355 - Clarion NZ503 Headunit & Clarion CC520 Backup Camera Install | Page 2 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    love the little hole in the licence plate - great work!

I mounted my gps antenna under the dash - I partly removed the passenger side air bag, and mounted it to the underside of the dash near the window screen edge = totally hidden and works perfectly, no effect on reception.

Grant - love the TPS idea!!!!

2. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Yes'r, it is the integrated back-up camera. I first mocked it up at the license plate-light position then I realized it could be hidden better by mounting it behind the license plate. All I needed to do was securely mount it and enlarge one of the lower holes on the license plate to provide a clear view for the lens.

3. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    #28 F1ScuderiaTifosi, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  4. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Much appreciated!

If the GPS's antenna begins to bother me I'll relocate it. If I do, I'll mount it the same way as you did. It's helpful to know the reception isn't affected there, thanks.

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I’m sitting here thinking, what the heck is TPS?

It’s TPMS.

6. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    #31 F1ScuderiaTifosi, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    LOL, apologies for the error. Apparently I've watched Office Space wayyy too many times. :D

7. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    I almost forgot to include what had to be done for the parking brake safety feature... The stereo system has a lot of features, one is it's ability to play DVD movies. Although, it would be a bad idea to watch a movie while driving so there is a "parking brake cord" that needs to be connected to the vehicle's parking brake wire. When connected and when the parking brake is engaged, a signal can indicate to the head-unit that the vehicle is stationary, allowing you to watch Office Space on the monitor. There is only 1 wire leading to the switch (#9) in the parking brake mechanism so it's impossible to miss. To access said wire, I removed the 3 screws (one is at the base of the engine hatch lever assembly) securing the leather console for the parking brake then unbuttoned the leather wrap at the neck of the parking brake lever. I didn't need to completely remove the leather console. I just reached in and pulled the connector off from the back of the switch, made the wiring connection, then plugged her back in.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Excellent tip, thanks. I've been meaning to find out where the spider roof wiring splices into the handbrake wiring. I don't know if the handbrake wiring goes forwards or backwards. This may help me figure it out.

9. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    IF it's like a '95 GTB, the parking brake wire comes from the rear/firewall area and is routed forward towards the rear of the parking brake mechanism. I apologize for not snapping a photo of the wire and connection.

Qavion likes this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. I would have thought it would have gone forward (for brake warning light/parking light purposes), then doubled back through the centre console to the roof ECU, etc.

This should make the wire tracking easier. Thanks!

11. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    The parking brake wire might run along the center console towards the firewall then break left behind the driver's seat towards the driver's door and back forward to the rear of the parking brake mechanism? When I reached in to unplug the wire from the switch to make my connection, I could see the wire ran backwards towards the firewall but I don't exactly know where it goes from there because it ducks beneath the carpet about 8" back from the connector.

But i'd be fairly confident the splice for the Spider's wiring could be located in the center console area. When I removed the leather center console's covers to access the reverse gear switch's wiring for that connection, I saw an unused connector midway between the gear lever housing and the firewall. And when I peeked behind the carpeting against the firewall, I noticed another unused connector towards the bottom. I'm fairly sure those are Spider specific connectors. It wouldn't be logical to have diagnostic ports buried in hidden positions.

Qavion likes this.
  12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant

You can also go to the light inthe dash which is a little easier since i had it off to mount gps anyway
    As long as light is on it works

F1ScuderiaTifosi likes this.
  13. F1ScuderiaTifosi

Mar 16, 2015
    Hill Country TEXAS
    Full Name:
    JB
    Just an update: This new audio and back-up camera system worked out really nicely. These Alpine S-S65C Component 2-Way Speakers have really surprised me. They sound richer and deliver much better bass than the OEM speakers. I probably have to contribute some of the better audio quality to the Dynamat which was installed by a previous owner.

My buddy also has a '95 GTB but he still has the OEM audio system. Comparatively, the difference is night and day. Long gone are the days of rumbling bass but these Alpines do a pretty ample job and I'm not even using an external amplifier, just the Clarion NZ503's internal amplifier. I'm glad I chose to run with this setup!