Conflicted about first purchase. Help? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Conflicted about first purchase. Help?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Chadwick Ferrari, Dec 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well in the end only you can know what is right for you. I run multiple companies, plus I write and I invent things, but even with all that I find time to go for a drive. Usually early (daybreak) in the morning, though at the moment it is 13 degrees out, which makes driving not as much fun. I certainly do understand scratching that itch (I have done it 464 times and have my eye on 465) but I think you might want to try something. Once you decide what model you want (F1/gearshift) then go drive the car (it would be even better if it was the car you are thinking about buying). If you get behind the wheel and all the things you are worried about (car getting damaged, time to drive etc) go away and all you do is concentrate on the experience behind the wheel, well then you found the right car. Because if the car makes you feel like that, trust me you will find the time, because you are going to want that feeling over and over again. Good luck and Happy New Year

2. Rick Hansen

Rick Hansen Rookie

Dec 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    Rick Hansen
    I got my ass a 458 italia and couldn't be happier.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    All of the cars you mentioned should put a smile on your face, but if you are worried about depreciation, forget a new McLaren (great cars and I will probably buy a 720 in a year or 2). The 458s are still depreciating. The 430s are close to the bottom. However, if you want excitement and a secure place for your money, look at the track focused specials.... 430 Scuderia, 458 Specialle. These cars (along with the 360 CS), will give you far more of a thrilling, special experience and keep you much better protected from depreciation.

I have been driving these cars for 30 years. Unless you live in a real dump, they are fairly safe. I DD an F40 in the '90s. All the exotics have done the shopping and Home Depot runs and have never had an issue. I just park far away...... and take 1 spot.

Azikosha likes this.
  4. Scotchguy

Scotchguy Rookie

Jan 2, 2018
    Here is my experience when I faced similar choices:
    Gallardo was horrible to drive with its transmission, as an eample if you were to be stuck in a traffic situation, it is very jerky and leaving it in auto mode will kill the clutch.
    570 is awesome, even a tad larger than the 650. Love the Mac's but they depreciate fast and bad. Also left me longing for the trick suspension like the 650
    R8 is a fun car to drive and the new ones have great tech. Also based on your comment about being wise with money, I assume you will opt for the older model which is a fun car as well, more so if you got the one with a gated manual.
    430 v/s 458 - Love both cars, beautiful design and driving dynamics. I think the 458 excels for a few reasons: dual clutch, more power, better aero, and looks. Obviously as you can tell, I got the 458 and absolutely love it.
    458 costs more than the 430, but I feel its a better car. Hope that gives you some perspective.

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The LP series of cars (2009+) fixed this issue, but is still just a single clutch so it kicks you in the back a little while shifting.

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I don't necessarily think that kick is a bad thing! :)

7. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Curious what mods you have on the 4c. Anything you recommend?

Agree with you on the 4c. Even if cost is no object it provides a very special driving experience that I have not found on any modern car. If you want a car that is extremely visceral yet an event to drive and even reliable the 4c is a great candidate.

8. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Life is too short not to have a Ferrari.

I'm like you in that money loss plays a big factor. Be prepared for big depreciation on a 458. PS I think its the most beautiful Ferrari in 20 years.

However the Ferrari that ticks the most boxes for me is the 430 Scuderia. Of all the cars you list this is an alternative that is "special". "Special" Ferraris tend to hold their value the most or even appreciate. Don't have one yet but its next in line.

9. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    4C is terrific if you’re 5’6” or less.

10. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I don't find that to be true at all.

I am just under 6ft 1" and personally know two other owners--one of them my height and another taller.

My seat is on the lowest setting. I can see all the info on the instrument panel. The guy I know that is taller says the top is a little cut off. The distance from the pedals is perfect for me.

I would encourage anyone interested to simply sit in the driver seat (passenger seat actually has a little less leg room) and make sure the seats are at the lowest setting (the height is determined by bolts so not instantly adjustable). Obviously it depends more on just raw height as people have different torso and leg lengths.

If you are looking for a comfy GT car definitely the wrong car--but that is probably obvious to those looking at 4Cs

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    If you love the 360, can you find a CS? That or a choice between the Scud and a gated 430. Balboni Gallardo also.
    All will be a different experience than theM3.

