Classiche Certified Replacement Block | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Classiche Certified Replacement Block

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTBSaran, Aug 28, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Agreed that the best cars are those without stories! Also agree that you cannot create originality, it is either original or its not. But you can 'police' originality. And as much as I like dealers/ owners /enthusiasts - lets be honest here they also want to make a living. I do not trust dealers /owners / enthusiasts anymore than I would trust Ferrari Cassiche. My point is that we need Classiche as much as weed need expert independent advice. I think without Classiche it would be more chaotic and confusing. That is not to say that Classiche is doing everything right. By no means. I am completely against them allowing correct period replacement blocks for example. But at the end of the day they add value and I am grateful they are there......

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    IMO Classiche is a good thing and absolutely necessary for the correct and authentic preservation of classic Ferrari cars for the future. Cars are not like paintings and need to be maintained and refurbished using Ferrari made or Ferrari approved parts.

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    While I tend to agree with you that most engine failures are reparable, it's not always the case. We have experienced one such failure. Other failures have been repaired. The original block still exists in storage and, perhaps, in time, the technology will improve to the point which it can be repaired. However, for the time being, it's a paperweight.

CW

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    You have this and that, and that's wonderful, but the fact remains that MOST old race cars don't come with an extensive spares package. So, do you feel that your case is the exception to the rule?

CW

5. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #105 275GTB, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    you can still get a full Classiche certificate, even if the engine number does not match the chassis number - as long as it is the correct engine type - ie in a 275GTB a type 213 engine. No need to go to the expense of replacing an engine with a Classiche block just for the certificate.

My understanding a Classiche certificate goes further into the authenticity of the car - they do several metal dating tests all over the chassis, no idea how this process works, but if you look at a car that has just been Classiche Certified the chassis has loads of small areas where the black paint has been sanded off.

Also new money investors love a Classic Certificate - sadly that's a fact, so for the £4k approx cost, you get that back plus extra on the sale of a car - sad i know, but its a fact.

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Correctomundo, Senor!

CW

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Hire someone knowledgeable and pay them for an independent evaluation. Even Classiche has their own conflicts and well-known errors. In the end, this is always a Caveat Emptor situation. One does their homework and hires their "experts", but there is always the chance that things aren't as advertised.

CW

8. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    If Ferrari Classiche was simply a service at a reasonable price that certified the originality of the car I would applaud them for their efforts. However when they offer to supply a new block at an extortionate price that is not even made by them, I find this hypocritical and a scam......... Time will tell if there is a future to Classiche but I think even new buyers will soon realise that the Classiche certification is meaningless.

9. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    paintings get refurbished and restored as well, some i have seen are almost repainted or extensively re-touched!
    As far as i am aware this adds value to most important historic works of art. It seems much more accepted in the art world, copared to the historic Ferrari world.

Different game i guess, different strokes.

10. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy

General Parts 2011

The internal number continue in sequence where the original type 213 blocks numero interno ended

Note 275 GTB/4's, engine type 226, have type 213 blocks. Reference parts manual

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Previous posts have cast some doubts on the "purity" of Classiche certification. If it isn't credible what use is it?

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #112 Napolis, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Let's cut to the chase.

Who do you think is more qualified to restore 002.

Me or Classiche?

Keep in mind that the people I got to do it have names such as Brandoli, Fantuzzi, Scaglietti,Borsani, SILINGARDI & DIENA in serveral case two generations of them.

How about 0854?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I have no doubt that you have the contacts to do it. And, given what I KNOW of the Classiche Programme, I'd expect that you would do a better job in-house and there would be no question marks. But, you're also not casting your own motor blocks yet, are you?

And, once again, most people don't have access to the same folks or parts supply that you do.

CW

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We are casting our own transmission cases and stamping them as modern parts. (We have so many P transmission parts that in addition to three complete original P gearboxes with verifiable history we have enough internals to make two more so we cast new casings for those parts so my Great, Great Grand kids can use them if necessary.

We can cast entire blocks, heads and make wheels as needed.

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    There isn't really a simple answer to that question. My immediate answer, without giving it much thought, would be if you use the people that built the car originally and have the documentary evidence to prove it then it can't get better than that but in their absence Classiche is the next best thing. However, do you or the people you use still have the original drawings and licence to manufacture those parts? That Ferrari instructed those people to make or design whatever they did is a huge factor as that's what made it a Ferrari. Without Ferrari, 002 or any other Ferrari would not have existed.

