Chrysler 300C | FerrariChat

Chrysler 300C

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by MarineVette, Apr 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarineVette

MarineVette Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Just got done driving a 2005 Chrysler 300C for the past few days. And to my surprise, it was not as that bad. The fusion of technology is certainly present between Diamler and Chrysler as there are many E-Class parts in the interior. What was a real treat was the engine, 340 HP Hemi. It got that car up and moving, I think Car and Driver did a review on it just recently and it got to 60 in like 5.3 seconds. Not too shabby for 34 grand. I know though, its still a Chrysler.............but I was impressed.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Isn't it interesting that Chrysler's advertising tries to take advantage of the old "hemi" mystique while the best engines now use flat or nearly flat combustion chambers (literbikes and F1 cars)? I'm amazed at how many pseudo-technical males puff their chests out and get a slightly glazed look to their eyes when they say the word "hemi". They buy it hook, line and sinker.

Give me a break.

No offense intended to Hemi owners, I know they are the best and most powerful cars and absolutely reek testosterone and chest hair......

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Indeed, the reason the hemi worked well (back then) was that the exhaust vavle was on the "other" side of the head and thereby, the exhaust gasses has easier egress into the header. This allowed the intake and exhaust ports to have "better" shapes (e.g. fewer turns more rounded profile). It had nothing to do with the shape of the combustion chamber!

Note the F355 and 360 engines have a pyrimidal arrangement of valves. The outer 2 intake valves are angled towards each other (4.8 degrees?) as well as being pointed towards a common point with the exhaust valves.

F1 engines have a true pyrimidal arrangement of valves where each valve points towaards the center of the cylinder bore. The current art is around 22 degrees of angulation between opposite vavles--e.g. a rather flat chamber shape.

4. tacoz4sale

tacoz4sale Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    *cough*bentleybodyshape*cough*

neat package for the price though...but that name "chrysler" still bugs me...

5. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I had a previous generation 300M. Drove it 65k miles in 18 months for work without any maintenance except new tires and a bent rim. I will definitely get the new on when the get the AWD into production for about a year. Big power, large sedan and loaded for 1/2 the cost of a 3 yr old 7 series bimmer. I think everyone still has the 80's mentality regarding US quality. Toss out the Geo's and all that junk and the cars do well. Go to an Audi, Bimmer forum on the web and owners complain about blown engine gaskets and trans. failures. Go to a Chrysler, Buick forum and they complain about some annoying rattles.

6. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    American cars are pretty good and long lasting, but there like the OZZFEST on wheels.

7. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I like that big ol' Dodge Magnum for some reason a little more then it's 300C brother. I still have yet to see a 300 in black however and I'm sure that'll change my mind :)

8. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Give ME a break. The combustion chambers are hemispherical, I'm looking at the teardown pics right now.

Oh by the way, 7000hp top fuel dragsters have hemi-heads. :)

9. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Of course they are, I never said they were not. I said literbike and F1 cars use slightly domed chambers (with nearly flat piston crowns). :)

10. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    My apologies, Mike. After re-reading your post I realized my mistake. I thought you were implying that the new engine wasn't a true hemi. Sorry. :)

11. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

No problemo.

BTW, my 16yo daughter's BF's parents just bought a Durango with the Hemi. He just drove it over here (prom night), pretty impressive machine! They are going to sell a TON of those.

12. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    It's funny how everyone rants on average cars, but don't use their f-cars everyday ... damn ...do you all have rollerblades? LMAO

It's a Chrysler, and Hemi is just for the name, but I'd say you get your money's worth with this baby. I personally love the looks, and the V8 calls me. Since my chest isn't very hairy, I'd add a set of slightly more flowing exhausts and call it a nice everyday car. :D

If I was in the market for such car right now, I'd hit it! Just to encourage the big engines in average cars :D

13. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    What I don't understand is why the Hemi version has 340hp, and the other V8 version has 390hp... Why would Chrysler do this?

-DC

14. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    ** Sorta resembles the Bently Arnage exterior doesn't it ? Buy the Chrysler and save enough to buy a house and have West Coast Choppers build you a custom bike.

FAMILY MAN