Cleaning aluminium castings | FerrariChat

Cleaning aluminium castings

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Sigmacars, Dec 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    what is the best cleaner for cleaning the aluminum engine castings top and bottom without affecting the aluminum.

2. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm not an expert with Ferrari by any means, but Flitz makes a spray product called Aluminum Pre-Clean that might make a good pre-soak before using a brush and a mild engine cleaner like Griot's Garage makes to work off the crud.

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've done this with the engine out of the car so worrying about affecting other things wasn't an issue. I used aluminum jelly on my engine block a sump pan with a non metallic brushes and water and had very good results but that IS affecting the metal, in a good way.

4. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #4 lm2504me, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    The restorer of my webers used WD40, plastic bristle brush to scrub, wipe with paper towels, and repeated the process until fully cleaned. Looks great. I will use electronic cleaner spray to degrease and remove heavy oily stains. The spray works great for cleaning surfaces prior to using RTV or Hylomar for a good sealing surface.

of2worlds likes this.