Comments on this '83 Mondial | FerrariChat

Comments on this '83 Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by bigdreamer, May 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigdreamer

bigdreamer Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Wash. DC area
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Any comments on this '83 Mondial listed on Craigslist in the Portland area? Anyone near the area to check it out?

Ferrari Mondial 1983

2. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

This is a Mondial-8

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 soucorp, May 26, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Actually it's a 1983 QV. Mondial 8 is 80-82.
    QVs are from 83-85. Not a bad car, no garage queen, not concourse but looks like a daily driver. With up to date maintenance, it seems to be a good car. It's got updated 16 rims so no TRX, but cheese graters are missing. Passenger side mirror is missing, radio antenna needs to be replaced. Interiors are alil rough, but prob can pick it up for a bargain depending when last major was done.

4. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    Get a PPI the price appears to be about right however please read my post. A PPI could
    save you thousands.

5. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Not many close up photos of the outside of the car.

6. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    My car looks great in pictures inside outside all around. However stand next to it clean and look at it and you see as it sits it is not anywhere close to the value it could be. Engine was the same way before 12k to get it fixed from neglect of previous owner. Get a PPI it's worth it

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    sure its a mild project, but at $20K there isn't a whole lot of downside left.

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Plenum chamber....it's a Mondial 8 Chaps.

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #9 soucorp, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Very good point Bell, must be an 82 not 83 QV or someone swapped the plenum with an 8. Ad says it's a euro spec and certified in 1984 imported to US.
    This is what a QV engine bay should look like...

But I'm confused, here is another 83 ad with the same setup: http://classiccars.com/listings/view/595651/1983-ferrari-mondial-for-sale-in-anaheim-california-92807 The engine is an 8 but the rear badging says Mondial Quattrovalvole. Could it be a euro spec thing?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Looks like a very expensive car unless one wanted to just drive it and ignore problems. The missing parts is a bit unnerving. And I just don't like a car that has had engine work at a low mileage. To me it says it was used very hard without proper care in its early life. Just my opinion. Wish I was home more than a few days a month, I'd like to go see it to check it out.

11. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think we have to first determine if its an 8 or a QV. Makes a huge difference on originality of car, pricing, resale???

12. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    #12 sidtx, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    I brought up a similar question on several other threads about other cars for sale that had the black plenum.

Here's one for sale at DC-Motors: Pre-Owned 1983 Ferrari Mondial in Anaheim Hills CA | Serving

It's listed as an 83 QV (Euro), but has the black Mondial 8 Plenum.

I've seen several others like this. The one thing I noticed was that they were all listed/described as "Euro" cars. So, maybe the early Euro QVs had Black Plenums?

Sid

OOPS: Just noticed that my link is pointing to the same car that Mike linked to.

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    This could be confusion about the way model years are assigned and cars are sold in Europe. Usually in Europe, if a car is manufactured in 1983, it is sold as a 1983, where here it may be built in 1982 and sold as a 1983.

Us manufacturers really try to get ahead on the next model year, so you may have a car that was made in the USA in August of 2001, but sold as a 2002 model.

Just my thoughts, could be wrong.
    Alden

14. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #14 soucorp, May 27, 2015
    I do know that an 85 Mondial 3.2 is only in coupe form. 3.2 cabrios are 86 - 88 only.
    So there are lag time in coupes to cabrios that differ in years. Maybe this is something related to that...

exempli gratia: here is a manual for a 85 3.2 coupe but look at the 85 cabrio ref part in back of manual, has the qv front/interiors/engine: All Ferraris go to The Downloads/Owners Manuals/ download Owners Manual Mondial 3.2 1985

15. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Hi Mike

I can't pull up that link for the 85 3.2 Coupe.

I do have a question however. Were there both QVs and 3.2 Coupes in 85? In North American spec?

The reason I ask, is that I have an 85 QV Coupe - US Spec.

Sid

16. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 soucorp, May 27, 2015
    hi Sid, yes, my understanding is there were some over lapping, yours was still a QV in the production line in 85, where as later in the year 85 coupe units got the 3.2 version. see my revised post above but navigate to: www.ferraridatabase.com The Downloads/Owners Manuals/ download Owners Manual Mondial 3.2 1985

17. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    It does have a QV interior, but a 8 plenum. I have seen other QV pictures with 8 plenums.
    The HVAC is substantially different between the 2 cars and it would be a hell of a job to fit the more advanced QV controls to the more basic 8 A/C parts. No straight swap by a long shot.
    I THINK it is a QV with an old plenum but I don't know.

18. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #18 soucorp, May 27, 2015
    I think its the coupe lagging to cabrios, so all 83-85 QV cabrios got the correct plenum that spells out Quattrovalvole but there was some over lapping for coupes that still used old parts until they ran out is my best guess. You have to remember Ferrari was a lot smaller company at that time unlike today's production line processes and Quality Control in place.

19. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Guys, also I'd just like to say that now prices are on the up, there is a lot of 'passing off' going on here in the UK ie. people painting the plenum on their 8 red etc....and more.

20. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I'ld say it's a QV.
    The only thing that points towards '8' is the plenum.
    All the rest: center console, steering wheel, dashboard, doorcards, logo on backpanel, ..., make it a QV.
    This also isn't an Euro car hence the diaper.

Isn't it possible this is an early QV wearing some leftovers from the 8 shelves?
    A lot of manufacturers are doing this.

21. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Interior is definitely a QV.

I think this is a Euro car. The Craigslist ad even notes this with: " euro spec car imported into US and certified 1984,"

I know, I know - craigslist ads are not the place to get reliable info on cars. However, the description does fit with what we are seeing.

Sid

22. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    It's a euro QV. 100% sure :) I have seen at least a dozen '83s having this plenum chamber. The first '83s had the Mondial 8 plenum and they changed it later.

US vs EURO
    US has black fuel distributors and euro is plain alu. ;)

23. Mondial83

Mondial83 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2014
    I painted my plenum and my valve covers red. I just liked the look of it better than the black. My shop said my car was a euro spec???? I did not think it was at all so how do you tell?? I know it's an 8 non QV

24. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    You can check the VIN... the decode list is somewhere in some threads in this forum.

25. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike