Classiche certification | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Classiche certification

Discussion in '308/328' started by scudF1, Jul 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Yes, when I originally heard about this program it was my understanding that it cost less to to go through the Classiche process if the car were from the 80's or newer. That is why I was surprised that "2281GT" said,"... after 1984 it is much more expensive."

2. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    ..............If and when my little car is worth a solid $300k, I may do the Classiche process thing. Will not be happening in my life time. :)

3. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Next year (2016), maybe the following (2017), your Glas will be there ! ;)

4. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Sorry, my fault ! it's vice versa.

The original text is: (quote)

"The resulting amount, which shall be communicated to the Owner before starting
    the certification procedure, may vary, depending on the vehicle model examined, from a
    minimum of 1,200 (one thousand two hundred) Euros plus taxes (if due) for the vehicles
    manufactured after 1st January 1980 (excluding special series vehicles for which the
    certification costs shall be determined from time to time) up to a maximum amount of 5,100
    (five thousand one hundred) Euros plus taxes (if due) for the vehicles manufactured up to
    31st December 1979."

5. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Thank you for clarifying that. Cheers!

6. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I was considering preparing my car for Preservation award at Cavallino and also looked into doing the Classiche on it. However, I think my car had some minor paint work, so the paint probably is not 100% original but mostly. Would that automatically disqualify my car for Certification?

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not at all. Think about that for a minute. How many cars of the 50's, 60's or 70's have original paint?

Like I said, ask a dealer who does them and get some promotional materials. It is not a service for everyone but most of the people I hear criticizing it know nothing about it.

8. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Thank you Brian, that is a huge relief to me. :) I will probably move forward and discuss with Ferrari of Atlanta when my car goes in next month.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just so you know the certification does not in any way advance you in either the concours or the preservation award. Good luck with that. I judge at Cavallino and it is not an easy award to get.

10. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hi Brian, I am interested in Classiche only for my giggles. However, I am serious about Preservation award. Does the same hold true about my paint and the Preservation Award?

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #36 Rifledriver, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    A complete repaint is pretty much going to take you out of it. A repair is OK. We got the National Preservation Award with the TR 2 or 3 years ago. The front bumper is a repaint and I volunteered that information.

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Here is what I know about the "Red Book" certification:

For a North American 308 you need to have the original fat bumpers, all the smog equipment must be on the car, original wheels, original engine air boxes and electronics - no electronic ignition. Original exhaust, original suspension, original radiator. Car color doesn't seem to matter, interior color doesn't seem to matter but must be an original style interior. Radio does not matter since the car did not come with one, they were installed by dealers. That's about it.

13. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Well, I guess that knocks me out of it for a while since I dont have the original exhaust and such.

PDG

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

14. Mktwise

Mktwise Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So what is the return on investment by doing this? Does my car jump more in value with this piece of paper in hand? Or is it, ah great, they are telling me everything I already know, everything is original except for my silicone hoses... My car is a 1 family owned car, I purchased it from my dad in '98, who purchased it from the dealership. Sounds like a waste of money.

15. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Reading all the replies and posts on this thread I came to the following conclusion. Is it worth going thru the process? It depends. If money it's not an object, why not, go for it. Defiantly it's not going to hurt the car's presentation and value. Maybe it's a BS and another reason for Feerrari to milk more money from owners. However, I believe it's a good thing to have regardless.

16. Green308GTSi

Green308GTSi Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    #41 Green308GTSi, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree with you George, the Classiche program certifies that all of the major components match the original build sheets. The program also certified my color (verde medio), paint, interior and wheels too.

I had my 308 certified back in 2006. I wanted to get it done early because I knew the price would go up. In 2006 the cost was $1,500 for cars younger than 25 years old. My 308 would turn 25 in about six months at the time and the cost for cars older than 25 years old was $2,500.

