Comment on Sales Process of SA APERTA | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Comment on Sales Process of SA APERTA

Discussion in '612/599' started by mikebrinda, Sep 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Here is what Steve had to say about the preview as posted in another thread>

It was near the Quail, inside the gated section of the golf course, up in the hills. Even with the invitation it was hard to find the Location. As for photos, it would be extremely difficult for anyone to take a pic, they ask us to surrender all cameras and cell phones. Also there were as many of them in the room as the invited guests at any given time.
    Form what they told me the car on display was the only one in existence, first time ever out of the factory grounds. The front end of the car is 599 convertible specific, looks great, it will be equipped with the GTO engine with the single clutch F1 system. Definitely the new retractable top raised some eyebrows, according to them it would take only a few seconds to put in on and off, but it took two of them one each side of the car to place it back on. Good news is convertible will weigh exactly same as a GTB. There are three new convertible specific colors; a new Red, a Navy and Black, all have some sort of sheen in them.
    They anticipate on releasing the car spring of 2011, there is no name for it yet, I think it may end up being called a Barchetta, I asked how many they intend to build, all they said was going to be in very limited amounts, fall less then the Barchetta or the Superameric

2. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Questions, questions, questions...

Gr. Martin

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Like any good reporter......

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Confiscated cell phones? How draconian! Thanks for the on-hand report. Next reporters will have to get cameras that take a picture from their belt buckle! I was wondering, you who were lucky enough to attend, whether they ever mentioned , or gave due credit to, the one-off Aperta (the gold Ferrari) as being an inspiration for the production car since Pininfarina was displaying the gold car on a raised platform at Pebble Beach , about 100 ft. from the actual concours but several miles away from the Quail. I don't know the timeline of the development genesis of both cars, but would it be a wrong conclusion to say that the privately-funded one off car served Ferrari well as their development car for the production car? Or was the production Aperta already in progress when the well funded American showed up with his picture of an old car in a movie and wanted something built to recollect that car?
    Finally and this is just a minute tech detail, did they check the invitations against a list and against your i.d. so that, if you got an invite, you couldn't give it to someone else? It sounds a little easier to get into the White House than a Ferrari preview...

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I was invited and went. Got the invitation through my e-mail.. I honestly don't remember if they checked my ID, I doubt it though. I had to give my name and that's it, but I was able to bring my family in who was not initially on the list without any problem.

There was no mention of the P540.

You should've asked these questions months ago, I've forgotten most everything else :)

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am a little surprised they didn't show the gold 540 Aperta alongside the production model and say "this is where the idea came from" but the fact that on the official Pininfarina Ferrari display at Pebble (which was about 100 ft. from what I call the "dream car" lawn,) they did display it with some production Ferraris so that was a roundabout way of saying the 540 Aperta was important to them.
    I wonder if in their "portfolio" program there's a little clause deep down in the contract that says in effect: "If we happen by chance to subsequently mass produce a design similar to your custom creation, you are not entitled to royalties."

Now that we know they have these secret previews at Monterey, speculation can now commence on

--wiil they have one in 2011?
    --if so, for what model (458 spyder? Enzo replacement?)
    --how many Ferraris will you have to own to be invited?

7. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    The idea for the car might not have come from the P540 though.. I don't see too many resemblances honestly. I don't think it takes much imagination to want to see a car without its top.

As far as previews in Monterey, they're not always top secret. I've been to Pebble twice so far, in 2006 I was at the preview for the 599 and this year I was at the preview of the SA Aperta. The 599 wasn't nearly as exclusive, though you still had to be invited, it was held in a large tent that was hard to miss if you were walking around. Will there be a preview next year? It's certainly possible.

8. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I just got around to reading the Yearbook and saw an article of interest to this thread titled “Selling the Dream” by Sylvain Reisser (Vol. 11 page 112). The subject of the article is Ferrari’s head of marketing, Enrico Galliera and his ideas regarding “placing the customer at the heart of all concerns and consideration”. He started at Ferrari in April, 2010, after 20 years at a pasta conglomerate. (no automobile experience).

Link to org chart:

http://www.ferrari.com/English/about_ferrari/Ferrari_today/Management/Pages/Management_1.aspx

Some of his ideas are controversial to the sports minded enthusiast (like offering “packages oriented toward Gran Turismo with infotainment systems…” Some are neat, like making sure all the employees have the experience of driving a Ferrari. There is now a new clubhouse at Enzo’s home at Fiorano for owners to experience, and amazingly, second hand cars will be available for impatient buyers, while waiting on delivery of their personal cars.

At its conclusion, the article mentions “limited-series models that are sold out before the general public is even aware of their existence”. “We are guided by the spirit of the family as we prioritise our best customers.” After the interview, Galliera was presenting the SA Aperta to some loyal customers in the space next to his office.

Best, David

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Wise man say, lowest man on totem pole hold totem pole up.

10. skydancer

skydancer Rookie

Feb 19, 2009
    Principality Sealand

+1! the hierarchy fits...imo

11. mikebrinda

mikebrinda Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2008
    #187 mikebrinda, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    From Ferrari News email received today (see below).

