Clarkson on the 348 | FerrariChat

Clarkson on the 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348holland, Aug 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348holland

348holland Formula 3

Dec 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Did you all see his report on television on the 348?

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/22908/727e266d/index.html

The story ends with Tina T. singing: "You're simply the best".

In fact the 348 was the first Ferrari he ever tested, he also published in TG magazine (april 1991) about this experience. He wrote:
    "They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder; well, if you don't like the 348, you're the guy from Peters and Lee and I claim my 10 pounds."

"Question one, then, is should the man who wants to spend 76,000 pounds on a motor car buy a Ferrari tb? To which the answer is yes, yes and yes a thousand times.
    Question two is whether the reality lived up to the legend as far as I was concerned, to which, again, the answer is yes, yes and yes a thousand times."

"But the car is, in fact, a sensation"

Maybe no surprise for all 348-lovers.

The Dutch version of TG magazine of this month however was a surprise. Clarkson admits that his reports on the 348 were a fraud. Criticising the handling, he mentions he thought the chassis and the tires were made of wood. He wanted to report the car was a disappointment to him, but he didn´t want to do that, because of de legend, so he made up a story.

Guess we can never trust his reports again. He finds his opinion less important than a nice story. Remains that he makes you laugh.

2. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
  3. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Here is the article:

Posted by Jeremy Clarkson at 1:00PM on Thursday 14 June, 2007 6 Comments

It really was the most beautiful evening. The sun was a huge orange orb sinking slowly toward the curiously messy Tuscan foreground. The olive trees were haphazard. The vineyards looked like they may have arrived on parachutes. The houses were random.

But there was nothing out of focus about the car I was driving - a Ferrari 348 GTB.

Ooh, it was good. There was a pop and a bang on the overrun. There was a snarl on full throttle. And there was the way it hugged the road as we surged through that evocative, orange landscape. This was my first ever drive in a Ferrari and I was loving it.

Except for one or two tiny details. Actually, there wasn't really a pop and a bang on the overrun. There was no snarl on full throttle. And it didn't really hug the road because, truth be told, it felt like the tyres, and everything that connected them to the seat of my pants were made of wood.

I wanted to say all that to the camera that was bolted to the dash at the time. I wanted to say it was a bit of a disappointment. But that would have been like a young priest, on his first trip to church, saying "He walked on what!? Water? You've got to be joking".

I had been brought up on Jody Scheckter and Gilles Villeneuve. I had sat in a Daytona as a small boy. Ferrari was the holy grail. The ultimate. The automotive God. And if I didn't like the experience in the 348, then plainly, there was something wrong with me.

So I talked about the popping, and the snarl and the way it hugged the road. And I came home, and talked a breathless talk about what it had been like to drive a Ferrari. In the same way that someone might talk if they'd scored with Uma Thurman.

I was lying though. And I kept on lying until, a few year later, I drove a 355. I loved that so much, I came home and bought one.

Permalink: http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/057-first-ferrar...

4. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    I wouldn't take Clarkson's views on cars too seriously.

In the space of one review on Top Gear, he was shown up as not having a clue on car handling.

A few years ago he reviewed a Lotus Elise and complained that it was understeering horribly and he was not impressed. During the same review, a Lotus driver (Gavan Kerhsaw) took him for a passenger ride and demonstrated the same car easily oversteering at will on every bend i.e. he could make it under or over steer at will.

Clarkson acknowledged he did not have the skill to drive that car, and that he, not the Elise, was at fault!!! The 348 is a car that is as basic in its handling as the Elise, so I'm not surprised if he was unable to drive it back then.

In recent shows however, it's been evident that he has taken driving instruction and can handle cars better.

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Love that old Top Gear clip - useless review, but funny (and great hair on JC).

6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    .....he compared it to a 300ZX........... :(

7. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Top Gear is a fun show, if technically useless. They pitted an Evo against a Murci for God's sake... and concluded the Evo the winner. How rediculous can you get?

8. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3bb_1186201960

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
  10. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    The show is pure entertainment. The main players(critics) are a former Disc Jockey, a graduate of music & a journalist. So you can't take them seriously & they don't want you to either. Thats the fun of the show. I personally love the show. The best episode has to be when they made a car into a space shuttle. I was glued to the computer screen the whole time.