Code reader for 1999 355 | FerrariChat

Code reader for 1999 355

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Embree, Sep 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Embree

Embree Rookie

Sep 19, 2022
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    George C Massey
    Hello Everyone. I was hoping to get some help in figuring out what code reader to buy for diagnosing my 355. I think that I would prefer to have a stand alone reader. Thanks in advance.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Some folks recommend BlueDriver. Note that you’re only going to get engine-related codes using aftermarket budget code readers, otherwise you’re looking at 100 times the price for diagnostics on other F355 systems (airbag, HVAC, roof, suspension, etc).

The P0nnn codes are generic and your scanner should get the correct interpretation. For P1nnn and higher codes you’ll need the official Ferrari list. No one has the list for the F355, but the 360 list is mostly correct and readily available.

Do you have a non-USA car? If so, you’ll need to purchase a Fiat 3-pin OBD adaptor and cigarette lighter power adaptor and some wire stripping/crimping/soldering tools. You should find more information on the 348/355 sub-forum with a search there. Some Fiat adaptors won’t work.

Good luck (and please fill out your profile details with your location/car details (i.e. F533 5.2) ;)

3. Embree

Embree Rookie

Sep 19, 2022
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    George C Massey
    Thanks so much!

Qavion likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Should have OBDII and Motronic 5.2 if she is an A spec (A in VIN) F355. Required after I January 1996 on A spec cars. At least later, the only difference between US and Canadian Ferraris was metric gauges up north.

5. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Note especially Reply #2 - Ferrari does not use most of the generic OBD fault codes.