I also wanted to take advantage of Ferrari S.p.A. and Ferrari of North America before they knew what they were doing. My 308 was one of the first 10 cars to enter the program in the United States. I was Algar Ferrari of Philadelphia first Ferrari to complete the program. My 308 was in transit from Classic Coach in Elisabeth, NJ to Ferrari of Orlando during the certification and both dealerships also help my 308 complete the program at no extra cost to me. I was also the first car that those dealerships put through the program too.

I believe the Classiche Certification is just another tool in the Ferrari tool box. When the program was first advertised, S.p.A. stated that there were now two ways to tell if your Ferrari was original, concors judging and the new Classiche program. My 308 had received the FCA Classic Preservation Award back in 2003, so I wanted to see if Ferrari's ad was correct and they were correct, my 308 completed the program without any repairs or modifications needed.

Having a green 308, I am constantly challenged whether verde medio is a factory color, even with the original window sticker, Glasurit paint sticker (Fer 600 C) and paint sample booklet. Now, the certification book quiets that noise. Lately, judges complain about the Classic Badge on my 308, but I have a letter from the factory authorizing that too!

While I have shown my 308 for 20 years, I believe the Classiche Certification has helped it move up the food chain. I won a Preservation Awards at this year's Cavallino Classic and at last year's FCA Annual Meet and I believe the Classiche Certification put my 308 over the top when I was accepted into Quail Motorsport Gathering and "Carmel by the Sea on the Avenue," in Monterey this summer.

I also get invited to all factory driving events like the driving school at Montreal before the F1 race and the Ferrari Cavalcade around San Francisco before Monterey Week because of the certification. It may also help was it comes time to sell your 308. To sum it, having my 308 certified has given me more options for enjoying my car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I don't see it causing your car's value to jump more than it would without it. The value of the car as most people are already aware is mainly based on condition and mileage. The next buyer may not care that you had the car certified and they could pay to get it certified on their own. Maybe if the car has odd options or colors it may help convince others it was originally configured that way.

18. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #43 2281GT, Jul 17, 2015
  19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #44 robertgarven, Jul 18, 2015
    Friends,

I wrote Piero and they sent me a build sheet from the factory. I did send 20 photos of my gearbox# etc just like I did for the heritage certificate. I have a post on it. My car is mostly correct except the exhaust. I read where you can get a scaled down version of the Classiche, but not sure this is true. They used to do this for free, ala the heritage certificate. All I really wanted was this simple sheet! :) I do appreciate the fancier one but the original sheet they used to say did not exist really does in their vaults as you can see by this GT4 one attached! They mentioned they made an exception for me..... :)

Rob

20. AcmeAero

AcmeAero Rookie

Nov 3, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Eric Robinson
    I need help. I recently purchased a 1980 308 that is factory gold. I know that this car is 1 of 4 that the factory did in gold but it could possibly be the only gold car Ferrari made with tobacco interior. I need documentation whether this is true or not. I know the documentation exists because it came with a Dino I bought.

Does anyone have any idea how to go about getting production numbers so I can verify whether this car is in fact the only one?

21. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari of Atlanta recently quoted me $5400 to Classiche my 85 Euro QV. Very pleasant conversation and not pushy. In the end, I decided to pass. I couldn't justify the cost for information I seem to already know. The red book would be nice but that kind of money is roughly a major service.

I paid less than $75 to Pontiac Historical Services to thoroughly document my 67 GTO.

DMWC likes this.
  22. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I remembered this post when I was looking at a car for sale advertized now as just having done Classiche. I noticed electronic ignition, some kind of shield screwed into the cam belt cover, a Euro air box on a US car, and plug wires from wherever. Would my car pass Clissiche like this?

23. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If it did, just imagine what kind of message that would send us about the program.

24. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Great story, thanks for sharing. My Mondials will never reach this level, but great your car did!

25. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A Ferrari dealer will get you a letter confirming the colors. I'm pretty sure there is more than one 308 in Oro with Testa Di Moro interior. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files: