Classiche Certified Replacement Block | FerrariChat

Classiche Certified Replacement Block

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTBSaran, Aug 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I have a question: If a car has a correct classiche certified replacement block how much of a discount can I expect versus a car with original matching numbers engine? Would you advise buying a car with the correct period engine even if it is not original? Does the discount depend on the model or is there a rule of thumb.

Thank you for your help!

2. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I would be very interested in the responses to this question, thoughts anyone?

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Personally, I wouldn't expect much of a discount. If the block is certified, that ought to be satisfactory for a knowledgeable buyer. Everyone talks about original, matching numbers cars, and that's fine, but the internals sometimes get changed out. Further, many of these cars have had engine issues requiring repair or replacement along the way, anyway. Do you possess the original block? Was it tired out? Damaged? Replaced somewhere along the way? Regardless, these cars were just old cars at some point, and they were worked on.

I'm not going to go into our own Classiche application of an older race car, which has been abandoned at this point, due to Classiche's absurd demands and hypocritical approvals, but Classiche's "blessing" may not be worth as much as it's perceived by some to be, in my opinion.

For those in the know, just do your homework. Besides, now that the Historic Challenge is defunct in the US, there's little reason to pursue Classiche on these shores. I realize you're in EUR, so that may have some bearing, as there is still some sort of effort alive there.

CW

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    20%

5. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    I would not buy a car with a replacement--unless it was a SUPER RARE car where you could not get another. But, for a normal car today 330, Daytona, Lusso, etc---why would
    you invest a lot of money in something that has an excuse.

Whenever you go to sell it, it will always be a very nice car BUT......

I have seen cars with problems sell for 10-20% less than a good car. My advice, spend the money for a good car & you will get that back & more when you go to sell. Do not be in a rush to buy something---you may regret it later.

Tell us what type of car you are considering.

Ken Goldman

6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Huge. If the block was replaced in the day it's one thing. I'd have no interest in buying a car with a classiche stamped new block, None.

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I cannot provide guidance on the valuation discount but will add to the general consideration of Classiche or engine swap. I find Classiche preferable to preventing a engine from returning to its original chassis. I also find Classiche highly preferable to restamping a series correct block so it becomes "matching numbers".

Jeff

8. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    You have got a good point. I always believe in paying up but I think it is becoming difficult simply because these cars rarely come to the market. And when one does which is not perfect, I want to better understand the implications. The models in question: 250 TDF & 250 SWB. I am in no rush at all I am merely trying to understand the fine points of classiche correct replacement block versus original engine. This is critical to understand as we deal with larger and larger sums involved in classic Ferrari.

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ferrari has no problem with classiche blocks:)
    and i suspect the future customers will follow.
    imho
    ed

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    10% of retail $$.....or, "It depends".....

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    or......100%

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Napolis, is this your objection? Ferrari used to have their own foundry, but apparently not for the repops now.

Pulled from another thread, but very relevant
    While I hope I have not, apologies to Brian if I've stepped on toes.

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #13 miurasv, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    Are Ferrari 250 engine blocks prone to cracking? If so, I would see it as a positive as it's a Ferrari approved correct part and even better if stamped with the same number. What numbers go on the Classiche approved block? These cars are 50+ years old, parts wear out and engine blocks over time can crack. I don't know if Ferrari blocks are particularly prone to this but Aston Martin David Brown era 6 cylinder blocks are and many have to be welded and I'd prefer a new manufacturer approved one to a welded one. If it is a negative it's a much lesser one in my book than a replacement body on a car being made by a company other than the original manufacturer. I'd still use it to negotiate the price down as I know that most don't think like I do.

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Cars with brand new replica engines stamped classiche don't interest me. No more. No less.

15. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    If the cars you are considering are a TdF and a 250 SWB---I see no reason to spend millions on each car unless they are 100% original.

These cars do come up in fine shape (There was a nice TdF at RM Auctions earlier this month---and there was another at RM in London last year---owned years ago by the man who I bought my 250 PF Coupe from) so why go for something less than 100%. To save 10% or 20% when spending this much money makes
    no sense at all.

Ken Goldman

16. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I'll send you the hat that they left on the seat of our car at a show two years ago . . . . ;)

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

18. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Matching original numbers for everything is the gold standard. Of the gold standard is the original engine block.It is to be expected that it may have had a rebuild or two.Doccuments of any rebuild are very important and should be issued by a well known and respected shop. If a Classiche built replica engine is required or just desired for what ever reason, it is important NOT to discard in any way the original block and all external and internal parts regardless of their condition. Having the original engine kept with the car and in good running condition should in no way effect the market value of the car.If anything it could add to the market value just for being available to be reinstalled. Even if the original engine is not in good condition it's important to have it available to a prospective buyer.I would say this same philosophy could apply to the entire running gear as well as just about all original parts still with the car. A new owner could descide to turn the car from a road car to a trailer queen and Concourse judged vehicle for which original parts are very important and the car need only to be driven as required by the judging. A very wise descision for any car to be entered in speed or distance events would be to sub the original engine and probably other vunerable parts with reproduction parts. Many of the 250 GTO owners and owners of other competition cars do just this. If someone is spending a million or more on on of these jems it makes sense to put one hundred K plus into protecting it original vital organs. tongascrew

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Most draw the line:

Chassis, engine, body, gearbox.

Internals are wear items.

20. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    #20 James_Woods, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    That is quite true - but I have never understood it. (the Corvette people may be even more fanatical than the Ferrari market)

If it is perfectly OK to completely gut the insides out of an engine or a gearbox and replace them with new old stock or even new manufactured original spec parts - crankshaft, even - why would it be such a holy grail to keep the original main castings?

The block and transmission case are really just the outer shell of a much more complicated internal mechanism. And, in many engines the block itself is a wear item which can only be rebored so many times.

21. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    It's all about the cast or stamped numbers.

22. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Yes, I know...and I even understand this to a certain point.

But I cannot get past the logic that really no one major part of a car should necessarily be that much more important than another. A block is more important than a crankshaft just because it has a number stamped on it?

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think it is more often the opposite, where a complete car is lacking the original engine, lost to time or damage.

In that case the new engine is built to replace "nothingness" under the hood of an otherwise complete car.

If you had a damaged but intact block, there are firms that could cast a replacement without going to Ferrari at all.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Are the blocks or major parts only available on an exchange basis from Classiche and the originals retained by Ferrari? It would be understandable if so as another engine could be built around the original block.

25. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Theoretical question...

Let's say someone has a high-value historic. The motor lets go during a vintage/historic race. The damage is bad enough that the block has to be scrapped.

So, the owner is faced with two options: procure a NOS block without the correct stamping and build that up OR hire Classiche to build a new replacement motor and stamp the correct s/n with a reference to the replacement.

Which is more desirable? Which preserves the value better?

CW