Classiche certification | FerrariChat

Classiche certification

Discussion in '308/328' started by scudF1, Jul 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Has anyone got into the Classiche certification process for a 308? I heard that it costs around $4K and it has to go thru a thorough inspection in order to get qualified and approved.

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I did it, here the cost is (328) 2300 Euro + 22 % VAT (2806 Euro VAT included). They check the car (including supensions, wheels, brakes, exhaust) if it's in Factory specs or not. If it is, they will give you the First Certificate Book, that is a book with pictures of your car that says the car is in factory specs (but the car can have a different color inside and outside: they will just write it on the certificate, they only want that was a possible color of the time).
    The entire process requires months (4-6) even if the inspection visit is only one and not very long (one hour more or less)

ciao

3. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Interesting. I wonder if it's the same process here in the U.S.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I dont know that Classiche is yet needed on 308 - 328 's ... $4K is a lot to certify a car left Ferrari .... it's a $$$ making operation for the factory - dont know what it does to values etc... I can see it on a 250 GTO or SWB ... but not sure on a 308

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #5 Rifledriver, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Everything the factory does is a money making operation. How is this any different or how should we expect it to be any different? Does your business operate out of the goodness of your heart or does it perform services for a fee and hopefully do so at a profit?

I would argue the opposite. Anyone buying a GTO or SWB is buying that car based on that cars well known history and reputation of everyone that has touched it. In addition a very well known expert will be flow in to do up to date due diligence.

Is a 308 buyer going to do that?

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ask your dealer. They will give a detailed description of the process.

7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I used to maintain a multi million dollar ferrari collection and I have to say I think the certification is bunk.

Why? We looked into purchasing a Daytona that had just been certified and the list of errors on the car was a mile long. To this day I have no idea how such a rough car got certified?

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Condition isn't what they care about.

If you are saying some cheat? What part of life is immune to that?

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, It's the same process, of course.

ciao

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Is it possible the certification was a fake? An attempt to increase the value of the car.

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Yes, it's a money making operations, but it works. The price of the Classiche certificate is different: Mondial is 1700 Euro + VAT, 288 GTO is 4900 Euro + VAT, Enzo is 5100 Euro + VAT.

ciao

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Maybe they changed the car after the certificate? You have to check the pictures of the certificate with the car you are buying.

ciao

13. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    It depends not on the worth but on the built date of the car. Before 1970 and after 1984 it is much more expensive.

IMHO it is a thing to do for a car worth above 150k but not for a car worth much less.

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    No, it not depends from the built date after 1984. A 355 is 1900 Euro + VAT, an F40 is 4800 Euro + VAT.

(I have the official price list)

I don't know anything about pre 1970 cars.

ciao

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    But even cars within those time periods have different prices. Or at least they did.

The value to any one owner or to a buyer is debatable, without question. To say it has no value is not accurate.

16. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I don't think it was a blatant cheat. I just think it's not as thorough as people are led to believe. In this case, it wasn't just condition. It was incorrect fasteners and items that wouldn't pass concours. Frankly, I was shocked.

No. I checked into it and it definitely was legit.

This is the only explanation that makes sense to me. Although the pictures did match. This process is basically done at the nearest dealer. They submit certain required pics to Ferrari and if they appear correct Ferrari approves the cert. Seems to have a lot of room for error. I'm not even remotely close to being an expert but there were things that I easily found as an amateur.

Funny thing is when we took the car back to the same dealer for a Cavallino "to do" list it was over 100k!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ferrari shoot themselves in the foot with their Historic Racing series that piggybacked the Challenge Series by requiring all the vintage cars to get Classiche Certified at considerable expense? If I recall correctly all the major players told Ferrari to pound sand and didn't play along effectively killing the series.

17. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I can see it being maybe more difficult to research the info on older cars, pre-1970s, hence it would be more expensive.

However, I guess I'm surprised to hear it is also more expensive for cars made after 1984. I would think it would be easier to research the later cars (using computerized records) and so I (mistakenly) would have thought it would be less costly for the newer cars. Any idea why it costs more on newer cars?

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #18 Rifledriver, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    It is not a concours judging nor was it ever intended to be so. Ferrari has always been very specific about that.

If you get a badly cooked hamburger you might want to blame the chef and not the guy who butchered the cow.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In my experience it was less for later cars. Last I looked at a price schedule it was lower and lower as the cars got newer.

My 2008 price list shows cars of the 80s and 90s having the lowest prices.

20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    What is it intended to be then? Not being argumentative, genuinely curious. I always assumed that it was validation that the car was correct and everything was in order "as left the factory"?

Perhaps that's the real issue, it's not entirely clear to everyone exactly what they are getting for their money?

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think it is pretty clear to the people paying the bill. Their documents state it clearly.

If I buy a mule and I needed a horse, whose fault is that?

Maybe before commenting on the program a little understanding of it is in order.

Ask a dealer who provides the service. Anything here is just trash talk.

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They are checking serial number stampings on the various components. I don;t think they can see crazed paint or worn leather.

It's pictures and an application that a dealer is filling out.

So the fee is pure labor time, at the dealer and at the factory, as I see it??

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We have several members here that have had threads on doing a 308, or 328.

We laughed out loud, at the first one.

As values climb I don;t hear so much laughing.

I agree it's pointless, as I know which cars have the OEM motor, and which ones have exploded, for new units.

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    One would have to do that, if say...an ANSA exhaust was on the car, I would think.

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    FERRARI prices for Classiche Certification of authenthicity is reported on "Circolare Tecnica n.14", January 2014.

Ask the Dealer. It's an envestment you can do on a very good 100% factory spec car. Is that a good investment? Who knows.

ciao