cleaning 458 engine compartment | FerrariChat

cleaning 458 engine compartment

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rrosen, Jun 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rrosen

rrosen Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    Noticed that a lot of dust and dirt accumulates in engine compartment of my 458 coupe (it's my daily driver). Anyone have tips on best way to clean this area without having to send it for detailing?

2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Gentle water and a reach in with rags. There are other methods but I would avoid a power wash at all costs.

3. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    A lot of reaching! Not trying to be a smart a$$. There are more nooks and crannies than a Thomas' English Muffin in there!

4. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    If you have a good air compressor with a 24 to 36 inch wand it can make most of the dust and larger particals blow off and you can get at everything without leaning your body in to the car.

Then a microfiber cloth sprayed lightly with Prolong Waterless Wash & Shine will allow you to reach inside and get the side and rear panels as well as the plenums and airbox. Or your favorite waterless wash in shine or even Pig Spit will work well.

But make sure the engine has completely cooled down and it is best to wear shorts or pants with very soft cloth with no buttons or buckles so you don't scratch the paint.

You can get a large microfiber cloth or cloths from Detailers Image, Luscious is best, and use them to buffer between you and the side of the car as you reach in.

Good luck, I just finished cleaning mine and no scratches at all:)

5. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    replace with 458 spyder

6. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    LOL

7. Ricks458

Ricks458 Rookie

Jan 21, 2012
    A swiffer works great

8. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Take a look at detailedimage.com website. They have several articles on this subject. Make sure you look at "Ask a Pro Blog" and do a search for engine bay. A great site for numerous articles on just about anything relating to car care, cleaning and detailing.

9. m3mike

m3mike Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lay a microfiber towel across the rear quarter panel to protect the paint. You will have to do a lot of leaning, reaching and swearing and you don't want to scratch your paint.

10. rrosen

rrosen Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    Thanks for all the advice. As far as replacing it with the spider, I still haven't gotten tired of looking at the engine whenever I walk up to the car. And I think I'm more comfortable showing off the engine than myself...

11. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Perfect quote!

12. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Quote of the day!:):)

13. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Wonderful.... though Spider owners will say that they love the open air and the exhaust sound, etc.