"Comp Daytona" at Sheehans.... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"Comp Daytona" at Sheehans....

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tritone, Mar 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    another group now left out of the HC fun are those who own legitimate old racers, but refuse on principle to submit to Classiche . . . .
    hey, it's by choice, and in our case there are local tracks who have already invited us to stretch our legs.

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I hear you loud and clear.

CW

3. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    At the recent annual "election" meeting of the FCA SW Region at the Petersen Automotive Museum, Sheehan arrived very late, just as the "speeches" were starting, in this car. No consensus: Half said, "How rude to interrupt", and the other half said, "Cool!". It is loud, and neat. Personally, I don't have a problem with a car like this. After all, the factory comp cars were very close to stock. But each is entitled to his own opinion.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Here's my $.02...

$.01: If any of you have actually attended an Historic Challenge event you will realize that more cars need to be let in than left out. There are only a handful of cars in each class and nowhere near enough to make for interesting racing.

$.02: Regardles of what this thing is or isn't, it is LOUD!

5. Donelise

Donelise Rookie

Feb 21, 2008
    Newport Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Don Paul
    #55 Donelise, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
    Cheers Ed ! I'm a old Ferrari mech who used wrench on Jim McRoberts # 65 Comp Daytona and a few others after the Ferrari Store closed it's doors. Over the years I've become much less of a purest when it comes to track cars... I too have no issues with Mike's Daytona.
    All The Best,
    Don Paul

6. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    +1
    I couldn't agree more. We have had these same types of discussions in the vintage Trans Am group as well. Many people are building replicas because there just plain isn't enough cars to go around. Couple that with the price, we are flat running out of participants. Half the cars (not just Ferraris) have no verifiable vintage history that are let in to the Monterey Historics as another example. The fact is they want full fields, otherwise vintage racing threatens to become extinct. Steve Earle realizes this and he has been a financial success as a result. Do you really think that the average spectator knows which car has vintage race history and which one doesn't? Instead of being stuck up snobs, we should all embrace period correct vintage race cars whether they have any history or not for the sake of the hobby. My .02

7. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Where are all these owners with "Real" cars that are so upset. Don't see them at the races.

http://ferrarichallenge.com/assets/RoadAtlanta08DrumR1.pdf ...............Zero Ferrari
    http://ferrarichallenge.com/assets/Infineon08DrumR1.pdf ...............Zero Ferrari
    http://ferrarichallenge.com/assets/MontTremblant08DrumR1.pdf ...............One Ferrari

This is a BIG problem for anyone who loves racing and loves racing Ferrari.

Granted, Ferrari is well represented in the disc brake group but are fields of 6-8 cars what we want? If Sheehan's car was allowed to raced at Road Atllanta, Infineon, or Mont Tremblant it would have been the only Daytona running.

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #58 Napolis, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Ferrari decides who gets to race in HC. Under THEIR rules this car wouldn't be eligible. You see this as a problem. They don't.

I'm involved in making the rules for the Historic Targa Florio. If someone buys this car and wants to run it there I'll get them in.

Different Clubs. Different rules.

The last Daytona we had run at the Targa was driven by Clay. We miss him...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #59 CornersWell, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
    First comment is that you put up the results for the Drum brake races. Comp Daytonas run in the Disc brake events. There are at least two other legitimate Comp Daytonas that run in the series. Less and less frequently, but they're still competitors. Even so, what about the owners of other legitimate cars on the grid regardless of the model? Should a real 512S race against a replica Comp Daytona? So, really, it's relevant to each legitimate entrant regardless of what they're driving.

Second comment is that there are lots of reasons why the grids may be small-ish (relatively small universe of cars, conflicting events, cross-country logistics, costs, broken car waiting for parts, frustration with FNA,WHATEVER). To be honest, even in its heyday, the HC didn't have more than 13-18 cars running in it consistently. Only at Cavallino will you see the "big" grids. That's one event a year, but it's really because it's a part of a much larger event and weekend.

Now, if you're suggesting (as I assume you are) that the HC should encourage bigger grids and permit some "tribute" cars to race against the originals to "fill out" these smaller grids, well, you'll have to take that up with SpA. FNA takes orders from SpA. SpA created the HC, and in Europe I don't think they have a problem getting grids filled. BTW, BBLMs weren't even eligible in the European HC for a while. They were eligible here in Class 6A several years prior to the acceptance in the European edition in order to fill the grids. So, along those lines, what about the 333SPs and F40LMs? There are several of those around that might turn up. I think you'll find that Dave Seibert does make a big effort just to bring together what cars do show up. Over the years, the HC has changed here and there. At one time the HC was "comp'd" by FNA. No entry fees and free gas. That's not to say it was cheap, but that arrangement is no longer. It's gotten steadily more expensive for a number of reasons, time on track is not overly generous, spending wars erupted, the Classiche nonsense has PO'd a bunch of owners, some owners enjoy driving against other non-F-cars in HSR/VSRA venues more (and are steadily being enticed over to them), and some didn't enjoy it as much any longer. I suppose there are many reasons why. Anyway, if the HC wants to attract bigger grids, they can do some things, but admitting replicas and tribute cars isn't true to the series, and I doubt it would even be considered.

CW

10. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    3.5 yrs ago we came very close to returning #12681 to Europe..........although not HC eligible, our plan was to race it in the FOC UK race series, selective rallies Trofeo Baleares etc and a hillclimb or 2 for fun.

To date, Piet Roelofs has built 7 of these superb Comp upgrades with strengthened transaxle, exacting body mods and 30% more bhp....if I'm right, this is now probably the most heavily modified of the bunch

Our view was that it was dramatically different from our standard coupe #16773 and a welcome entry to selective events, as examples of the original 15 are rarely seen.

No misrepresentation, no trying to sneak into events and no cover up of the cars modification

It was all about one thing....FUN!!.... and maybe US $2 to the £ helped a little!

E

11. Damien Duigan

Damien Duigan Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Damien Duigan
    I was the lucky punter in the passenger's chair of Mike's Daytona at the FCA meet and our late arrival at the Petersen Museum was down to a combination of my own lack of navigational skills (Aussie tourist in downtown LA with no sat-nav or map=crap navigator) and roadworks causing traffic jams, not because we wanted to make an entrance - we were as surprised as everybody sitting down to find the lunch was happening right there in the carpark.

Who cares about the eligibility of the Daytona? The outraged looks the it caused on the faces of all the Prius-driving greenies as we blasted up the 405 was well worth going temporarily deaf for. All power to Mike for driving it when so many others don't bother.

Cheers, Damien

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Well, if you want to buy a car to run it in the HC, then you should care.

CW

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Bump for current discussion/comparison