Interesting. Because many back in September received a different message:

"Ferrari is delighted to announce the presentation of the SA APERTA at the Paris International Motor Show 2010. This is a special series model of which a strictly limited number of just 80 will be built. All have already been sold."

Or, maybe not.

Mike

Ferrari SA Aperta Celebrates Six Decades of Classic Open Ferrari V12’s

Automobile connoisseurs of all stripes have strong opinions of what they believe to be the greatest, most significant, most beautiful or most memorable automobiles of all time. Sure to take places on most of those lists, however, are the limited-production, open Ferrari V12 classics, among them the 250 GT California, 330 GTS and 365 GTS/4 “Daytona” Spider. In the past decade, the 550 Barchetta and 575 Superamerica continued that tradition, and last fall, the newest modern classic open Ferrari V12, the 2011 SA Aperta, joined their ranks.

It’s no secret that Ferrari clients and collectors had been hoping for a new open V12, and it’s probably not a surprise that the one Ferrari produced would join the 599 GTO in the brand’s limited series. Like the GTO, the SA Aperta also is built around the 599 GTB Fiorano architecture. And, as the 599 GTO became the fastest-ever front-engine Ferrari V12 berlinetta, the SA Aperta immediately took its place as the fastest-ever open Ferrari V12 model. Powered by the most recent version of the 6.0-liter V12 offering 661 horsepower, that was to be expected. In the SA Aperta, the V12 is teamed to the F1 six-speed transmission.

The Ferrari SA Aperta (“Aperta” is Italian for “opened”) celebrates not only the tradition of the open Ferrari V12, but also the nearly six-decade collaboration between Ferrari and Pininfarina. This renowned design house has been responsible for most Ferraris since the mid 1950s — and certainly the most memorable open variants. The car’s “SA” wordmark honors Sergio and Andrea Pininfarina.
    The designers’ goal for the SA Aperta was to craft a true open roadster, providing a light soft top for weather protection when needed. Mainly, the SA Aperta was designed for enjoying high-powered driving along the world’s great roads on those perfect top-down days. Just a glance at this special car can inspire visions of taking the long sweeping curves and tight corners along the West Coast’s U.S. 1 or France’s Cote d’ Azure.

From any angle, the SA Aperta looks hungry to devour a road, yet its lines speak more of powerful elegance than brutal performance. Accordingly, the SA Aperta is the most refined open Ferrari V12 ever, combining the comfort and available luxury of the 599 series cars with the added excitement of an open roadster. A low-slung windshield accentuates the SA Aperta’s low-to-the-ground stance, while in profile, retaining the flying buttress design from the 599 GTB provides a continuity of line from the A-pillar rearward. The buttresses rise up to meet fairings behind the two roll bars; these mimic the contour of the seats to provide the sleek appearance of the classic Ferrari sports racer.

Significantly, in building an open car on the 599 platform, Ferrari has preserved exceptional strength and stiffness of the berlinetta while adding minimal weight. Notably, Ferrari’s heritage points to numerous open V12 models that likewise preserved the performance characteristics of a closed coupe; Ferrari clientele would accept nothing less.

Like any new Ferrari, the SA Aperta offers clients nearly endless choices in personalization, with both the standard palettes in the Carrozzeria Scaglietti program or custom opportunities through Ferrari Atelier, the latter now available through the Ferrari Showroom in New York City. The virtually endless combinations of materials, trim and colors ensure individuality for each SA Aperta and ensure that each will be a one-of-a-kind classic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    :) Wiser man say, lowest man on totem pole only sees ar$eholes when he looks up ...

Indeed ... + all the politics behind the scenes playing a role as well. Hard to please everybody with only 80 cars being produced.

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Anyone else think Ferrari is playing catch up to Bentley?

First the FF (Italian Conti GT), now reminding people they can customize the cars (a la Mulliner)...

14. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    It appears that the marketing department were attempting to be clever with the subject line of the email: "Ferrari Revives Tradition of the Bespoke Car". According to Websters, the word "Bespoke" can mean custom (tailor made) or engaged (i.e. already sold), even though the article reads like you can get an Aperta today. (using the words " now available"). This is NOT very bright marketing if you ask me. Can you imagine going into a dealership with the intent to customize a car and being asked by the salesman "where have you been, man???" The car sold out in August, last year...

15. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
  16. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    Sorry if it's repost but I'd like go back to August 2010.

Every pertrolhead was awaiting the release of the Ferrari 599 Roadster at Pebble Beach, but nobody really saw it. Not seeing it for real, does not mean it was not there. The vehicle was showcased behind closed doors to a select group of customers....

Does anybody can confirm this pre-launch? Any photos may be?

Also I found next well known letter from Marco Matiacci to Nicolas Jimenez (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/knickjim/FERRARI%20COLORI%20book/Picture11-1.png). Is it fake or not?

17. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

This has to be the Aperta. I cannot think of another 599 model and based on the timing of this letter, it has to be the SA.

18. carvad

carvad Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Vadim Dobrovolskyi
    Of course it was Aperta.