run the Challenge series (in this case by Wide World in NY). I bought it because it had seen such light use and was never wrecked, which is a real rarity. I'm still sorting it out, as it had about 4,700 miles on it (much of it street mileage) when I bought it a few months ago, and had been sitting idle for a couple of years. I've only driven it a few hundred miles since, as I haven't been to FL much lately. It's red, and bears Challenge race #21, as well as license tags (only in FL would this happen!), so stop by and say hi if you're at Moroso later this week for the Cavallino track event. Hopefully I'll have it sorted out and running properly soon after shaking it down this week.
    Ira

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    My 348 is in full Serie Specialle and most Challenge trim....and it has been a great and reliable car for almost 15 years!!

It keeps up with 355 street cars at the track on the straits......outcorners and outbrakes them. If you are looking for one...don't hesitate...buy and enjoy!!

Ciao

Dino

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #29 kenyon, Jan 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #30 kenyon, Jan 21, 2004
  6. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #31 kenyon, Jan 21, 2004
  7. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    #32 kenyon, Jan 21, 2004
  8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  9. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    If you are looking for value, the 348 factory Challenge run of 32 is the way to go. They are cheap compared to the regular 348 run (only a slight premium) and are rare indeed. Their performance options are great and that basically for only a few bucks.
    Now I am talking the street version kept 348CH cars.

Once it is a race car it is a race car and loses value.

Then you have those converted to race, raced and converted back. If it is done right, like in Byrons case, the car can be a lot of fun and will give you great joy.

348s are great buys guys no matter what! Can you get more HP? yes, but at what cost.

10. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    Thanks Tom, great source of info on the 348....

Also a request to Ira, Dino (Ingenere) and kenster888; can you please PM me or post here some info on your 348 Serie Speciale?? - need your VIN# and built number in the series (i.e. #50 of 100 made)....I'm updating my online database - Thanks!

Kenyon: Can you elaborate on your engine GTC updates?? Wow, 365HP that's really sweet! I want the name of your master builder/mechanic ;)

Jon, Martin and the rest of 348 Tifosi....Has anyone actually seen or raced against a 348 GT Competizione or LM ?? Any interesting stories to share??

Cheers

Vasilis K.

11. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Vasilis,

There is a gentleman that runs at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen (Summit Point occasionally) whom I race Spec Racer's with who owns a 348 Competizione. It's one of the early models and I believe it was raced in Europe. It's red with blue and white decals. The gentleman's name is Steve Landauer and he told me the car weighs roughly 2400 pounds and makes about 375 horsepower. Car has lexan windows, race fuel cell, airjacks and lightweight competiton BBS wheels.

I don't know if his particluar car raced at LeMans or not but it's a great looking car.

Will try to see if I have any pictures if the car.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

12. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    Thanks Jon, you have been a great help with timely information and inspiration! (and I mean that)...

Cheers

VK

13. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #38 FLATOUTRACING, Jan 21, 2004
  14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    There is HSR racing (H==historic).

This winter we took over 200 pounds out of Dana's 355 challenge car! These cars no longer have to be at 'challenge' specs in different series (like HSR). Simple things like removing the A/C, heater, power steering, door pannels, bumper superstructure, headlights and motors,.... Now when we get her motor back in gear.....

Likely racing against all the Porsches in HSR, they will still get killed, but at least there are venues where: if you happen to want to race and happen to want to drive a Ferrari in a race situation, you can at least participate (like Dana!)

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There is a lot of confusion about 348 challenge cars. In the 1994 model year, There were 32 "factory challenge" TB's and 13 TS's sold in the US. They came with some factory mods including a hotter ecu, lower gears and lighter weight, but were street cars and still needed the kits installed to be race ready. The kits were also installed on many earlier cars for racing. About half these cars were actually raced, the others remained street cars. For reasons unknown, not all came with the "serie challenge" ID plate. I used to own #18 of 32. As for collectiblity, I think examples that are bone stock nad never raced might be considered collectible becuase they were the best and fastest of the 348 series but will never be worth as much as any 355 (and rightly so).

There is a real nice example for sale in Denver that was never raced.

Dave

16. squidracing

squidracing Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I've driven Steve's 348 at the Glen. It's very nice :)

17. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Hey Matt,

What was your impression of the car vs. our old 355's? I had the feeling that the Steve's car would be faster even without the wing.

Steve is a pretty decent driver but doesn't push his 348 too hard for obvious reasons (rarity of the car and cost).

You guys thawing out in NYC yet? Gettin' warm down here, already up to a whoppin' 27 degrees.

Regards,

Jon

18. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    We have a balmy 20 degrees here in the Hudson Valley region - 1 hour north of NYC....

Speaking about 348 Speciale values and such, there's one TB on eBay right now (by Schmitt & Co.) bid up to $58K and still going.....That makes me feel pretty good inside ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2455704259&category=6212

On a separate sad note, did you guys read about the misfortune of a fellow tifosi out in CA with a tow truck company?? Byron WAS a 348 Challenge owner...While returning from a track day on the back of a tow truck apparently his 348C FELL OFF the tow truck :mad:

...Pretty weird situation and awful bad luck.... :confused:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6267&page=1&pp=20