Chuck Queener | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Chuck Queener

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Chuck Queener, Mar 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. etceterini.com

etceterini.com Karting

May 26, 2008
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Cliff Reuter

It was 39 or so years ago after all!

For some reason this car has had many inaccuracies about it's history
    talked about and published. This history above is correct of course,
    and then it went to my Dad for $8,400 in 1970, and then to Fred, and then to
    the current owner.

The one inaccuracy that is still out there is that the frame is different
    on this car than the other GTO's, and is that of a Super America (SA).
    My Dad, who restored the car, says it was the same as other
    GTO's he'd seen. So, not 3765SA......Any thoughts??

Is this the 250MM that was first owned by Bill Devin? If so my Dad had that car too.

You can see more of our pictures of the GTO and others we owned by clicking below:

http://www.cliffreuter.com/ferrari.htm

-cr

2. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    The one inaccuracy that is still out there is that the frame is different
    on this car than the other GTO's, and is that of a Super America (SA).
    My Dad, who restored the car, says it was the same as other
    GTO's he'd seen. So, not 3765SA......Any thoughts??

http://www.cliffreuter.com/ferrari.htm

Cliff,

According to Michael Lynch's research in Cavallino, 3765 bears a unique chassis- designated Tipo 538/566.

Some have contended "it's not one of the GTO's because it didn't have a 3 liter engine" or words to that effect. I say no to that- the factory fitted 3765 with 3 liter motor 0796 TR for its second owner in 1963 or 1964 (which, as you well know, it carries to this day).
    3765 was raced in Italy in period as a homologated GTO with that engine. It allegedly won the Sicilian hillclimb championship in 1965 (something I know nothing about but have heard in conjunction with this car's history.

I think all the confusion lies (and always has) with the world's two most expensive 400 Superamericas; 1. 3673 SA, a standard 400 SA bodied as a 250 GT (SWB) and only recently rebodied as a GTO. and, 2. 4561 SA, a standard 400 SA bodied as a GTO for Ferrari board member Jean-Paul Cavallier (and, as such, in the position to order presumably anything he wanted from Mr. Ferrari- including a Superamerica with a GTO body).

So, to sum up, including 4713 GT (the only GTO to carry the LMB style body), 37 GTO's. All present and accounted for. And in my mind, 3765 has always been one of the most desirable ones.

SA or LM... that's above my paygrade. But, GTO through and through.

Best,
    Dave

3. etceterini.com

etceterini.com Karting

May 26, 2008
    St. Louis MO
    Full Name:
    Cliff Reuter
    After the Lynch article Fred Leydorf went to the Ferrari factory and got the build sheets for 3765. They
    told him and the papers show that this is a STANDARD GTO frame. I'll try to publish these documents
    so as to put this to rest once and for all. Although this might not be enough for some, so some time in
    the future I'll go to Jaeger's and photo the frame. Not really a big deal in the large scale just something
    I'd like to have historically correct......

4. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Wow. That's excellent. I for one would love to see the documents if they do get published. If you make the trip to do the photography, make sure you get to take the car for a drive :)

Best,
    Dave

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    #80 Motob, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The frame on 3765 is slightly different from a regular 250 GTO, and maybe this is why the factory gave it a new chassis designation.

The front motor mounts on the 4 liter engine block are located forward of those on the 3 liter motor. When the car was returned to the factory to have the 3 liter motor from 0796 installed, they had to weld new front motor mounts to the chassis. They left the original 4 liter mounts in place, so that motor could be reinstalled if so desired. Notice that the 3 liter mounts are not quite as nice as the original 4 liter mounts.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Terra, readplays and miurasv like this.
  6. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004

The other difference to the frame, is a notch in the front cross member to allow clearance for the front belt pulley which is attached to the crank shaft on the 4 Lit engine

miurasv and readplays like this.
  7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very interesting. The same thing happened to 0846's P3 chassis when Ferrari replaced it's P3 Motor with a P4 motor in December 1967.

See pages 65-76: http://www.glickenhaus.com/jim/project.pdf

8. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Thanks for bring that (pdf) up again; I had gone through it not long after I joined this forum.

Have you compiled a similar report on 002C (cockpit shown on pg 97 in the above referenced pdf)? I would love to read more about that car, if you have something publicly available.

Thanks!

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    There are a number of 002C threads which should come up on search. We've just finished restoring 002C's engine and gearbox in Modena and are about to embark on restoring the rest. We may ship her back to Modena for this and display her at the Factory at some point. Ferrari has been very helpful in this endeavour.

10. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Okay, yes, I've been through most of them already, but I am always interested in going through them again. You never know when you'll come across something you've previously missed.

I'm sure the factory would be quite pleased to have 002C on display.

I think what fascinates me the most about your car, is to imagine the atmosphere (inside the workshops) when it was being built; those working on its construction had to driven by excitement, and couldn't have had any idea where that path was to lead. If only she could talk (though I expect she does, to those lucky to be close enough to listen).

