Converting back to Single High Mirror | FerrariChat

Converting back to Single High Mirror

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by versamil, Jun 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Several years ago I purchased Testarossa 63805 titled as an 88 and imported it from Canada. This is a Swiss car that has the standard electric door mirrors installed. BUT I knew when I was researching the car to buy, that this car should have been a flying mirror car. Sure enough, on close examination, I can see the faintest crack in the windshield pillar where the original high mirror was mounted.

At first, I thought the high mirror car looked kind of goofy, kind of out of balance, but the more I see pictures of them, they're pretty iconic. So the question is, do I convert back? I SEE an original high mirror advertised, and that MAY be the easiest part of going back. I have two mirrors mounted in the usual spot in the door. Aren't there TWO small windows that fill up that triangular space on the original cars? What about the wiring for the electric mirrors. MAYBE the original wiring was left in the windshield pillar. I certainly see that the wiring for the current two mirrors was added in at some point. Done nicely with what looks like factory parts. I have the same switch in the older Testarossa as I have in my 1990 car. What was the original switch like for the single high mirror car?

So some people feel if it isn't broken, why fix it, but what say my fellow Testarossa brethren? Am I nuts to think about going back to the original?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's only money and I agree about the design feature.

But by 1988 they were all dual mirrors.
    I will defer to other owners to weigh in.

I support your thought process, but try blanking off your RH mirror and see how much you miss it, driving.
    The TR she has a wide ass!!

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

If it’s an 88 it wasn’t a single mirror, plain and simple. So
    Either your year is wrong or your researches are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    If you read again, it was Swiss and imported to Canada so "aged" in Title only.
    I'm assuming it's in the US now, from that history.

Pretty common on international sales.....

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

In that case you are right !! My lack of understanding there !

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No worries!

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  8. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Although titled in Canada as an 88, it's really an 86 by serial number. Definitely a high mirror car. I'm going to go through some real grief when I get it assembled and try and get it titled as a 1986, which is what it is.

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Good luck with that and the DMV or wherever you will have to go to get it done, sounds like a mission!

10. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Is the manufacturer ID plate still on the inside of the driver's door jamb? That has month and year of manufacture.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I know only the US cars have, not the european cars

12. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    turbo-joe is correct ( as usual) , my car is a SWISS car, and as such does not have the standard tag the US Models have. IT DOES have the serial number etched in every piece of glass however, and of course the serial number is engraved on the frame on the right side of the car in the engine compartment. Looking at Red-Headed.com's web site, my serial number is clearly in the middle of the range of 1986 cars.

That however isn't the reason I posted the question of converting BACK to the single high mirror. I KNOW the car started out as a high mirror, and with what appears to be a patched hole where the mirror was originally located, is it something most sane people would go back to. I have TWO perfectly good, operating electric mirrors, in their standard, but somewhat boring location. Not having driven a car with the mirror located quite a bit higher, was just looking for thoughts. It is INDISPUTABLY an 86 high mirror car that someone at some point wanted a more modern look to. Kind of like painting the rocker panels and the front valance to match the color of the car, rather than keep them black.

13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Even if Hi mirror would be correct, I would miss passenger side mirror!

14. Natkingcolebasket69

So what advice are you seeking? Whether or not you should be doing it?
    If you intend to keep it do it, if down the line you want to resale then document the heck out of this then

15. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    My '85 Euro has one.

16. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Doing a search on this subject, brings up quite a few posts. Most of these posts are really old. One person seems to have converted his car back to original.
    I guess I'd like to hear from anyone with a high mirror car, and have an honest opinion, to whether the mirror mounted high, losing the ability to look in the passenger mirror, is worth the hassle and expense of converting the car back to it's original condition. IT's really just a "look" that these high mirror cars have. Some people put stupid shields on the fenders of these cars, something Ferrari didn't do, just for the look. BOTH of my Testarossas, have had the rockers and front valance painted the color of the rest of the car. I think it looks good, but frankly want them to be original and will probably go back to the black coating that they originally had. Changing the mirror however is much harder to do, trying to find unobtainium parts. Ferrparts DOES have a mirror. That's a start.

I don't buy my cars with thoughts of selling them or their values. I'm kind of into originality, not customizing a car. But getting the car back together and running is more important than changing the mirrors back right now. I may just buy the mirror to keep until I make up my mind. Can't imagine there's lots of Testarossas being parted out at this time..

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Actually between eurospares and ferrparts there are a lot of TR parts in those spare shops;)

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    photo please

19. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I have a high, ‘flying mirror’ example and deliberately sought one because I like the unique, more exotic look.

By the production numbers, they are a lot more rare than two mirror or 512 TR versions, and so there’s that aspect.

Regarding functionality, I don’t have trouble
    seeing out of the passenger side so much because the cockpit is pretty open. The real issue is actually the driver side/front blind spot created by the high mirror’s eye-level placement. It can be difficult to see when turning left. Also, it can be easy to bump into the high mirror when entering/exiting because of the fact that it doesn’t swing out with the door. That’s about it though.

20. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Imo this shouldnt be a question of whether a high mirror is easy to live with or not.

if you want your car to be original and are willing to spend the money to accomplish that goal then do it. Otherwise don’t. That is all.

21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Walk away from the project for a couple of months. If at that time you are still this passionate about it then go for it. You might be surprised that you keep what you got.

22. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have an 86 that was converted to dual mirror by the first owner shortly after he purchased the car (I'm the second owner). When I purchased the car I had the same feelings about originality and tried to source the missing parts. The mirrors are available but check around on prices. The prices vary dramatically. They are sold factory pre-painted with a unique part number for each exterior color. The switch in the center console is different for the single mirror cars and was very tough to find but I believe the great folks at Algar got one for me. The single mirror has a joy stick style adjuster. The triangle glass piece (fills the window void created when the low mirror is removed) I found to be totally unobtainable but can be fabricated. The wiring is pretty straightforward as the high mirror is shipped prewired with connector. I can try to search my records for parts #s and where I sourced these from if your interested. It was several years ago so the info is likely not relevant.

I sourced the parts a couple years ago but decided not to install. I like the visibility of the dual low mirrors and if I ever sell the car I can provide the
    Parts or have the conversion done. Good luck!

Natkingcolebasket69 and versamil like this.
  23. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Hubs348- Thank you for the post. I was curious about the mirror switch- and what was used. Life is really HARD, when a guy has to be thinking about switching mirrors. There's NOT a chance I'd find a factory YELLOW mirror, so I know I'm going to have to paint a mirror. Ricambi seems to have ONE of the little triangular windows in stock, but I haven't called to verify.

I think while the car is somewhat dismantled inside, I'll make sure I have the wiring in place to wire the mirror in the original position, leaving the existing wiring for the double low mirrors in place right now.

I also have to thank poster V4NGO for his thoughts on visibility of his high mirror car.

xplodee and V4NG0 like this.
  24. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

we did (past tense). .... until about a little while ago when somebody who most certainly saw this thread, bought it.

Previously, it had been sitting on the shelf for probably 15 years.