Cirrus Pilots :/ | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cirrus Pilots :/

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Oct 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I believe this is correct.

Besides the g-levels experienced upon 'landing' the chute straps that connect the risers to the airframe are embedded within the structure. When the chute deploys these straps rip open portions of the fuselage skin. Thus at a minimum the fuselage would have to be extensively repaired.

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I just found in wiki that 14 of the 91 deployments have been checked by Cirrus and put back into service... including the very first deployment (it landed in thick mesquite that cushioned the impact).

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    At risk of boring everyone, I was awakened by this thread to think back about my PPL check ride and it brought up some memories. I had an "engine failure "on take off and I had to announce my intentions. After reaching the test area I had to perform spins to the right with a precision point of recovery after 2 turns, 2 1/2 turns, and maybe 3. Then spins to the left with the same recovery on a point. Then it was 720's to the right with no loss of altitude and coming out on the starting point. Same to the left. Stalls in a power off turn, stalls in a climbing turn, 3 full power stalls with stick in the gut and a straight ahead recovery. Rolling on a point, a falling leaf, eights on pylon ("power failure" in the middle of it), pylon eights (one pylon with turns at either end and crossing the pylon with each change of direction), both set up with a 90 deg crosswind. He threw in a chandelle and we finished with 4 power off accuracy landings.

4. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Maybe the pilot just wanted insurance to buy him a new plane?

5. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/safety_programs/w/safety_pages/723.cirrus-caps-history.aspx#CAPS_Planes_that_Were_Repaired_and_Flew_Again

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Bob, you'll never bore us. Your presence on this forum is indispensable.

arizonaitalian, Jaguar36 and ND Flack like this.
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what is the first thing a Cirrus pilot says when the engine quits?

“well chute!”

ok, bad I know. ;)

Jacob Potts, SAFE4NOW and jcurry like this.
  8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

None of the jets will be salvageable... the 'chute is in the nose.
    The plane hits the ground vertically, tail down.

9. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It deploys from the nose, but that does not necessarily mean it 'hangs' from the nose. Any pics?

Check out the 1:43 mark. Not sure if this represents the final configuration, but there appear to be risers attached near the aft end of the cabin.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Jim. I haven't thought that the jabbering about days past has any importance now but I enjoy kicking it around. If it entertains everybody I'm all for it. Being retired allows me to sit in my chair and make up some more stuff. Problem is, I don't have a cat to stroke while I'm snoozing. Honestly, I find myself going through my flying days and doing things in my mind that I enjoyed so much. When I mentioned my PPL flight test I re-lived going from a righthand 720 , coming out on point and immediately rolling into the left 720 and maintaining altitude. I sure as hell couldn't do that today without wallowing all over the sky. Maybe when I get my final wings, I will do better....if I'm not assigned to cleaning the grease pits....and that's a real possibility.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Cool...got a link to the NTSB report? I like reading about success stories too.

13. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Not sure there was ever an NTSB report. I landed it at an uncontrolled airport. I did fill out a NASA report to cover my butt but no one ever contacted me from the NTSB even though ATC clearly knew I was having an emergency. I was in class A airspace when I declared.

14. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I semi-remember some quote by one of the Cirrus founders back when I was actively flying. Something like this when he was asked if they want every Bonanza owner to become a Cirrus owner and he responded no, we want every BMW owner to become a Cirrus owner. (Maybe someone can correct?)

rob lay likes this.
  15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Wow. Bummer. Most of us fly thousands of hours without experiencing engine failures. You fly a relatively new airplane and the motor craps the bed and nobody cares. The government dropping the ball I get. But Cirrus too. Reports on these types of events are a cornerstone of aviation safety. That’s really sad. Glad it worked out well for you. Great work!

16. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Partly why I now fly a twin-engined turbine!

17. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I think that may have been one if our real Ferriestas on here? Jeff Ippoliti who was a founder of Celebration in FL.

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Hmm, happened in 02 in N. Texas.
    So, no... Jeff's was in 04 near Ft. Lauderdale it looks like.

19. paulyp

paulyp Karting

Dec 11, 2011
    Dallas
    I am in no way a pilot or a plane owner, however I ran across this thread on Reddit r/avation which might have played into this incident and the reason to pull the cord, a financial one based on insurance payouts:

"Another crappy incentive: in a Cirrus with an engine out, if you land the plane safely you pay for the overhaul, but if you pull the chute and live it’s free. ‍

Edit: source - happened to my friend. His cylinder blew threw the engine and cowling, spewed oil everywhere and he decided he had enough time, airspeed and altitude to safely attempt a landing. He had the best landing of his life, but had to shell out like $35k for the engine overhaul. He later learned from the insurance company that they wouldn’t pay because he didn’t pull the chute because that’s technically what you’re supposed to do according to the POH.
    "

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comments/9hynn1/pilot_of_piper_pa30_performs_perfect_belly_landing/

20. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    Rob, while i agree that ideally (!) you don't pull above a densely populated area, you also know you can't control when a catastrophic event like an engine fire occurs.... It is pretty clear that in this case, he will (or has) lost his engine, and as such he will need to make an emergency landing. The mandated SOP is to pull the chute. This has nothing to do with 'new Cirrus type pilots', but with 'following what the FOM / AFM mandates'. As a result, over 80 successful CAPS deployments have occured where people have walked away.... It's commendable... quite the opposite of your comment.

rob lay likes this.
  21. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Anybody have a current SR22 or SR22 POH handy? Here's an excerpt from an older one. It seems to leave some room for pilot judgement...as it should IMHO.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Envision likes this.
  22. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Should one consider the % of incidents at altitude vs near-ground level to see how that factors into Cirrus pilots' (or I suppose any other brand pilots) decision-making? I assume at altitude you have more time to exercise judgement skills as opposed to 'just trying to save your ass' at 150 feet? Not a licensed pilot so just asking......correct me if there is protocol I don't know of.....

23. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Depends on the circumstances. For an extreme example, if at night, in weather, and over mountains then just pulling the chute might not be a bad idea.

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Ooh Yeah! I would have to agree with that.

25. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Well, I guess that would be the exercise of judgement!