Chinetti Sues Ferrari | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Chinetti Sues Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Aug 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    You have a point here. I am sure there is some reasoning behind it all

2. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    http://www.scribd (dot) com/doc/101071607/Ferrari-Reply

3. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    thanks! Makes for interesting reading.

I can't see how Chinetti's claims could ever be rewarded. It is nothing short of utterly ridiculous.

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Either Ferrari really did a "pick and choose" on the points they responded to and thereby missed some significant items by Chinetti or the Chinetti suit is just seriously flawed. Certainly the Ferrari response paints a picture that they believe they can get this dismissed very quickly.

When a portion of the suit is based around 3 cars and one of them has already been sold it makes some of the logic of hindered saleability a little harder to assert.

Jeff

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I am a lawyer over here in the Netherlands, not at all familiar with US law and procedures (watching Boston Legal didn't get me any further), but the facts Ferrari are reacting to seem pretty much coherent with what the press is saying about the case. Especially 'count 3' makes me wonder. Is he really claiming Ferrari should pay damages because he sold the car for less money then if that same car was Classiche certified (if the car would indeed receive a certification once offered to Classiche for inspection)?

Then don't sell the car or sell it to someone who doesn't care about a Classiche certification. It is not very uncommon for people in the (Ferrari-)know to not care about Classiche certification. This thread alone is testament to that. and furthermore, what Chinetti is experiencing, ís the free market. The market is free for Ferrari to offer their services in authenticating a car and the market is free for potential buyers to put a value on a Classiche certification.

6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I missed a few of these post previously and wanted to reply:

Thank you for explaining this.

Wouldn't this be alot like taking a Lotus Exige and adding a different power train and calling it something like " Venom " - Is it still a Lotus or has it become something different?
    From what I understand the car is still titled as a Lotus... but Lotus would never stand behind the car for what are to me, obvious reasons.

For a car to be Classiche'd , it only has to be correct. I have not found anywhere that states you must purchase the part(s) FROM Ferrari. They must be LKQ. In order for them to be LKQ, one must refer to the build sheets.

This is also correct. Classiche does not state that a car cannot have been in an accident. They just want to document who did the work and that LKQ parts and materials were used. Ferrari does not have to have been the one to perform the work. Stuart's Paint and Body here in DFW does excellent work and many Ferrari's have been shown and win. Including cars that have been Classiche'd

I am still looking. I have not found anything that lists different types of Certificates. Will you help me , maybe lead me to where you first heard about it? What I can find is that in the end of the book, there are pages where upgrades, racing history, and other historical points may be documented. Thank you in advance for your help.

It does not have to have the original engine, it has to have a LKQ engine. And documentation of when / where / maybe why? If you said the Dino had a Fiero V6... THEN I would be concerned... LoL

The same price as listed, there isn't a premium that I can find. Having records explaining the why behind the replacement helps too. That is part of what the Classiche department researches on your behalf, for the fee.

What parts would they not sell to you? You know, if you still want or need, I am sure we can help get what you want. Unless for some reason the VIN is blocked? Even then, I am happy to help.

Why won't the Dealership you purchased the F430 Scuderia from help you out?

LMK if we can help,

I'm not sure what car you are referring to, but I am interested to look into it, since you brought it up. To answer your question, whichever party can prove their case, that's the one I would tend to agree with. If the car matches up to the specs on the build sheets and all documentation is present.. I would lean that way. If MM has the same documentation showing it does not... well... I would have a headache..

Please link me to the car you are referring to, so I can learn more about the situation
    ( I'm assumiung it to be a real situation )

The manufacturer isn't certifing the race car, they would certifiy what and how it left the factory. I wouldn't want to put it back to stock.. I'd document that points that can be checked off and then in the end of the form, document everything possible of its upgrades and relavant race history.

I know, reading back though, I can see what could have been implied. LoL

I couldn't imagine Ferrari SpA running FCA... that would take the balance out of it all...

S

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    @SAFE4NOW

The parts Ferrari refused to sell us were spare parts for our GT2 which we were using on P 4/5 C.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372734

The head of Racing OK'd us buying racing parts for P 4/5 C then due to pressure from 'above" rescinded the offer. Other's offered to sell us parts and we re engineered so much that we no longer need anything from the factory. Because of this we are now considered by the FIA to be a constructor and will likely win an FIA Constructor's Trophy for Alternate Energy Cars in Class 7. None of our points will go to Ferrari.

One of the cars that was on display in the Galleria was a fake 250 Calif made by Tony Auto Body. Marcel pointed it out on a thread in Vintage. After a while the car disappeared from the Galleria.

Another one display at the galleria was a race car that was liveried as a winning car which it wasn't.

Marcel described that in another thread. Search his posts you'll find them. There is NO question that Marcel was right about both cars.

8. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Why do I get the feeling that this is a "FACTORY" based question for a HIGH PROFILE vehicle?

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Thank youffor the direction, I'll spend some time reading now.

We've run into that before when we tried to Source an engine... we were blocked from selling it without a VIN ( and the VIN had to match ) etc... for another well known builder / tuner.

Good Luck in your racing ventures,

Will you be out for the F1 race here in November?

S

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I remember Randy calling me last year about selling parts to Challenge Club Racing. I told him that would be awesome, but I had a feeling how that would go when Italy found out from other things I had heard. Sure enough y'all couldn't do anything although you wanted to. :)

Kinda makes it harder for retired Challenge cars to race when dealers aren't allowed to support them. Heck, I bought the car from Boardwalk and it is still 100% a Ferrari, but you can't support me racing in the series. :confused:

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Rob

If we keep racing and build P 4/5 LMP 1 cars we'll be selling customer cars which we will support. If you buy one I'll personally make sure you can buy any spares you need. I could see you blasting down the Mulsanne at 200 in the rain...

:)

12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Oh really? Hmm... yet another point I need to follow up on tomorrow.

The engine we were being asked for was not going in a Ferrari Per Se.. kinda a different situation. If a challenge car needed an engine, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to help..

This makes no sense,

S

13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    The first car I believe to receive this "type 2" ceritifcate was the Breadvan. I think it's called something like car of special interest/importance. It's been modified (heavily) after it left the factory gates but is recognized by the factory anyway, hence the special certification. Another example I believe is the 308 GT/M. Oh, and the binder is white, not red.

14. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    1st car, 308 GT/M, white binder

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    #240 Smiles, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is this the original complaint?

If so, all it says is that Chinetti is the rightful owner of a certain 166 F-2 car that won at Le Mans; Chinetti has paid estate taxes even though it remains in Ferrari's possession. Chinetti has no recourse and asks that the court order Ferrari to return it.

Unless I missed another suit in the same jurisdiction, there's nothing about suing to cancel a trademark, and nothing about the classiche program.

If there is a new complaint, will someone please post it?

Matt
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's another lawsuit altogether Chinetti has filed against Ferrari. LC (Sr.) owns a car that was lent to the Ferrari museum. When LC (Sr.) died ownership passed to LC (Jr) therefore taxes are due to the US IRS. LC (Jr.) has to sell the car to pay those taxes. Ferrari has refused to return the car to LC (Jr.) so LC (Jr.) is suing them for the return of that car.

The trademark suit will have to decide different interesting things than if Ferrari has to return that particular car such as can Ferrari stop someone from using the color yellow on a shield? From using Font that was used on the US Declaration of Independence? From using The American flag banner on a shield? A rearing horse that the City of Stuttgart has been using for Hundreds of years? The Rearing Horse that NART has been using for 40 years? Are 275 GTB NART's counterfeit Ferrari's? Were other NART badged Ferrari's not Ferrari's? If so as Ferrari used points won by NART to win FIA World Championships will those World Championships be null and void and have to be expunged from Ferrari's race record? Penn State has similar issues regarding the recent sanctions that voided some of their past victories. Whether Ferrari's pressuring people running major events with economic sanction if they allow modified Ferrari's to be displayed at those events is Antitrade. Kafka understated things in "The Trail".

17. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Btw you know that there are rumors that the horse of Ferrari came from Stuttgart all the while. According to Mr Yates in his book, the pilot Barraca actually shot down a German plane and took over the horse Emblem. I guess we will never know the true story behind the emblem of Ferrari....

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #243 Napolis, Aug 9, 2012

Best

19. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Barraca's horse had the tail downwards, so I guess there's no truth in that Porsche story.

20. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If true it only enhances the mystique.

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #246 Napolis, Aug 9, 2012
  22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If I bring my challenge car over for you to work on there is no problem. What the dealers can't do is support customer cars at the series this year as they did last year. Look at the CCR teams, not a single dealer! Also what Randy wanted to do offering a group parts discount (like FCA) to all CCR racers wasn't allowed.

Personally I would be thrilled to have 30+ Challenge cars out there doing something more than collecting dust. They break many more parts and require more service when being run in anger. Only Ferrari angle I can think of is they want to run a retired challenge series and CCR would be competition unless they can work out a partnership deal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUyt1P16yAc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q4hCNieKuU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPmBJyF6jCI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hc0CQ6uxas[/ame]

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Since Ferrari forbid dealers to support CCR has the grid size diminished?

I thought CCR event I saw at Monticello was pretty cool.

(Especially the pace car)

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It was a great event and you added icing to it! :)

25. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    #250 piloti, Aug 9, 2012
    Like this
    Nathan