Chicago Auto Show | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Chicago Auto Show

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Jan 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I will visit some of my Car Dealers Buds and see if I can get some Passes....

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Cool. All we need now is somebody at the Ferrari stand who recognizes us (or maybe better yet: somebody who doesn't recognize us).
    :)

Frank, congrats to your new FChat name. Didn't know that was possible, but cool. So tell us again, why did you change it?....

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ah,for a few reasons...Will 'splain it to you when I see you at the Car Show....:)

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No splainin needed dude. From Magnum P.I. to Miami Vice! Kinda like me...

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    HeeHee! Yeah,I do want a Testarossa...But,am being constantly being reminded by 1/2-or-2 of the 4 People in my Family,that the 2 Seaters are nice...For 2. So,maybe a more practical solution,for now,anyway,would be a later year Mondial Cab. And keep the 308.

The 4 of us did have alot of fun with the Chrysler Sebring Convertible that we had for many Years....I don't know.....Right now,I have Business and Real Estate on my Mind...

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Understandable, but do yourself a favor and try one out first. Mondials are nice, but don't have much umpf, especially when loaded with passengers. If you want four seats and power take a look at a 400i or 456. 456 go like crazy.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Oh yeah,for sure a 412 or 456 would be better with the 12 Cylinder Engine. But,the family wants a Convertible...

I see 400 and 412 Straman Conversions come along in Hemmings every so often, THAT would be cool!

Or,get a Mondial Cab.,and stick a 502 Chevy Crate Motor in it,and............:)

Also,just reading in the Sunday Trib. Transportation Section....The Autoshow is going to Occupy both of the North AND the South McCormick Place Buildings this Year. It had only been in the Newer,Larger "South" Building.

This will bring the Square footage up from about 840,000 Square Feet to 1.2 Million Square Feet. Can I get anyone to pul me around in a Little Red Wagon...?....I'll even put some S/F Shields on it...:) (Kidding....:) )

They went on to say,this is so that the manufacturers will have alittle more space. And,that the SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) Show will be there. They will have all sorts of Cool AfterMarket Stuff for Cars. Not sure what,if any,for older Ferrari's. You never know...But,maybe if you want something particular,and can get enough orders,maybe can have one of these Manufacturers make it for you....( LIke my Astro Top idea....Right,Andreas...:) LOL!)

8. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    The 456's seem to be falling so fast that they will be hover around the price of a mint TR soon. Have you really considered getting one of these? With your up and up real estate and new business ventures, it might not be the best idea to go to sales calls in such a bad boy as they will think your percentages are off the chart. However, Mrs. Frank and Jr will fit well in such a car.

The Sultan made a convertible 456, ( probably a few of them as Fchat has many pics of the 4 door and Estate versions, ) and I am certain a Forza article talked about one that is out west in California.

I used to like the 400s but have yet to see one in years that didn't look tired. Maybe you like the retro look but all the ones I spotted at dealers and the street look like that traveled maybe too much and certainly weren't garage queens. Throw the looks of the 400 up against the 456 and there really is no hope for classic vs modern.

Please don't get a Mondial after getting all our hopes up on a TR. Also, have you ever sat in a TR? We're around the same height, ( over 6 feet, ) and there is no hope for me in this car as my right knee used the gear**** as a leg rest and my left leg had to be Cirque De Solei angled in.

RocketBoy

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Some good points. I agree the 456 is still free falling pricewise and so currently a bad timing. The TR has probably bottomed out. 400 definitely has.

Personally I love the design of the 400 series and think they got to be the most undervalued Ferraris there are. Yes you pay big maintenance costs for the 12 cylinders, but you also got a very unique and classy car. Look at the FCA events: There is that one dark blue 400 and that's it.

And if you don't like the looks, how about this:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46538

PS: I have seen the 456 Spider at the Marconi museum in Calif. It is an ex Brunei car and quite gorgeous. RHD.

10. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Wow. Makes the trying to be too modern 400 even more tired looking. That work is great, those lines really flow. I guess this means you will inspire Frank to contact bondo Fiero guy and attempt to use his fake light know-how in combination with Frank's great ambition to create, well, umm... a Ferrari turned Vette? A 400i into a PT cruiser? A 456 into a Chrysler Sebring? Oh the madness.

Hey, what happened to your Daytona project? No progress reports/pics?

RocketBoy

PS: Everyone states that the Marconi Museum is a must to see. Would you agree? Given that the Chicago Auto Show is too crowded and doesn't give such a rare feeling, how high would you rate this museum in Ferrari type places to attend in the US? I am sure you rate the Molsheim high, but what is good stateside? Personally, I think if you want to see a neat Ferrari, go to the dealer, not the auto show.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No progress to show pictures of. The car has been untouched since it got new brakes and suspension. The work has happened behind the scenes where we machined new hubs for the replica wheels. Also I won a series of ebay auctions for parts of the interior. Basically I'm waiting for spring time to take it out and have some more mechanical work overs: It needs seat belts, a new roof, AC and the like before we start putting in Ferrari parts.

The Marconi museum is absolutely top notch and IMHO one of the coolest places to go to: The collection is absolutely mind boggeling and I'm not even talking about the Ferrari part, which of course is top notch as well. F1 Ferraris, ex Sultan of Brunei Ferraris (truly one offs) and even your "run of the mill Ferraris" such as Daytona, Bbi and 246. So if you consider a Daytona "run of the mill" it gives you an idea on how rare the other Ferraris on display are.