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    And, it's exactly for these reasons that I simply won't buy another race car without a comprehensive spares package. It's taken a decade or more for us to put spares packages together, but until that point, if something went wrong, the car was in bits for months with things being patterned, reproduced, in transit, fitted and installed.

For anyone considering buying OLD iron, this is just something that cannot be ignored, and it's getting more and more difficult to locate replacement parts. Folks like Shaughnessy are doing important work, but if they can't locate and procure the widget you need...

CW

17. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Thats exactly it.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If Enzo hadn't sold 002 Ferrari might not exist today but that's a separate discussion.

When Enzo was short on money he gave the father's of some of those guys the original spare parts that I now own along with the original engineering drawings as payment for their services.

19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Ferraris need continuous maintenance and replacement of parts. If someone uses a company other than Ferrari or their approved manufacturers of those parts for the spare parts required for its upkeep than that erodes its being as a Ferrari.

20. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    If a restorer had 2 engine blocks- one period, one newly cast- and proceeded to build 2 new identical engines using new crank, pistons, liners, studs, etc, and placed them in two reasonably identical cars, would an expert be able to tell old vs. new just by driving the car? How about new vs old heads?

I understand the sentiment attached to originality, and why that's significant. I'm just curious if there's a qualitative difference more than anything else.

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Nope. Legally that is not true especially in the case where Ferrari gave other's the right and ability by giving them original drawing years ago as payment for services as Enzo did.

In the US you have the absolute legal right to manufacture auto parts to repair and restore a car you own.

Ferrari Classiche does not make parts. They buy them from the guys I use. In some cases they try to restrain some from dealing with individuals directly and there is a anti trust action filed by Chinetti on this issue but for 40 years I've had no problem obtaining anything I need directly in Modena and Ferrari is totally aware of what I do and have done and the last time I talked to Classiche flatly stated:

"If you're happy we're happy"

This statement directly followed:

"Jim's a ****ing Sicilian"

and them then buying lunch for me.

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    NOS is different than newly cast. When newly casting one corrects mistakes that we're originally made and uses better metal that is less porous and stronger. The new castings are stronger and less prone to failure.

A driver could tell in that a newly produced engine will rev easier and make more hp as internals are lighter and gaskets are better.

With gearboxes the same is true. They're stronger and shift easier.

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's a fact, and very interesting...

I know I wandered the NHRA Finals last year, and I was really envious of all the aftermanrket industry supportig the efforts of the competitors, thinking to myself:

"Gosh, if only MSD would pattern a 308GTB ignition, and I could get DART to crank out a dozen 308GTB engine blocks, to put on the shelf."

Any of us, plannng to run these cars long term, are ALREADY up against severe parts shorrtages, for any major repair.

Drive on.....

I love those old blueprints...they bear the sweat equity, and mental effort, of a different time..now we CAD/BIM and 3D model and it spits out the end of a triple axis milling machine.
    Fun certainly, but lacking a certain "something"....hard to express....

24. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm pretty familiar with etching techniques as I've studied metallurgy as a part of my M. Sc. and maintain my view that most stories of lifted numbers are pure folklore - at least the ones I've heard - but knowing a little of what you have been involved with, I believe you have seen it performed with success. I also think that success rate is very high because those performing the magic know very well what can be done and when to stand back.

Best wishes, Kare

25. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    Although I am a neophyte to Ferrari, I have some idea
    of the questions, since I collect, restore and sell
    International MotoGP bikes, which are quite collectible,
    and were for racing only.

If real estate is location, location and location, our Ferrari concern
    is documentation, documentation and documentation.

I have a client that has just committed to my very best
    restoration of a 1976 model, and is considering lap days,
    parades and the occasional sprint race.

We discussed the idea of a "duplicate" engine, made with
    all NOS parts for his track work, to save the "original" motor.

He has decided to have me create a complete but modern duplicate of the bike,
    including frame, suspension, brakes, bodywork, engine and exhaust. That way,
    if he throws the bike down the road, no "vintage" parts will be at risk.
    From 20 feet, it will look 35 years old.

The original will be, well....all original. It will be dyno tested with
    all NOS internal period parts, and guaranteed to match the
    factory specs for power delivery.

The duplicate will be much faster, handle better, stop better,
    and cost less. It will be made with all-new metal........

Guess it depends on whether you want to look at it,
    collect it, invest in it or drive it.

Scott