Chev V8 in 308 Kit | FerrariChat

Chev V8 in 308 Kit

Discussion in '308/328' started by BillyD, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
  2. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    There was one in Northern VA many years ago. Had a 327 (carb of course) and it ran pretty well - Car was hard both inside and out - Now with LS's being dropped into everything it does make you wonder about the possibilities ... even though the purest among us would not be pleased.

3. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I can't wait to read the responses to this posting

4. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have seen a build of a 360 with a LS6 in it. Pretty clean job and probably runs pretty fast.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think they'll be a lot different now that 308/328s are eclipsing 355/360s.

Anyone who would butcher one of these now...

6. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Huh?

7. bentrm

bentrm Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Made it to and back in my Trailblazer SS from Pittsburgh to Mid-Ohio race today. Barely. LS2 took a huge dump. 70k miles. I'm up in the air whether these engines are worthy. Right now; not so much.

8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    BLASPHEMER!!

9. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
  10. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I'd consider buying this just to have on hand if the 205 hp 3.0L blows up.

11. ntb308gtsi

ntb308gtsi Karting

Nov 17, 2013
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Nick B.
    Well, as the man says,

"This is the ultimate for anyone looking to upgrade their car, go for more power or have a more economical exotic".

now is the perfect time to "upgrade" your FERRARI to a ......Chevy!!!

Si Signore!

12. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Just stopped by and saw this and had to give some info. Back in 2007 a guy came on to the board and explained that he was doing a chev transplant into a 308. I guess the responses were pretty critical so he stopped posting. Being an old conversion type (cheveys into jaguars) I was interested on what he was doing. He got a 308 with a blown engine so made it a project car. He used a ZF transaxel from a Pantera and mounted the chevy longitudinally in the car and extended it 4". He did all his own fab work to mount the motor as well as frame work. He told me it worked out great and the car ran well and quick. Now looking at this Norwood kit this would be an easier conversion in my mind as all of the engineering was done to bolt up the motor to the gearbox and clutch/flywheel assembly. It would be interesting to see it done .

13. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    they seem to be pretty reliable, but with how many they have on the road, they are bound to have some failures. 70k is pretty low for it to have problems.

14. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
  15. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    My last LS1 really started to fall apart at about the 90k mile mark (oil pump failed, cam was starting to flat-lobe, etc) All on a car that was a daily, not a race car. If I were going to rebuild the motor annually for racing, I wouldnt hate LS1s, but when you want to drop one in because it is "more reliable" I start to question your logic.

16. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Not many 308 engines get to 70K or 90K without being rebuilt, either...

17. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Words of wisdom. I'd take a dump myself in my 308's engine bay before I would put GM crap in there.

18. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
  19. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    My 5.3 in my GMC truck has 76,000 very hard miles on it. headers, intake, built trans, stall converter, shift kit, etc. It's a daily, but I'm pretty hard on it. I am on my 4th trans, but I've not had a hiccup from the engine. Not to say they're the most reliable, but the LS based engines have a pretty decent track record when taken care of. I was going to do a cam and heads, but we just had a baby and I want to keep it as reliable as possible, so I've backed off a bit. I have a pile of parts sitting in the garage for it that will likely never get put on. TBSS manifold, cam, TB, etc. Some day maybe.

20. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    I don't understand why people do this. The heart of the beast is the engine; Pininfarina/Scaglietti build the bodies, Ferrari builds the engines. If they want GM "reliability" why not have it in a GM car, no matter which one? In any event the 328 QV engine is pretty reliable, itself. So again...why?

Cheers,
    Rich