In my list of Ferrari museums I would put it on #4 behind The Galleria (1), The Rosso (2) and the Schlumpf Museum in Mulhouse. But US wide I consider it #1. Until somebody shows me a cooler place (which probably exists, but not in public, I'm thinking about the collection up in Seattle).

PS: What is the Molsheim? Or did you mean the one in Mulhouse?

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Anyone else coming this Friday the 11th? Don't forget. There is a Parking Garage right across the street on the East Side, (King Drive) of McCormick Place. With a raised,enclosed walkway connecting to the McCormick Place Building.

Again,if you need to be renewing your drivers License anytine soon (The next few Months)...THIS IS 'THE' PLACE TO DO IT!!! Done in 5 Minutes!!!! Forget the Hassle and B.S. of going to the Secretary of State office.....I will NEVER do that again,now that I know about this Sweet deal...:)

And,I will be going around 10-11:00AM. So,I will be there all afternoon.

Next Friday the 18th. I will be going again,Early,with my Son. So,If anyone wants to meet up with us,we will be there.

They will also have a big,SEMA Area. And,upstairs,they also have an area selling all kinds of stuff....Accessories,Wheels,Radar Detectors,All sorts of Car Care Products,Die Cast Model Cars,Custom Air Brushed T-Shirts,You name it! A 'Must' Attend....:)

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Let me know if you are coming on Friday. I will meet you down by the Front Entrance,(King Drive side) and give you a Discount Pass. I will have my Cell phone on,but not too sure how well it will be working in there. It should. It's fairly new.

Send me a "P/M" and I'll give you my Cell #,if you don't already have it. (I have 4 Passes right now. Working on getting some more.)

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    2pm we said?

15. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Ok team, I just talked to Fank and Andreas. Frank and I plan to meet on Friday 2/11 at the Auto show. Right now we are planning to meet between 11-12 most likely at the entrance of the hotel. Andrea plans to meet us at the Ferrari booth at 3:00 pm and we'll go from there. Come join us. I won't be access the chat room from now till the show, so please make arrangements through Andreas or Frank.

Rick

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,Andreas. You did say 2:00PM. Rick and I are antsy....And,know that the First Day of the Auto Show is one of the most Crowded,next to the first Weekend. So,we are going a little bit early,then will meet you down by the front door around 2:00PM. Then,I gotta bail by around 3:00PM.

I am taking Frankie there next Friday,also. He has the Day Off. I used to take him before he had Full Time School,(1st. Grade) So,it will be Cool. Anyone else care to join us next Friday,we will probably be there by 10:00AM.

17. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Well, I went to the First Look last night....
    the show now spills over into another building, so there is MUCH more room, making it more enjoyable.
    Got to drool on a silver F430!
    Mike from FVM was supposed to meet me at the Shell Exotics, but did not return my calls.... I still weazeled my way in, sat in a Murci, Elise...

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Saw it in the news last night. Can't wait to see it in person today.

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,guys if you missed it...You MISSED IT!!!!

First,we met the Legendary, Mario Andretti. He most graciously Signed Autographs and let us take our Picture with Him. (Pix Coming Sunday Eve.)

Then,we met the Most Beautiful Miss Candi from FNA at the Ferrari Booth...Oh yeah...there were some cars there,too...:)

And,a Big Thank-You,very Much to David from Continental Autosports in Hinsdale for letting me into the roped off Ferrari Area to see the,(Yes,there were some Cars there,too...:) ) Beautiful new Ferrari's. That F430 is absolutely Cool!

Then,it was off to see Mike at the Fox Valley/Lamborghini/Lotus Booth. he most graciously allowed us in to see,view,and sit in the Lambo's and Lotuses...(LOT-I...?) Up close and Personal...:) Mike is a Great Guy,and if you are in the Market for a Lamborghini,Lotus,or other Exotic Car. He is your Man!

Great time. I am going back there Next Friday with my Son....Unfortunately,Mr. Andretti won't be there,but,maybe Candi will....:) (Oh yeah,and some nice cars,too...:) )

20. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Frank, when on Friday? I'm heading over at noon with some guys. Let me know.

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah,like Andreas said...I hope that they are still making RED Ferrari's...:)

I am definitely going back there this Friday,the 18th.,with my Son. Again,if anyone else wants to join up with us there,we'd be glad to have you join us.

22. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    That old Indy racer of Mario's is really cool. That's his winning car, right?

23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #50 FerrariFrank1, Feb 14, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes it is. Yeah,we were really surprised when we went there,and saw Mario Andretti signing Autographs. I had no idea that he was going to be there. He was only there from 11:00AM to 1:00PM,that day only So,we really Lucked out. Then,when we were over by the Ferrari/Maserati Booth. He was also there wearing a Long Wool Coat ,and with some of his Buds. They were checking out the Maserati 4 Door-er-Quattroporte....:)

I guess that it would be a good idea to keep checking the Chicago Auto Show site to see if/when they have any Special Celebrity Appearances,or other Special things. One year,Kevin Matthews,from WCKG was there the whole Afternoon Broadcasting his show. Funny stuff...

Another year,they had 'Tony the Tiger' at a Kellogs booth. They were taking your Picture,and putting it on a Frosted Flakes Box. So,we got my son,Frankie's picture on a whole Cereal Box. Cool for him,no doubt....:)

My Son also got to get into a Real Formula 1 Car,and get his Picture taken in it. Alas,it was not a Ferrari....but...very cool for a little boy. I'll try to find that picture and post it sometime...:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login