Congratulations, El Wayne! | FerrariChat

Congratulations, El Wayne!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 134282, Dec 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ...for FINALLY becoming a Ferrari owner...! We all know how long and hard you searched, but now it's all over... You've found one...!

Congratulations, Wayne... :)

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I hope to see a more formal congratulations in the FML.

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wayne. Congrats. We all know how long you've wanted a Ferrari. If anyone deserves one, its you.

Have fun and stay safe

Chris

4. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    Congrats Wayne!

Happy driving!

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    May I add my heart felt congratulations to Wayne for his purchase!

Wayne, I hope every moment is a dream!!!

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Wayne,
    Congrats!! I share your joy!!
    Cheers, Hank

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Thank you all!

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Break a leg, or it is drop a value? :)

Dale

ps Seriously, Peter Egan had a column about old crappy brit bikes where he said that one of the keys to keeping on running was to never, ever, praise the bike. You should instead always threaten the damn thing with the trash compacter!

10. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Fantastic news Wayne, and a fantastic choice. Well, of course you would know what Ferrari to have and of course I would say that a 250 GTE is a fantastic choice (because it is!). Allthough I am nowhere near owning a Ferrari, let alone a vintage one, I´m sure you´ll enjoy it to the fullest.

11. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    at the last GTE reunion we had at Concorso, we had 12 cars. I reckon we will now be up one burgundy!
    Bang makes a dark red GTE 1/43 scale model. Better get one for the office !

12. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Congrats Wayne!

I'm very happy to hear this.

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Wayne.

WAY TO GO.

Now, stock up on shop towels and prepare to dive in, you'll be wiping and tweaking and polishing.......

Nothing like a vintage F car to make the blood boil and your heart stop!

She's a beauty. Looking forward to a full run of pictures (something that will make Carbon proud) once the car arrives in your driveway.

DM.

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    great thread, good for you Wayne, with all that you know and have shared with folks here, best wishes to ya! M.

15. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Enough with the congrats already!

Wayne, we are all going to blow up if you don't produce some REALLY NICE pictures very soon.

john

16. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Congratulations Wayne! Maybe you can get it down to Crystal Cove one of these days :)

17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    congrats. i hope the wait and search was worth it. forza !

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yeah, and some pictures of you and your beautiful new Ferrari, too!
    :)
    rt

19. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Once again, thanks to all of you! Here are the details:

1963 250 GTE series III, chassis number 4289, burgundy/black, cosmetic (and partial mechanic) restoration by Skip McCabe a few years ago and still in excellent condition today, with the exception of the few items that I listed in the other thread. I don't have access to any good photos of the car right now but it's featured, along with Alan Boe's 3339, in Cavallino #127 (Feb/Mar 2002), pgs 24-30.

And here's the (somewhat long and boring) story:

When I first decided to go ahead and purchase a Ferrari earlier this year, I began by looking at the more affordable 2+2s, as my wife wasn't quite convinced that spending $100K+ for a toy was a good idea. I did a little research and spoke to a couple of sellers, including Bill Domm, owner of 4289. Bill mailed some photos of the car and it's restoration to me and asked that I return the photos if I decided not to go ahead with the purchase. I also mentioned to GTE owner and F-car historian Alan Boe that I was in the market.

Around the same time, I became aware of a 365GT 2+2 for sale at Lamborghini Dallas and decided to go ahead and make an offer on that car. Jonathan Peck, whom you all know from here on F-Chat, was very helpful with getting me photos and such of the queen mother but, after I made my offer, he never responded again. Apparently I was just too low! A week or two went by with no response and, before calling him up, I took my wife to see the ex-Harrah queen mother that was for sale at Heritage Classics. "It's a boat!" was her response. "Why don't you just spend more and get something you really want?" Ahh, permission!

So I began to focus on finding a 330/365 GTC. After some searching (and watching GTC prices soar), it became clear that the undervalued Daytona would make a better investment, so I expanded my search to include both the GTC and Daytona. I think you all know where that got me, so I won't go into details. Anyway, to make a long story not-quite-so-long, I once again changed my mind and began looking at GTEs, 330 Americas and PF Coupes (see the other thread).

During our discussion in that thread, I received an email from Alan Boe asking if I was still in the market for a GTE. When I responded that I was, he recommended that I contact his friend, Bill Domm, who was selling the Cavallino car, 4289, so I did. Bill was a little puzzeled. I had completely forgotten that we spoke earlier in the year and that I still had photos of his car in my desk drawer (that I was supposed to return but never did)! Anyway, we struck up a deal, I had the PPI performed by Continental Auto Sports (as several folks in the Chicago area forum are aware - thanks for your help) and Bill offered a discount based on the vehicle's flaws.

The car will be picked up and delivered after the first of the year. End of story. When it does arrive, I will be sure to post tons of pics. Thanks again to all of you for your help and input!

20. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    words can hurt, man . . .

now I need to go out to the garage and console 11199 . . .

can't wait for the pics!

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I knew that would get a response out of you!:)

22. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Wayne, I thought you would have some pics from Oakstreet 2003. There your fine car was on display. As there are many wanting to see some pics, may I be so daring to give them a teaser from the same event? I think you wouldn't mind, would you?

Best
    Boudewijn

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Go right ahead!

24. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie