Chicago 512BB for sale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Chicago 512BB for sale

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    C'mon Frank; that's like me saying, "I don't have the time"! :)

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually once you get serious about 1/18 cars, it becomes quite expensive, money and timewise. I spend now countless hours with my bank to do international transactions. Silly.

3. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I think there isn't much of a difference between the 550 and 575 outward appearance wise. The nose has a slightly different intake, 575 has 3 headlight bulbs per, wheels have just little differences, and the back has small differences such as car designations are being slapped on now. However, see a 575 and 550 flying down the highway one can not tell much of a difference. Who really counts headlight bulbs? The TR and 512M has a lot of differences. The front and back is completely different between the two: intake, pop ups vs Le Mans headlights, hood air scoops on M, mirrors, wheels look nothing alike. I am not sure, but I think the 512M is even bigger. Interior is more updated on the 512 than TR, but I have never sat in the 512 to tell. I would love to nab the latest 512LM, but they have barely moved in price, ( last time I saw one for sale it was near $190,000: I'd rather would get a low mile 550 instead and save $30K. )
    I can't believe about two weeks ago that some Chi Tribune car expert said that the 456 would go up in price in the next two years and become a collectors car. Hasn't it dropped from $230K down to mid 80s in some cases? And this drop within the past two years? I have seen the Boxer move up in price the past few years and to be honest, I think that body style will never tire and this car in question certainlly looks like it would give anyone some visiual delight when they peer into their garage now or 5 years from now.
    As for models, some are extremely good. I have an Exoto Ferrari which has cooling ducts for the brakes, cloth lined seat and the driver even looks like Alain Prost. I recently purchased a 1/12th scale F50 and the engine is supposed to have carbon parts. From the last magazine Forza I read, from pruchasing online, and from some manufacturers websites, Hotwheels/Mattel has the license to make the Fcar in 1/18th scale. Kyosho can do some limited works as they had the license for earlier models. But if its 1/18th scale you are looking for, Hotwheels is it and they are supposedly comming out with a vintage Ferrari line very soon.

RocketBoy

PS: Last time I saw, MotorWerks had a silver 355 for sale.

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You are certainly correct,Rocketboy. There really isn't much difference in the Models. Especially,when it's whizzing past at 60MPH. I doubt that even the most knowledgable Tifosi can tell the exact Year of a certain model if it's speeding past in the other direction.

Subtle Physical changes can be noticed when walking around a parked car,or in a photo. Thats about it...

IMO. I am really very unimpressed with all automakers in this day and age. What I mean,is that they run a same,or similar Body Style INTO the GROUND before they Finally decide to change it. I pride myself in being able to tell what year a car is,that is,a car from the early years,up on through the 1960's. (Not all. But,most American Cars.)You can tell the difference between a '55 Chevy and a '56 Chevy. Or,a '65 Impala and a '66. A '69 Roadrunner and a '70. Geez. When we were Teenagers. My Buddies and I could distinguish the Make of a car,driving towards us,At Night,simply because of the
    Headlight and Marker light/turnsignal light configuration. Or if we were behind it,by the Taillights. It was simple.

Now,take a look at a 360. Beautiful car. Now in it's 6th.model year. You can go out and get a '99 360 for about 1/2 to 2/3rd's of the price of an '04. And,nobody but you will know the difference. At least,they can make some Subtle changes in the Lights,Grill,Wheels,etc...to differentiate the Model year. Sure,there are performance Modifications. Safety upgrades. All are inside the car. But,to the general public,and even "Ferrari Guys". At a glance,you cannot distinguish a '99 360 from an '02 360,or an '04 360. When it's passing or on the road. Perhaps,in this case. Even when it's parked and looking right back at you.

550 and 575 Maranellos,either,if they pass you on the Highway.How about a '69 Daytona vs. a '73 Daytona?

Even with the old Corvettes,(Where they REALLY run a body style into the ground) There were small changes in the side fins. Emblem placement,etc...so that,a knowledgable Corvette enthusiast can walk past and say,"That's a '69. That's a '73",and so on.

Look at the Lotus Espirit. I like those cars. But,the Basic body style was the same from 1976 to 2004. A few small changes through the years. But,that would be like running the 3X8 body style,in various incarnations,from 1976,when it debuted,until now. These cars get enough grief in the Ferrari World because they ran that (Extremely popular) body style for as long as they did. Basically,10 years for the 308,then another 4 years for the 328.

5. davel

davel Guest

Just talked to Ken Sr using the # off the Ebay ad. This car is a good deal since Mr Ken told me he had the entire motor rebuilt, rings, valves etc at Motorcraft in Noblesville Ind, near Indy. The ignition has been upgraded to MSD that he recieved from them for less than 100 bucks since he has friends there. Motor was done at what he thought was 95 or 98k.
    Says people dont listen to him and are too hung up on the mileage. I like this guy. Love the car. Says drivers seat is worn out for the most part but most people knew that. This is the perfect true driver from what has been posted here and what Mr Ken told me. Nice ride for the $$$$

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I second all that: He is a very nice guy, the car felt very strong mechanically and the car would make a great driver.

7. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Any idea on what the reserve is?

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    My feeling is, that the auction won't reach the 50k reserve. So if somebody here is interested in the car, I'd say give Ken a call and negotiate a price.

He gave me the impression, that he is somebody who listens to a good offer.

10. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Was the motor redone at 95k miles or 95k kilometers?

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Dunno, but would guess it was at 95k miles.

If somebody is interested I got some more pictures of more detailed shots. But you really need to see the car in person and drive it in person.
    :)

12. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    For those of you who may not know, Motorcraft is John Hejduk's shop. He used to be located here (Bensenville) until he moved to Indiana to be closer to his son's race efforts. He is generally known as one of the very best Ferrari engine guys in the US. He was John D'Avola's mentor and really knows his stuff. I did not know he did Ken's engine. I'm negotiating on a Lamborghini right now--maybe I should forget it and go talk to Ken! Hmmmmmmmm.....

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    So, what happened with this baby? Private negotiations, anyone?

Would $40K buy it?????????