Comin to Chi Town | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Comin to Chi Town

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by ernie, Dec 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    If I'm in that area I may pop in to check it out.

2. jomoyer

jomoyer Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Josh M.
    Good choice! While I (I hope I don't get stoned here) hate Chicago deep dish pizza, Pizano's is the Chicago style I love. Nice flakey crust, almost like a pie crust. It's delectable. Enjoy sir!

3. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Having stuffed pizza at Giordano's right now. Mmmm mmm good.

4. Ivan Rajic

Ivan Rajic Karting

Jul 18, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Ivan Rajic
    Good call.

5. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Did Millenium Park today, and some of Michigan Ave. The park was cool, I really liked the polished stainless steel bean shaped scupture. That thing is a trip from underneath. All the little kids were having a blast inside it. The Chicago Opera Theater in the park reminds me of the Disney Music Hall in Los Angeles. Hung out and watched people ice skate by the Park Grill. Love the Christmas music playing every where. Really puts you the the Christmas Spirit. I walked up as far as the Water Tower, then headed back to the room to meet my wife for dinner. I walking around today for a about five hours. Anyway, had dinner with my wife at the Elephant & Castle.

Good times, and I'm really diggin Down Town Chicago. Much nicer than Down Town Los Angeles.

6. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Enjoy the bit of snow!

7. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Man they put salt all over the place. There is still a little bit of snow in the shaded areas but the rest of it is gone. I was hoping to see it fall. Oh well.

8. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Good looking out Drew. Just finished eating breakfast at the Yolk on Grand Ave. Had the pancakes, eggs and meat combo. Good stuff. The sausages are a pretty good size compared to the little links we get in Cali.

9. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Glad you enjoyed it! Good call getting Giordano's too, I've had 4 or 5 other deep dish places but Giordano's is still my favorite

10. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    For high end Italian, try PELAGO in the Raffello hotel.. Michelin 4 star rated chef. Love Prosecco on Wells, great romantic restauraunt. the scallops never dissapoint and the squash soup is awesome. Perrenial on lincoln park is a fun eat. Tempo on state at chestnut for omlettes as big as your head. The grande luxe cafe for a shopping lunch on michigan ave. if you can score a table at Piccolo Sogno (2 month wait) its worth it as well.
    I second Frontera grille if you can get in.
    Nd

11. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Went to the Chicago Mercantile Exchange after breakfast, but was surprised to find that the exchange floor is no longer there. They moved trading to the Chicago Board of Trade building. Then we went Sears Tower, I know they changed the name but I'm old school it's the Sears Tower ;), went up to the 103rd floor Sky Deck, and evn went out on the glass ledge. OH MY GOSH! The first step I took out on that, I litterally felt my body wince, as I looked down. It was the craziest feeling seeing nothing but the street hundreds and hundreds of feet belooooooooooow. BANANAS!

We just got back from eating at Roka Akor Sushi & Steak, on Clark street. Nice place, and it seemed pretty popular as it was packed. I'm not much into sushi but my wife likes it. They have a nice tempura menu so I was able to have my meal cooked.

I like Down Town Chicago, this place gets a thumbs up from me.

12. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Interesting side note. My friend and owner of 'Affordable Automotive Repair' worked with the engineers in developing the ledge.

13. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Coolness.

I asked how much weight it could hold and they said 10,000 pounds.

It really was a nutty feeling standing on it. You look down and think "uh hey numbnuts you're standing on glass, and glass likes to break into itty bitty pieces" even though you were just told it can hold 5 tons. Craaaazy feeling.

14. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    This is late notice, but the Chicago Pizzeria and Ovengrinder is cool. It's where the St. Valentines Day Massacre occured. Go there for lunch. It's just North of downtown.

MDS

15. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Did some shopping with my wife today on Michigan Ave, and we're having lunch right now in the Signature Room at the 95th in the Hancock building. Great views of the lake.

16. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Awesome. I heard that place was cool. Enjoy your day, and hope your brought warm jackets for the bitter cold!

17. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    #42 ernie, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
    Oh yeah, you know it. I brought my heavy duty cold stuff. I'm glad I had it because it was FREEZING cold last night. We went out to get a drink late last night, at the Emerald Loop, that place sucked by the way, horrible service and the staff was not friendly. Any way on the way back to the hotel the temperature dropped a few degrees. But so of a billygoat if that wind drops the temp even more. Checked what temp was when we got to the room, 16 degrees without the wind chill.

18. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Glad to hear you are having a good time in Chicago. It can be a fantastic place.

19. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Did the German Christmas Village near the theater district. That was pretty neat. I'm really in the Spirit of Christmas now, with all the cold weather, and how the village was decorated, with Christmas music playing. Loved it, because in seems like in Cali they are trying their hardest to get rid of Christmas. Makes me feel good to know parts of this great country still celebrate Christmas. Takes me back to the old school.

I wanna thank all of you guys for giving me tips on where to eat and what to see. I enjoyed visiting Chicago, and now I know why you guys love your city so much. Had me some good times in Chi Town.

20. pr3par32die

pr3par32die Formula 3

Sep 11, 2010
    Skokie
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Glad you enjoyed the stay! Stop by again sometime when it's warm.