Cleanest way to get a 12v source in the engine bay? | FerrariChat

Cleanest way to get a 12v source in the engine bay?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by raysur, Jan 24, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I am installing a remote controlled valved exhaust on my '90. I need a key on 12 volts for the remote antenna box. What is the cleanest way of doing this?

I will unplug the thermocouplers for this system.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are you saying that you are going to an exhaust system that has no precats and no cats so you will be removing the thermocouples and the over-temp warning light ECUs in the engine bay? If so, the VB (green-white) wire going to the over-temp warning light ECUs would be a key "on" +12V source that you could use to supply a small current to something else.

If you have any catalytic structures in the exhaust system (like the precats) = you should keep the thermocouples and over-temp warning light ECUs, and have the thermocouples mounted in the exhaust stream as close as possible to the downstream exit side of the catalytic structure closest to the engine.

raysur likes this.
  3. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks Steve! I will order a spare connector and connect into there.

The system (Kreissiegg) has cats but they are just there in spirit. The cells inside are gigantic.