Chinetti Sues Ferrari | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Chinetti Sues Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Aug 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Agreed, and that is the twisted path being discussed. It is a fact that cant be ignored, it must be faced head on and once that "moment" is chosen for the restoration.....

Many folks far sharper than myself have thoughts about 3223... having been hands dirty laying in the dirt in many paddocks, I have my own. Which moment or set of facts does one choose? Frankly, as I stated before, its an evolution, a work in progress, and to reverse any of it would amount to having lost a piece of history. Does that make it worth any less than when it first left the factory? I suggest the changes and the added history add greatly to both its historical and collectable value.

http://www.johnstarkeycars.com/pages/articles/articles_07.html

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    ... and I respect and admire it for what it is!

Personally for me, I wonder at the Innovations of the folks in the pits and the garages who made these cars better than what they left the factory as. After all, THAT alone is what Competition is all about... finding a better way and advancing what is known at any given moment.

In no way does that lessen a Perfectly restored Cal Spider, that too is a work of art but in an entirely different light.

3. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Who wants Pipers 250LM restored to original?

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #204 Napolis, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Moments in Time are VERY fleeting as these two photo's show.

In Qualifying our KERS GREEN sticker on our rear wing was white.

In the Race it was Red and Green.

Also note that we ran two noses in the race. One for for the Day and one with extra lights at Night. The extra lights blocked cooling but at night when it was cooler that wasn't an issue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    wrt racecars that are heavily modified, it ceases to be the manufactures car and more the entrants car. how can a manufacturer certify mods 20-40 yrs after the fact, when they may not even know about the mods and how they were performed and by whom?
    ed

6. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Exacto.

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #207 Napolis, Aug 8, 2012
  8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #208 SAFE4NOW, Aug 8, 2012
    Please see attached price list in Euro, per your request, as of Feb 2011:

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I believe in the benefit and good of a free market system. If Ferrari is more involved in the vintage cars simply because of the ability to make money, I'm fine with that. That gives owners another choice in the market they can use or not. If Ferrari is trying to monopolize or control all the vintage cars that is a very bad thing. I believe the era of the SD computers trying to keep it out of the independents hands is a very bad thing. They haven't been completely successful, but they have tried to control the late model service market this way. How about expanding control over Ferrari clubs? Maybe all of this is just the Italian way of doing business. :confused:

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think the prices are reasonable. Actually seems like they have come down from when my 328 was first done (although I got the first timer deal ;)).

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thanks very much, Steve. Much appreciated. So we have the entry fee, retail price and research costs to pay. Please could you clarify the metallurgical test and if possible the cost? Thanks very much in advance.

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It will be interesting to see if these become issues in this lawsuit.

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Veering slightly off topic, Massachusettes has just passed. "right to reapair" law that mandates manufacturers provide access (for a fee) to all diagnostic hardware and software for any car sold in the state.

14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I can understand the frustrations and concerns clients are having. I understand where clients like Jim are coming from.

Now, imagine that this IS the Italian way of doing business, the business that all Ferrari Dealerships work with on a daily basis. When ordering replacement parts. When submitting a warranty claim for repair. When trying to perform a simple task like replacing the windshield in a 3x8 body car.

As I stated early in this thread, I am engaging this topic as a way to learn, a way to get perspective, better myself so that I may better serve the client.... I am getting a crash course for sure.

Regarding the SD computers, I have been on both sides of this story. As an independant who want to and tried to offer services to the Ferrari community , we paid large $$$$ for the SD3 and associated equipment / connectors / updates, etc... 50% of the time the SD3 wasn't needed or was worked around. The rest of the time was spent trying to figure out how it was supposed to work.

MY opinion is that Ferrari doesn't want just anyone working with these cars, they need to know what they are doing and how to do it. They don't want to see a Ferrari on the side of the road because an independant didn't realize its a dry sump oiling system and overfilled it...
    SD3's are the same way... just handing them out to whoever can cause more problems than it serves. Make sure the shops that get them are trained how to use them... just like a Dealership is. That's fair, right?

Ferrari Clubs.... we'll no... that's you and Don's area of expertise... you can have it... < wink >

S

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It will be interesting where "right to repair" law goes and changes it
    causes. It's all part of the anti competive/anti trust issues LC's lawsuit
    against Ferrari is raising.

16. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    That price varies. And the price I would charge could be different than the Classiche department in your neck of the woods would.

S

17. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    You know, that never made sense to me... if someone wants to work on any car, help them to, provide the same training that the Dealership gets. Provide the same tools as well. Put us all on the same playing field, but keep them accountable to the same standards we are.

Can't have your cake and eat it to now,

S

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    "interesting times"
    There are potentionally widespread implications.

19. penelope pitstop

Dec 1, 2006
    Your place or mine
    Full Name:
    PJ

Am I alone in seeing a historical link here ??????? if my memory is correct I recall the Popes in ancient Rome selling off Indulgencies to Penitants .............. Ie;- for a sum of money or gift of lands one could buy your way out of Hell and into heaven ;~} the whip has been replaced by the invoice and Heaven is a Classiche diploma for a moody car, nothing has changed ........... Penny.

20. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I really don't see how the services Ferrari are offering through Classiche, could be labeled anti- free market. Offering those services is in fact a very good example of exploiting the free market. No one is required to make use of those services. Not even Coco Chinetti. If that means he has difficulty selling his 365P, because potential buyers want a Classiche-certificate but Coco refuses to get one, so be it. Again, free market.

Whether or not the services offered through Classiche have any raison d'etre or the services are of the quality a paying costumer may expect, is an entirely different matter.

21. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    But a 308, or a Boxer is/was not limited production. It doesn't make sense to exclude some types of Ferraris, of the same years of manufacture, while allowing others to be certified. If you are just trying to determine whether or not a certain "430" was a 16M, or not, a simple check of the vin would accomplish that.

George

22. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I have read the Ferrari response to Lou's lawsuit (but not Lou's filing). The Ferrari response sure runs a lot of holes through Lou's assertions and underlying logic.

Sure would like to read the actual filing by Lou Chinetti.

Jeff

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I wasn't talking about Boardwalk and FCA DFW, I was talking about Ferrari Italy and FCA (all Ferrari clubs in world too).

24. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    where can I get this from?

25. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    They 'honor' my T but hate my 456

have me happy and sad all at the same time.

Guess I'd better throw away the 456 now....so sad, Enzo liked it. [ :( LUCA!!!!!!]