Back to you, Chuck...

11. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Henry's GTO, 5111GT, has been here in Greenwich, CT for close to 35 years. To get better handling out of the Dunlops they over-inflated them. I've forgotten what the best psi was but it made big difference.

CQ

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks. I was paraphrasing H M's ad from memory.

13. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Ed, did I ever thank you for finding me that 400i? Well, the minute it was being driven off the truck I said to my wife, "It needs a muffler!" We ordered one, had it installed, and it then made noises I'd never heard before. The system was guaranteed and the car has been at "The Spa", as said wife likes to say waiting for instillation. Hopefully after the snow melts this problem will be fixed. I had scheduled the winter months to do the bushings, engine mounts, new (straighten) tie rod, hood adjustment, filler cap alignment, etc. At least gas prices are down. :)

As for being Ed's best man I think the only requirement was that I show up!

Two of the cars I was fortunate to play with were owned by Mr. Niles. The first was a ’62 yellow SWB (Lusso). The other was 275GTB/C. The SWB has a story that I'm sure I never told Ed, while the GTB was pretty net with some strange upside down saxophone-like velocity stacks. There were others but my memory is fading.

Thanks Ed. Call me.

Chuck

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Chuck,

What about your summer with Bud Keeney's 250 LM? You warned me about driving Epstien's LM that never, ever, under any circumstances to back out if it gets loose. Something about even Phil Hill at his finest couldn't catch an LM when it comes around. Actually had to remember that one time while driving 5909 as the stone wall was getting closer.

Jeff

15. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Jeff,

Bud was traveling and didn't want to leave the car with the people that had just done some repair. He asked me to look after it so I picked it up and drove it back and forth from Mission Viejo to Newport Beach. No one paid any attention in those days but I would dump the clutch if I passed a cop. I gave everyone at Road & Track ride's and Tom Bryant wrote about his first ride in a Ferrari in his column in the September 1998 issue. It was fun but on that first drive home from the garage, on the 405, I smelled gas. I pulled over, lifted the tail and found a fuel leak on the right tank. It was just a clamp that needed tightening but it could have been nasty.

CQ

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chuck- Good to see you on the Forum. Great story on the 250 LM. Still enjoying the painting you did for me of my old Daytona. Very nice work. Marcel told me in a Daytona thread it went back to Europe and had the top chopped off. Oh, well.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The only time I got pulled over in 5909 was after going through the tunnel interchange in Pasadena of 210 to 134. I was idling along under the speed limit (splitting headache from the noise). Got "fix it tickets" and an expired registration. I managed to hide that there was a registration sticker on the plate but I had already found out it was for Bob's Morris Minor woody wagon; that was a major item not just a moving infraction.

With the fuel leak you too could have suffered the fate of the other LM up in the Hollywood Hills; good Samaritan lights a flare but the gas gets to the flare and crispies an otherwise repairable LM. You probably know the story from first hand accounts; I only read about it.

Jeff

18. Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener Karting

May 18, 2006
    Looking at all this nonsense on the GTOs reminded me of a letter Henry wrote to Dean Batchelor about 5111GT. In his last paragraph he said "The GTO is a motorcar with balls."

Chuck Q

19. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #94 bannishg, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
    Does anyone know the month in 1971 this ad appeared in?

Greg

20. kafugelum308

kafugelum308 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2003
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    M Bradley
    There is an ad in the January 1971 R&T Market Place for a 1963 GTO ($9000). For sale by H.M. Kelly in Oak Grove Ca.

21. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yeah, I have that one, the price is actually $9900. He also offers an LM for $12900 and the pair for $22000 Firm. I don't think this is the one they're talking about but thanks anyway for the help, still captures the essence of the early 70s market.

I own the following R&T's from 71: Jan, Feb, Apr, May, Oct and Dec. This means Manney's GTO is offered in one of the six not mentioned. Again, if anyone knows the month, let me know please!

Greg

22. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    As I remember the Manny ad appeared earlier than 71 and the price was closer to 6K.

23. kafugelum308

kafugelum308 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2003
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    M Bradley
    I could not find any Manney GTO ad in R&T Market Place for any issue in 1971 or 1970.

24. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I haven't pulled out my 1971 R&T issues recently, so I speak from somewhat clouded memory, but I do recall seeing one 1971 R&T classified ad for a 1963 GTO (with photo attached), which, after much detailed copy, asked the princely sum of $8,500.00. Since a Cadillac Fleetwood retailed for about $10,000.00 in '71, that puts the price, and the esteem in which old Ferrari race cars were held, into clearer perspective. Fred

25. bannishg

bannishg Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Springfield area, MA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #100 bannishg, May 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
    Fred, If you could find the month for THAT specific ad (the one with the picture, NOT the Manney car) I'll be forever in your debt.

Greg