Compatibility ECU Ferrari 360 and Alfa | FerrariChat

Compatibility ECU Ferrari 360 and Alfa

Discussion in '360/430' started by 3s-ge, Sep 9, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi all

From which alfa Romeo can I install ECU to 360 so that I can work in tandem with a master ECU?

Trev wrote about this in some thread , but I can't find it.

Thks

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Pretty sure the 360 ecu is unique to the 360, hence the limited supply and extortionate pricing.

Last time I spoke to Trevor about this, he’s tried loads of different Fiat and Alfa ecu’s and none worked. I’d love to know if something has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    I think you are referring to the TCU. I believe a Maserati unit can be flashed to work with a 360.

4. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    ECU!
    Alpha has exactly the same ECU ME7.3 ECU, I will just need to replace the firmware from the master ECU .
    i hope it will work

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I believe 360Trev has said that the Alfa ECU's are not compatible with Ferrari's

6. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    EastMemphis likes this.
  7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the words on the label. can you give us a better shot?

8. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    when it will be in my hands

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I've had a 360 enthusist in china that claimed he can fix the ecu. I'll send the ecu to him and see what he can do

10. modificator

modificator Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    Many have tried to find a compatible ECU for many years without a success. The long time experts have given up. The ECUs look the same, but differ inside.

But if someone new comes and makes a 360 running on a Fiat/Alfa/Lancia/whatever cheap ECU and shares the details with the rest of us, I'm going to send him/her a gift of appreciation:

The most expensive bottle of wine which my local grocery store carries :)

LorenzoR and brogenville like this.
  11. DARIES

DARIES Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    contact Specialized ECU Repair down in Florida, they will make your life easier. they will fix yours or sell you a rebuilt one, very good zero problems

12. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    Are you sure? I thought they stopped fixing 360 ECUs years ago as it was not working well for them. Now the website says:

"they cannot be rebuilt like most control units. If the hardware is ever defective, they need to be replaced completely."

Company can reprogram a used ECU pair to work with your car for $2,199.00, or maybe also sell used ones, but I'm not aware of them being able to "fix" ECU, unless by "fixing" you mean programming a good, problem free ECU.

DARIES likes this.
  13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Poop..I have a 360 that needs an ecu also. It's shorting the throttlebody..last price I got was $7700 each..that's just crazy..this thread will be a good one to watch.

14. 3s-ge

3s-ge Karting

Jun 23, 2012
    Full Name:
    Alex
    this is a robbery, you can buy new one from the Ferrari for $2000

15. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    #17 ThreeSixtyM, Sep 13, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022

You may find this old thread of mine useful to read. You’re potentially exposing yourself to serious risk if you replace only one ECU. You should always run a matched pair. Just because it came off the same model doesn’t mean the maps match. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/360-strad-ecu-failure.590189/#post-146343505

16. ThreeSixtyM

ThreeSixtyM Karting

Aug 3, 2009
    UK
    Last time I had cause to enquire they would only sell them in pairs. I’d be surprised if that policy had changed since 2018. Four years on, I’d recommend a conversation with AV Engineering (UK) if you have problems and can’t find a solution locally. They have the expertise to help.

17. modificator

Apr 12, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    George
    Are you sure? When I checked last week, Ferrari had none available.

18. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I'm pretty sure the Ferrari spares supplied 360 ECUs are now NLA. One of the leading causes of ECU failure is old throttle bodies pulling too much current and blowing the ECU's throttle body drive circuit. This leaves a dud ECU, and even worse blows the replacement in short order. There's a good thread on here detailing how to rebuild throttle bodies, and there are also small kits available to convert the air intake to use a standard Bosch throttle body easily and cheaply available. To protect your ECUs replace both of the throttle bodies, and get your hands on a spare ECU to have handy in case the worst happens. If you can, download the flash off your current ECUs and store as a backup - ECUs from any version 360 can be then re-flashed to match your car to keep a matching pair.

EastMemphis and tbakowsky like this.
  19. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Has anyone cracked on open?? I have contacts very experienced in smd repair work
    If the part is available i can get a repair
    However i cant test them

20. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    They are not based on smd components. The silicium chips are directly reported on a ceramic PCB and connected by extra thin golden wires. All the PCB is covered by a goo very difficult to remove.
    Except at resoldering the large capacitors (which is known weakness) they are impossible to repair.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Holy moley!
    Never seen anything like it!

22. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Have you tried 2 pack thinners on the sealing gel?

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I've been down this rabbit hole and spent considerable money and time researching it. The number of used ECUs I bought was getting silly..

Every single ECU I opened that wasn't a Ferrari 360 one has a different skew of the board. Sometimes considerably different. Good luck with that one...

What made the 360 quite unique is that for starters it had primary wide band o2 sensors when most cars ran narrow band. The way Bosch implemented wideband o2 sensor control required a specific Bosch chip and on those boards that chip was not present. Furthermore the power drivers H-bridge controllers and outputs where often omitted too as most applications are for simpler cars with less control functions required such as exhaust valves, variators, modular manifolds, etc. The ECUs also ran a different cpu clock speed than the Alfa ECUs I saw so the crystal oscillator was also clocked at a different slower rate on those ECUs too. Not a great start...

I went through and labelled all the chips and extensively documented everything at the time a few years ago and I just never found a match no matter what car it was destined for...

Spot the differences.. take a look and see if you can see the differences!! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk