Comment on Sales Process of SA APERTA | FerrariChat

Comment on Sales Process of SA APERTA

Discussion in '612/599' started by mikebrinda, Sep 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikebrinda

mikebrinda Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
    This post is not about the SA APERTA itself. It is a comment about the marketing process for the SA APERTA, which is why I created a new thread solely for this purpose.

The headline and subtext of an email Ferrari sent to me today was as follows:

"SA APERTA: an exclusive Ferrari V12 to celebrate Pininfarina's 80th anniversary

Ferrari is delighted to announce the presentation of the SA APERTA at the Paris International Motor Show 2010. This is a special series model of which a strictly limited number of just 80 will be built. All have already been sold. Ferrari chose to build 80 SA Apertas in celebration of Pininfarina's 80th anniversary. The SA nomenclature also pays homage to both Sergio and Andrea Pininfarina whose company and work have been linked to the most successful road-going cars ever built at Maranello."

I have to tell you, the email just pissed me off so much I could care less about the car and it's heritage or technical wonders. It just annoys the s**t out of me the car was sold out before I knew it finally even existed beyond rumors, much less ever saw a photo of one.

I don't live in a dream world and I know an 80 unit production run is going to sell out fast. But does that justify directly emailing me with news and about the car--- after the fact? After they are all pre-sold? Pre-sold to who? What about me? Could I at least pick up the phone, call the dealer, and live for a minute under the illusion I have a shot at buying the car? Is Ferrari that proud to have sold 80 units worldwide, before I ever saw the car? BFD.

IMO it's just extremely disappointing to be a member of the "Ferrari ownership family" and be treated like non-family. Like buying three new Ferrari's from the dealer is insufficient to warrant the courtesy of an opportunity to buy this car, however remote the possibility I may be offered the car?

This is my perception, which means it's my reality. It may not be Ferrari's intent to annoy me, but someone on the Ferrari marketing side needs to be enlightened that they royally did.

I hope that somebody reads this.

Mike

2. davide b

davide b Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2007
    montecarlo
    Full Name:
    davide
    try to buy one, probably is sold out, but call your dealer and ask. Also the 599 gto is officially sold out since the pubblic unveil, but in fact there are few new car on the dealers in europe...

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    Mike- I figured out a long time ago I was not one of the "big boys". Sounds like you have not figured that out yet. Were you in the running for an Enzo, an FXX, a 599 FXX, or a GTO and will you be on the list for the Enzo replacement? I know I was not and will not be and those are the folks that got invited to the premiers and also were asked whether they wanted an SA Aptera. I am sure they did not get too far down their prioritized list before they ran out of cars and they probably have quite a few on the reserve list if one of the promised drops out of the running. It is always good business to have your product sold out and have no risk for making a profit.

A man's got to know his limitations.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. Garymyman

Garymyman Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2008
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Gray
    #4 Garymyman, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    I'll repeat my comments from the "official" thread, since they fit better here:

I don't understand the low production number. They built 448 550 Barchettas and 559 575 Superamericas. Each of those has held their value a damn sight better than their coupe counterparts, and I doubt they had any trouble selling them new either.

Building 80 just ensures they'll be packed away in bubble tape only to be seen at the 2040 Barrett Jackson.

At least this kid is getting one...
    http://jalopnik.com/5631714/meet-the-21+year+old-student-with-30-supercars

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    In the old days Brock Yates biog of Enzo implied the way to get on the preferred list was to offer up your wife

I don't know what the criteria are today but there's family and then there's family and I'll wager for the latter the buying process doesn't really begin with the dealer

I would imagine the VVIP list received a call from the importer or the factory about this car a few months ago (and the Enzo etc etc) and local dealers only found out about it today when customer's who thought they were special found out about it and told them

Now if Sir would like a 599GTO perhaps that could be arranged.....

6. SoCCieBon

SoCCieBon F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I agree completely!

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Like buying three new Ferrari's from the dealer is insufficient to warrant the courtesy of an opportunity to buy this car, however remote the possibility I may be offered the car?"

You are correct, buying three new cars is hopelessly insufficient to warrant an opportunity to buy the car. May I suggest a spending level of, say, $1 million annually?

Whatever made you think it's a "family?"

8. mikebrinda

BANNED

Dec 21, 2008

It is good to have your product sold out in advance. But this thread is about the process by which that "sold out" happens to occur. To use your vernacular, clearly I am not a big enough boy to Ferrari to warrant an opportunity to buy this car, and they let me know that loud and clear. As one who preaches Dirty Harry's classic line to others, I think I grasp it myself.

My point is not about how few or how many units Ferrari chooses to build. It's solely about how they went about this particular sale process. Whether past limited production Ferrari models have followed this same closed-society sale process is over and done with. But they did it again. And I have another opinion now about that: The email I received illustrates Ferrari's Achilles' Heal.

Although . . . I was deemed "worthy" enough by Ferrari to look at official pictures of something I could not buy. Perhaps I should be grateful for that?

No.

Mike

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I agree totally. Let's see if I understand. You're good enough to buy a special xmas boxed die cast for 256E but only good enough to receive news that you weren't offered this one and you can't buy it anyway? These guys are clowns and the guys marketing Mclaren/MB/RR/Bugatti/Pagani/Porsche/Aston/BMW/ aren't.

A cold wind will soon shake their windows and rattle their walls.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    A Man's got to know when it's time to say **** You.

11. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Mike,

How would you propose Ferrari distributes 80 cars otherwise? Serious question... you're disappointed with how they did it, what would you have preferred?

With only 80 cars being built it's inevitable that many were disappointed and many feathers were ruffled.

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Surely many manufacturers announce their limited edition cars only after the favored few have ordered them - I'm thinking of the Reventon various extreme MB etc etc - the only recent significant exception is the Aston 177 but even that I'll bet they really wanted them all gone first and end up making fewer than planned

13. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    I feel your pain but the reality is it's nowhere near enough to be on the 'Ferrari VIP list'......to give an example there are customers at my dealer who are on their 25+ new Ferrari and are part of the XX program etc etc......now i'm fairly sure those are the type of people who got the initial call.

I know it sucks but that's the reality......at least you now know what to aim for to be on the calling list for the next 'limited edition' car.;)

14. SoCCieBon

SoCCieBon F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2008
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Marc
    +1!

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ferrari is full of themselves and it is nothing new. It is sad that such a great brand is managed this way where good customers are left with a poor taste in their mouth after spending several hundred thousand dollars.

It seems that this comes from Ferrari Spa as every dealer i have met have always been great.

16. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    If it is any consolation, I am a GTO & Enzo owner and I didn't get the call either... I don't know how these guys can run their business by sh****ng all over their clients

I wouldn't have bought the car, but I would have appreciated being invited to the private viewing and having the opportunity to register my interest... They obviously thought that after the GTO I was tapped out!

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Why build only 80? To keep more factory workers laid off? To leave millions of euro's on the table? Real demand is probably about 500 at 300ke 150,000,000e vs 32,000,000 (80@400K).

Does anyone seriously think that anyone really gives a **** if they build 80 vs 500?

18. jmm

jmm Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Initially, these cars are all sold out. So, should the interest stop there? No, of course not. They will be sold again. And then again. The people who have millions of dollars worth of Ferraris sometimes get bored, sometimes run out of space, sometimes have a reversal of fortune or sometimes like to make money. It is important that these "dream cars" be well known and popular. I would imagine that some magazine is negotiating, either with Ferrari or one of the blessed owners, to do a test drive and report on this bad boy.

I'm extremely interested in it even though I'll never own one and I would be grateful for a heads up on its existence and I would go see one if I knew where one happened to be.

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The point, the whole point and nothing but the point. Their marketing department are total idiots. You should have been invited PERIOD. Anyone who thinks you shouldn't should be fired immediately and I'm being serious.

20. mikebrinda

BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
    An excellent question. The direct answer is this: Give current customers the perception of a chance to buy before you announce it is sold out.

The root issue is about managing perceptions. Did Ferrari give their current customers a chance to even express interest, much less buy this car? No. Would the Ferrari cachet have been damaged in any way had all their customers been allowed to express interest in buying this model? Another, no. So why didn't Ferrari choose that path? Too much work for their dealer sales personnel to field those pesky calls from the Little People who want to buy this model?

I'm thinking there are 80 people in the world who have more Ferrari's in their garage right now than I've ever owned in total cars. I get that. So it is Ferrari's choice to craft a marketing strategy that forever reminds the other 99.99% of its customer base they have no hope of buying some models? You Little People keep us afloat, blank you very much, but those limited production cars go elsewhere?

No way that marketing strategy flies with me. In fact, it's not even a "strategy" within Ferrari. It was and is, simply business as usual. It's on auto-pilot. We can treat our customer base as we wish and they just keep on buying. So who cares?

Clearly, I cared.

Mike

21. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    My friend If I were them:
    1. I would announce the car BEFORE the order book opened
    2. I would explain to my clients that I will only make 80 and give priority to current owners who have owned multiple cars
    3. I would then select 80 and write a very nice letter to all those who got rejected thanking them for their interest and telling them how much I hope I can interest them in our next car

And before anyone says that they had to gauge interest and pre sell everything before building it, we should remember that we re talking about 80 cars only...if Ferrari need guaranteed sales to build 80 cars, it means they have no confidence in their product

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

They'll build 150, and claim only 80. It's some kind of compulsion, I think,

Carbon, start counting those serial numbers, ok?

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That would be Ture.

24. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Agreed, that is the way they should have done it but alas for some strange reason they didnt, one wonders who exactly came up with the current stratergy? I speak under correction but in the past the way you describe is the way it has worked with cars like the Enzo etc.

Why 80, I mean its a strange number, why not 200 at least....that would still make the car rare. Sad thing is of the 80 I bet 80% will never get driven any decent distance....

25. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    +100
    Ferrari will build more than 80 cars anyways, and look idiots for doing it. "Let's piss off our core customer base and then we'll build more cars." Way to go Ferrari. I wonder when they finish building number 120 of 80 if this will still look such a great idea.

This is a blatant attempt by Ferrari to keep an air of exclusivity around the brand.