Cold start stumbling, corrects in about 20 seconds | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cold start stumbling, corrects in about 20 seconds

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Sep 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Happy to see all runs good!:cool:

I run on iridium. I believe the dr8eix on top of my head. In fact I swap the conventional plug on a all my cars that I buy to Iridium (If possible). They make a better combustion, thus you will run more economical and the lifetime is 2x longer. They cost also twice as much. I also notice some more responsive nice with some cars, but not with the Mondial. I do notice a better combustion.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan likes this.
  2. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    No problems with fine wire iridiums here. Have used them on a few cars. What I see as fairly common is novices damaging the fine wire tip upon re-gapping. They blame ramp type gappers, when in fact it is the improper use of ramp or coin type gappers that can damage the center electrode. If you use a ramp style gapper, do not pry against the ramp to open the gap. Use the included feature for that, which will be a small hole in the tool the ground straps inserts into to leverage it away from the plug to open the gap. You probably know this already, but it is worth mentioning in the interest of saving a more costly spark plug from damage. Used properly the gapper tool need not apply any load to the fine wire tip, nor ever touch it during the actual setting of the gap, and only a light touch is required while checking the gap along the ramp.

(I should have spoke up at the beginning. I was going to suggest plug gap as a possible cause.)

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Thank you for the plug gap info, for now I think I will regap the conventional NGK's to .025 (down from the NGK factory .028), to allow a bit of gap erosion to not get beyond OEM spec. Good to know the iridiums work with these cars, no reason why they should not but not all new tech is backward compatible.