Child Seat in rear of 612 | FerrariChat

Child Seat in rear of 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by asg612, Feb 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Hi -

I was wondering if any of you 612 owners use child seats or child booster seats in the rear of your car? I've been searching for some pictures or model numbers of seats that will fit easily into the car. Also, this ISOfix system....is that the same as LATCH? If yes, I didnt feel the LATCH connectors in the rear of the 612 I looked at the other night. I did see these leather tabs with pictures of child seats on them. Are these tabs connected to the LATCH connectors?

this is a really important feature for me as I have a 2.5 year old son and 6 month old daughter. I find it fun to take the kids with me on a drive!

Any direction and previous experience that yuo are willing to share is greatly apprecaited.

What a great marketing campaign..... The Ferrari 612....The modern day Family Truckster!

Best regards,

asg

2. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No offense, but if you've got babies in your Ferrari you're abusing one or the other, IMHO.

Surely you've got something other than the 612 to putter around in with the kids.

3. DavkeG

DavkeG Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Isn't that why 2+2's are made?

4. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Hi -

Thanks for your concern and the chuckle. My 2.5 year old loves my porsche turbo. We've had some great bonding time in that car...and he's had some great naps! He love the sound of engines...he vrooms vrooms all day long. He is going to love this Ferrari as it has a most pleasing aural gutteral sound.

I can't be the only fool who desires to take a drive with his kidlets in his 612? Ferrari DID install car seat attachments back there.

Look - some pretzles and apple-juice didnt hurt the Porsche, and I doubt the 5 or 10 times this summer when I take my son for a ride in the F-car, it wont hurt either. I was interested to see if any of you guys had a safe, sturdy car-seat which you could recomend so I wouldnt have to go through the process by myself.

When I called Ferrari NA, they said they dont make any recomendations or sell car-seats for the 612. Its a bit disconcerting that they manufacturer the car with the ISOfix system, put these fancy leather tabs in the car to identify that a car seat can fit, and dont let you know which manufacturer or model fits the best.

And, Mike, If its you....you can tease me later about it!

Best regards,

asg

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That's ridiculous. I've driven my two kids around in Ferraris since they were babies. I took them to school this morning in the 456, in fact-- but they're no longer babies.

6. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Hi -

Thanks - but none of these are compatible with the ISOfix system (LATCH) as installed in the car. These seats which you graciously searched out and provided links for, are used with the seat belt as a restraint only. Also, these are conforming to the EU standards only, so I dont even know if these are DOT US approved.

Thanks for the effort! there has to be one guy here with a Brittax or Peg-Perego in the back.....

Best,

asg

7. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Indeed...didn't realize. Sorry.

Carlo

8. Ferrari_Michael

Ferrari_Michael Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2006
    Hello,
    I am too looking at child seat options, my heavily pregnant girlfriend is about to 'pop' soon, and I dont actually have a suitable car at the moment, and have always fancied a 612 so was looking into this. As my investigations so far have uncovered, ISOFIX is a generally universal fit, ie your ISOFIX child seat would fit in your Ferrari, BMW or Ford all the same. This also goes for the seat, if it is an ISOFIX seat, it will fit an ISOFIX compatible car. Hope this helps. Britax (seat manafacturer) seems to be my choice so far.

Best
    Michael J

9. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Well now...you are more daring than I! I would pay good money to see the look on the nurses face when you leave the hospital with a baby seat in your ferrari! PRICELESS!

I agree that the LATCH or ISOfix are interchangable....caveat is, the seats in the Ferrari are like real buckets and not all bases will fit in the "well" of the seat. You really want to get a snug fit for the car seat base for two reasons; 1. The lateral flex - you dont want the kids to tip over when cornering and 2. Acceleration and stopping, if the car seat doesnt fit perfectly, you may get front to back movement and wiggle.

My Porsche had the LATCH option installed in the front passenger's seat and the LATCH ISOfix carseat fit like it was bolted to the car. That's the kind of fit i'm looking for here.

An update....my local Ferrari Dealer called Ferrari NA and was told that they do not have any informtaion to share about child seats.

WHY PUT THE LATCHES IN THE CAR THEN!!!!!!!! Ferrari NA is near my house...I may just have to take a ride over there.....

asg

10. ggetz

ggetz Karting

Dec 20, 2007
    My wife is agitating to get seat covers for the rear so that our Doberman can ride in the 612! Give me apple juice any day...

BTW, any thoughts on suppliers for this? (No kidding, really). Not surprisingly, none of the "custom -- we fit any car" providers I've found so far make a rear seat cover for the 612 -- and as asg notes, the buckets are deep enough that generic solutions are likely not going to work.

Best,

Gary

11. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Teens & tweens are one thing, but "enthusiastic" driving with babies is another thing entirely, I'm not concerned with the spill factor so much as the sensitivity of little heads, necks and brains to rapid changes in the acceleration vector. Strap a six month-old in as tight as you dare, you aren't immobilizing its head.

And with that as a consideration why torture the Ferrari to run with reigns pulled tight when surely something more suitable is available?

Just a thought.

12. ferrariredered

ferrariredered Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Alb. New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Alex
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm looking at a 456/612 just for the reason of being able to take Mia to events. You can't fit adults back there, so why in the heck else have 2+2's? Of course you aren't going to take a baby tracking, but our local FCA chapter has several events a month like Fine Dining, Exotic Car Nights, First Wednesday's lunch, and car shows. It sucks now to have to take two cars (328 and the SUV).

BTW, I have a picture somewhere of a 456 with baby seat in back, fit perfect.

14. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm 6' and 190 lbs. and sat in the back of a 612 for approx. 45 min. and was fairly comfortable.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    great to hear!

16. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Hi -

While I think your suggestion has merit....I do not think a Maserati Quatroporte can be considered a Ferrari. I did drive one the other day at my dealer, and while nice and a car which I may consider at some point, it doesnt make by heart pump like a Ferrari.

Something about that horse.......

Also, I'm personalyl starting to find the Mas styling a bit to "Frilly" for my taste - the cars are very "bolbous" - front grilles could be nicer done with a slightly smaller emblem. Just some thoughts. Still, beautifully made and sounding cars!

17. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Luckiest................. Kids..................... EVER!

18. de993

de993 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    #19 de993, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agreed!! What's the fun in having a car if your kids can't enjoy it with you! My daughter has been hauled around with us since she was just a baby. The sound of the engine still puts her to sleep everytime! One of the baby specialty shops near me has an expert on fitting child seats. I'm sure where you live, they have the same. You might try taking the car to one of these people and have them match up the perfect baby seat.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Let me guess . . . You don't have kids, right?

20. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Guess I shouldn't post a pic of the baby seat in my car... :confused:

21. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not my own, three and a half year-old goddaughter. I can't imagine ripping around with her in any Ferrari when she was even a year younger, much less 6mos old, and I can't imagine what joy could be had driving a 612 at one-tenth-tenths.

They may act like monkeys, but they aren't nearly as strong.

22. ggetz

ggetz Karting

Dec 20, 2007
    Perhaps different people derive joy in different ways? I can certainly imagine that it would bring me joy taking my 82-year-old Mom out in the 612 from time to time when she visits -- and I would feel no temptation whatsoever to engage in boy racer tactics while doing so. One of the great joys to me of the 612 is that it has multiple personalities -- sure, you can rip around in it, but it's also a wonderful luxury (gasp!) car for daily driving. It's a strong car, but can be driven responsibly and enjoyably well below the limit.

By the way, I know asg in his guise as a watch collector -- and I have absolute confidence that he would no more snap his kids' heads to and fro in the car than he would operate a jackhammer wearing a vintage Patek chrono or go deep sea diving wearing a non-waterproof tourbillon.

Best,

Gary

23. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Mark,

I don't mean any disrespect with this question... but do you now, or have you ever owned a ferrari?

You say " I can't imagine what joy could be had driving a 612 at one-tenth-tenths"... perhaps your opinion is based on what you imagine driving a Ferrari should be like. Just a thought.

24. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    LOL!!!! - I have been known to change a tire on the FDR drive wearing a Journe Dead Seconds :).

Honestly, its an unbelieveable gift to watch my sons face as the engine revs in the 4 to 6 range. You dont have to accelerate fast to get the engine to rev that high....low gear, straightaway on a country road....nice looooooong vroom and my son goes wild. I always dreamed of driving in my dad's Ferrari....problem was, at that time Dad didnt have the means for one and even if he did, I could never see him doing it. So, this is, I guess, one of those things you do for yourself in some selfish way - but if spending some good quality time alone with my little guy is selfish, I want to be that guy each and every day!

Now Gary - if you can convince your Mom to take a cruise in your 612 - then my 60 year old mom shouldn't complain either! Imagine that, I can take my mom, dad and son for a ride with me in a FERRARI!!!! Maybe its not the "purists" car, but in this day and age, with all the options in the market available, Ferrari has been able to produce a car which is, dare I say, functional first, comfortable second and one mean SOB when you open it up! For all purposes could "practical" be uttered.....Geez Ferrari, what were you thinking?

I have more respect for the Ferrari company as they produce this practical, usable car....and they dont flood the market with them. Its not as ubiquitous as the Bentley or your run of the mill MB or BMW. Its got the curves, passion and soul of what Ferrari is, just with a back seat. I'm suprised more of you guys/gals out there dont snatch these babies up. Everyone can use the seats and space. Everyone. I think its along the lines of people who dont understand Patek or the Independant Watchmakers.....if you dont get it, you dont get it. But when you do, your horizons expand and your world changes for the better. Why conform! Viva la 4 seat, 12 cylinder Ferrari forever! 3 Cylinders per seat aint bad :).

be well,

asg