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well I am not 5'6 (or young) and the 4C is a challenge to get in and out of for some, but it works for me. My car has both transmission (shifts 28% faster) and ECU tune, EC Air kit, all hoses and clamps have also been replaced, and I have sprint booster V3. I also made sure my car had the 18, 17" wheel nd tire package. I know it is frowned upon to list venders on here that are not sponsors (or at least it used to be), so I suggest taking a look at the 4C forum (I am Mrbreeze over there), for about $2600.00 you can get some very nice increases (enough to beat a 430 quite easily)

Robtheheat and cavlino like this.
  13. Stanley D. Ross

Dec 8, 2017
    Full Name:
    Stanley David Ross
    I have had both, and the 458 is the better car, smoother, faster and more fun, plus the wife enjoyed it more, too, which is an added bonus, unless you would rather be alone, of course.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Nothing special about the Balbonis. I think the Gallardo to keep an eye on is the Performante.....the insane wide gap between it and its Ferrari competitor (16M) will wake investors up at some point soon.

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. Chadwick Ferrari

Dec 22, 2017
    Full Name:
    Chadwick
    DD an F40? Outstanding.

Appreciate the advice..

16. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    If you can afford it, then a 458. I have a 430 and my wife has an Italia. Cars don't IMO get much better than a 458.

17. Dward69

Dward69 Rookie

Apr 2, 2015
    I have a 2007 f430 and a 2004 Gallardo and 2007 lotus elise .Everyone always asks which I like better. They are all very different.
    The gallardo is a 6 speeed manual. 430 paddle shift. The lotus is the most fun on a narrow twisty road. You can really ring it out.
    The gallardo is a beast feels the fastest and gets the most attention.(which is annoying) when a minivan is doing 95mph next to you to see what kind of car it is. The 430 is the most comfortable and feels smaller than the gallardo. The f430 feels lighter than the gallardo. I work on my cars myself. F430 is very easy to work on yourself, changing fluids, brake pads, spark plugs etc.
    If I hand to pick one of my cars it would be the f430.

cavlino likes this.
  18. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Someone said it earlier in the thread... Scuderia all the way. You get the look of the F430 which you like with the performance and sound of a race care. I have a 16M (convertible Scuderia) which I would recommend the most assuming you can find one that's not too expensive as their prices have stayed relatively high.

19. Gary Ledden

Gary Ledden Rookie

Aug 26, 2014
    I have a 430 which I love. Considered 458 at first, but decided I wanted a stick shift. It took sometime to track one down. As far as I am aware the 430 is last Ferrari in which this is available, so became no contest. From what I hear, if you want a paddle shift, the 458 with DCT is probably a better option, an F1s apparently get through clutches fairly regularly. As I say, this is only hearsay, and others on here may have more personal knowledge.

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I wonder if any aftermarket company has come out with a more durable F1 clutch ?

21. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I had also heard good things about the 4C and I had always love the looks of Alfas way back to high school when a couple friends them. I liked the fact they were basic sports cars and the 4C is in the same tradition with great design and handling.

A couple months ago I saw a 4C advertised at a local Jag dealer’s lot. The Jag salesman had no experience with Alfas and kept calling it a C4 which I reminded him was a plastic explosive and not to be confused with a 4C. They had taken it in on trade and didn’t know what to do with it, try to sell it or send it to auction.

I believe they were only asking in the low 30s and the mileage was under 5K (maybe way less) and I really thought what the h**l for that kind of money even if I didn’t have room for it how can I go wrong? Well I immediately went to look at it with my check book expecting to just pick it up. When I got there and had a look, it was a great buy a fun toy car but there was no way I could get in and out of the car with my 6’3” frame and bad knees. That car is just for shorter folks or contortionists. IMO

22. braddenning

braddenning Rookie

Aug 12, 2017
  23. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    How often are you going to drive it?

24. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Likely the F430 is the better value, less downside depreciation wise but not sure that is the best reason to select a fun car assuming you can easily afford either F430 or 458.
    I have driven a R8 nice car but sure was not compelled to buy one.
    I haven’t driven a 570 but might be tempted if the drive was fun.
    The Gallardo wasn’t comfortable for me to use for touring or trips so I would pass on it for my use. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. 70383Cuda

70383Cuda Rookie

Nov 28, 2017
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    LOU ESPOSITO
    Greetings all,
    Like Chadwick I too am new to the ownership of ferrari. Most of my history has been either with american muscle (Hemi Cuda's), German (Porsche 924. 944 , 928) and dare I say Nissan ( 350's and GTR)
    Being full blooded Italian my desires have always leaned towards Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati.
    that said, I am truly an old school individual when it comes to cars. I like the older 60's through 90's style and form and get no real please in the new models. to me that is when someone new from a distance exactly what was coming down the road.
    In reality, going fast is nice but not all that practical in most of the US, but driving down the road looking fast just can't be beat.
    Would like any opinions on the pros and cons of old vs new. I am toying with a F355 F1 Spider vs a 348 and Testarossa
    thanks