Coatings- Opto Coat Pro Plus/ Gyeon/ Kamikaze | FerrariChat

Coatings- Opto Coat Pro Plus/ Gyeon/ Kamikaze

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ifeelfree0, Nov 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Are there any discernible differences in these 3 coatings or does it comes to personal preferences. I see there are slight differences in pricing and expected life however how much of this is good marketing ?

2. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    A lot of it comes down to the actual detailer doing the process if you are not doing it yourself. I would have a look at Cquartz coatings as well, they are quite amazing. I have been with them for many years now and they are very strict on who is picked to be in their program unlike many of the coating companies out there. Depending where you are located, you can find someone with Cquartz to detail your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Dan - I have used Gyeon and Kamikaze. Both have worked very well, but my preference has been with Kamikaze due to how simple it is to use. I have also used the Cquartz Dlux and it performed great. In the end, I think they all perform at a similar level if applied properly. If you are having someone do it for you, talk with them and look at their work. If you are doing it yourself, then I would use Kamikaze Miyabi coat simply because of how easy it is to use. This is just my opinion. Good luck

Esoteric Auto Detail likes this.
  4. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have Gyeon and am very pleased. It was recommended and done by my detailer.

5. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    +1 Kamikaze. Coated our 360 28 months ago after a two stage paint correction. Did myself after a lot of research and acquisition of the right tools. Car came out stunning and still looks great. I think a key to longevity is use of Kamikaze's "Overcoat", which is their sacrificial topcoat. (Which will work with any coating) Every month or so and it works wonders. Takes maybe 15 minutes to apply. Whole lot easier than wax.

Esoteric Auto Detail likes this.
  6. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks all. Not sure if I will tackle it myself but good input. Sounds like I cant go wrong with any product but just pick the right detailer and do some simple maintenance.

7. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Another great maintenance sealer for coatings is CarPro Reload.

8. Esoteric Auto Detail

Esoteric Auto Detail Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Dan, I see you are in Medina. We aren't too far here in New Albany just outside of Columbus. Please reach out if we can be of assistance. We brought GYEON and Kamikaze to the US market (and are the sole US distributor for Kamikaze.)

The coatings definitely come down to purpose and personal preference. We lean towards GYEON Mohs for daily drivers and vehicles where durability is a factor. Kamikaze is otherwise our go-to for pretty much everything. (still durable) The ease of use and results are what sets it apart from other coatings.

9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    My personal favorites are Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra and Cquartz Finest Reserve.

I generally stay away from Opticoat since they are not picky at all with choosing which installers they give it too. Runs a higher risk of having a bad installer.

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Thanks for this post. Do you recommend a specific coating for a 328 with single stage paint. The car is primarily a show car and kept in a climate controlled environment.

11. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  12. Esoteric Auto Detail

Esoteric Auto Detail Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH