Comment on Sales Process of SA APERTA | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Comment on Sales Process of SA APERTA

Discussion in '612/599' started by mikebrinda, Sep 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lipscomb

lipscomb Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Ca.
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thanks Mike for igniting an excellent thread that has drawn a lot of well deserved and intelligent comments.The arrogance of Ferrari corporate is astounding.And,it's top down.The only thing about the experience that won't disappoint you is the car itself.It too though,has it's own style of arrogance, but it will be directed elsewhere.

2. breitlingherst

breitlingherst Karting

Aug 21, 2007
    I just spent the better part of my evening reading the 7 pages of comments as to this new model. Great evening, might I add!

I am part of that 20/30 generation that knows of Ferrari's racing history and a few famous drivers, but not much more. I grew up with Ferrari as the rare street-race-car, where I would always shut the radio off and roll down the window to hear the car's engine in passing and admire the design.

Maybe it is my lack of Ferrari racing knowledge, but being told that I have to buy X number of previously-loved Ferrari cars before I am eligible to purchase a brand new model, will cause me to look at other high-end brands with models that I can acquire "now". I certainly respect Ferrari history but am not in undeniable awe over everything-Ferrari. I certainly am not the type of customer that will gladly purchase a few previous models just to fill up the "previous models owned" field on an application for the new model that I really want. A Ferrari is a wonderful car to drive, but to some extent I am personifying these cars and don't want to purchase a car that I do not really love; like the car wont fully be appreciated in my home, as I am from day 1 yearning for something else!

In response to this issue, I may be the customer that will pay over list to eventually acquire the car that I really want. For example, sure paying $1.3m for an Enzo is 2x over list, but it is a lot cheaper than having to purchase how many other Ferrari cars in order to originally be offered the opportunity to purchase the Enzo? As others have mentioned in a separate but monetarily related situation, money talks and paying $$$ to get higher up on a list may erode the concept of a "fair list" built on loyalty (through XX car purchases).

I understand that Ferrari has operated this way for awhile and probably will continue to operate this way until their balance sheet says otherwise.

For all those that are perturbed by Ferrari's actions with the Aperta, would you gladly purchase the car today if Ferrari called you right now and said, "we will sell the car to you with a 20% markup?)

3. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Has much less to do with being offered the Aperta. Much more to do with how its sale and unveiling was perceived by Ferrrari's clients.

4. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Don't be too quick here. Many, many people have looked silly by underestimating Ron Dennis. I saw the car in London and I have read the literature. I think it is going to knock down the doors of many.

I agree with Ferrari on the aluminum tub--less long term maintenance on high production numbers of cars, while CF may not "wear" well on cars being used a lot.

But, I think the MCL will be pretty sweet.

5. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar

6. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I wouldnt buy it if they offered me the car with a 20% discount...

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    He's done well, but I'm sorry, if you're going to be asked to drop the same as a median house, rationality leaves the discussion. But then again, different strokes...

There is another thread that I saw where someone was trying to repair the stress cracks in his Speciale seats. CF has its place, in race cars or other throw away items. I'd like to see 100 years of data before I really want to buy a car made of the stuff, or fly on a commercial plane made with it. But that's just me.

8. lipscomb

lipscomb Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Ca.
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The rich?No,no and no.The very rich?No,no.The very,very rich?sorry,not today.The " Elite 80 "? YES!

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Woolf- Times change. The 787 will work great. They built an autoclave that does the fuselage in one piece. That aircraft has had more engineering scrutiny and over-engineering than anything produced in recent memory. Now I would worry about flying in an Airbus A350, where the fuselage is made in multiple pieces and bonded together. But then I never did like Airbus aircraft. Even the name sucks.

Taz
    Terry phillips

10. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    The psychology of Ferrari's marketing is fascinating! Many of us were insulted or on the verge of being... To paraphrase: "What about me? Am I not in the Ferrari owner family? How could Ferrari not tell me about the car, before they sold them all?" That has to be the response they were looking for... envy.

Let's face it, if we didn't love the mark, hit delete, email to trash. Hard to be offended by an email news bulletin.

I am insulted that the SA looks like a corvette convertible to me. Flame suit on. Interesting thread! Thanks.

Best, David

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I would gladly pay that premium if that car had any practical use possible for it.
    Not with that stupid roof ,limited to 70mph that prevents driving that thing in real life......
    Another 550 Barchetta,totally useless......

12. dgfhdfgh

dgfhdfgh Guest

Jan 30, 2009
    The question is…are they well and truly sold out?

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    In an interview from the Sept issue of CAR mag. Luca described the Aperta as a car for "collectors".

14. mikebrinda

mikebrinda Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
    Speaking for myself, not even remotely "envy". Disappointment in their marketing methodology and decision making style.

Mike

15. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

George:

You have a right to feel snubbed. But, if they offer you the car at a discount, I will gladly pay full list for it.

Your GTO is a beast. I'd love to have the Aperta.

I'd be the one guy out of 80 who puts 5,000 miles on it in the first 9 months. Sand and rock chips on the front, wear lines in the seats. The top would never see the light of day.

Yeah, I'd ruin the car.

And love every minute of it.

16. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Those of you that do not own at LEAST one, or preferably more, of Ferrari's hypercars (that does not include the 599GTO) will NOT be offered the Enzo replacement. It's that simple.

The hierarchy:
    1. Owners with all four, known to factory (being known by the dealer means nothing) will automatically be offered one, and others with multiple examples of them (like 2 Enzos or an owner with a racing F40 LM, a road F40 and and Enzo) will.
    2 = Owners who go racing with Ferraris and buy Ferrari's challenge/track cars. FXX etc.
    2 = Owners with heavyweight classics - but these guys tend overlap with 1st category.
    4. Owners who have at least 1 Ferrari hypercar and have spent a few million on limited editions may have a long shot but I think will get nothing.

If you think buying, 3 430 Spiders, a Scud, a 458, a 599GTO in succession or simultaneously, will do it, then you're living in a fantasy land and your dealer is outright lying to you.

Jim - you'll have experience of this as well. No Ferrari is really really sold out. I've seen big shots order 360 Challenge Stradales 1 year after the production run has ended. This 599 SA may be sold out via the dealers in the USA, but a wink and a nudge from a big shot coupled with a visit to the factory and an allocation for a connected-person will be created for you at a dealer of the factories choosing. They'll tell you, "yes, collect it from here..."

I've seen it too many times.

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Out of interest is your take (in particular ref 1 & 4) that it requires one to be the original owner/purchaser or will after-market buyers get a shot ?

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    One point here. All I'm saying out is that marketing that pisses of customers like George is as Lucinda Williams sings: "all ****ed up".

19. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    @Greyboxer.

My view mate?

First time hypercar owners still in possession are Ferrari's holy grail. Self evident, true collectors, already known to Italy for years. Not many around though...

Aftermarket/used purchasers MUST BE KNOWN TO THE FACTORY IN ITALY. I could buy all four cars tomorrow and if the guys in Italy don't know, I'd never be invited for the Enzo replacement.

Nothing like sending your 288GTO and F50 down to the factory in Italy for a top down restoration and Classiche certification to get known... that'll help. :)

20. mikebrinda

mikebrinda Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
    Assuming this is all gospel truth . . . great. Wonderful. Not a problem. Allocate your cars to whom you wish. Just . . . don't send me an after-the-fact email asking me--- you know, one of the many guys that fills the higher-volume model Ferrari order pipeline, to join your "celebration" of the already sold-out Ferrari Model X. Do not remind me with a brick that I will never have the chance to order some of the lower production volume models that I may want to buy.

Mike

21. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    I apologize Mike. It wasn't my intent to imply envy on your part. It was stupid speculation on my part as to the motive of Ferrari's methodology. I enjoy your posts and hope you are well. Best, David Hudson, Dallas, TX

22. big.bryant

big.bryant Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2008
    Boulder, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bryant
    Interesting insights on the current SA's marketing technique.

I unfortunately believe that although the marketing is less than ideal for many, and that it would be in everyone's best interest to do a pre-order system that decides the quantity of vehicles sold, Ferrari will still be able to find enough people willing to pay whatever it takes to get on that list and be "one of the 80."

23. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Sorry to have to say this boys, but what a bunch of whiners!

Ferrari is the abusive husband and all of you are the poor wife who is constantly cheated on, beaten and disrespected all the the time. But she never leaves.

Grow a pair, buy a Porsche or a Lambo and free yourselves :)

24. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    This is pretty amazing.... I have to agree (like most people it seems) that their marketing is not the most "refined" let's say but there are a few things to remember here i think:

Some of you talk about Lamborghini, Porsche and other brands doing it better but let's not forget that in the past 2 years Ferrari is the manufacturer that lost the least amount of sales compared to all the others. If I remember right Lamborghini lost something in the region of 40% of sales in 2009!!!!

Ferrari has never been known for their customer service and marketing. They have always done things their own way. This doesn't mean it's the correct way and that they shouldn't change in the future....but for now (and the past 40 years) it works!

Someone also mentioned that they have excess capacity and that they are not producing as many California as expected. I am sorry but where did you hear that from? They don't publish these sort of results and unless you work for Ferrari (or know someone really well in there) there is not a chance you can know for sure. If they had such an excess capacity to produce cars they would definitely not have such a long waiting list.

I think going forward the only manufacturer that can "bother" Ferrari is McLaren but it will take quite a few years. Let's wait and see how the cars really are, the customer service is (after a couple of years when they settle down) and all the rest....

Last but not least, being Italian I know this pretty well, the "best" and very often the only way to get what you want in Italy (Ferrari included) is asking a favour or help from someone well placed! It has always worked, it still works and unfortunately it will most probably still work like that in 100 years! I bet that at least 20 to 30% of the SA allocation and future Enzo will be sold to "friends of friends" of people in Ferrari :-(

25. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ferrari increased productive capacity from 5K to 10K with the hope of selling 5K California's per year. That demand isn't there period. The reason they can't build to demand is that the new Calif. line isn't for free to change over to 458 production for example and a bigger issue is their union contracts. In Italy if you hire additional workers it is VERY expensive to lay them off should you have to. Ferrari has already had to lay off workers and that's never financially pleasant.

Ferrari's US marketing/distribution/pricing has had serious issues over many years. I had a very detailed meeting with JT about this and supplied him with information that showed the price that "used" 599's and 430's were selling for in the US. Personally I would much rather see that overage flow back to the Factory than into the pockets of US Dealers/Flippers/and brokers and I told them so. I was told that the data I supplied pissed off a number of people. The truth often does.