Cost of Ferrari Ownership...Be aware | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cost of Ferrari Ownership...Be aware

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tomf-1, Jun 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hey Yoshi---What up, guy? Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate the remote PIN number either. It's supposed to come in a 3x5 card. My 360 comes with complete books....except the dang remote PIN card. I did call FofDallas who sold the car and they said they don't have the spare. The owner moved of of state. I agree about losing two sets of keys.

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    They probably weren't lost but kept as souveniers

3. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Sorry guys....been on vacation and trying to play catch up with work..missed this thread.

A couple things:

Newer 360/575/456m/enzo's and from now on, will have the alarm code burnt into the engine ECU. So, lets say you lost your PIN code, you not only need to replace the Alarm ECU, which does run $1500 ish, but you also have to replace the engine ECU for the 1-4 bank. This total will run around $3000 plus labor.

As far as the remotes, they should run around $500 as Chris @ FOC most likely told you.

The dealers do require the PIN code to "break into" the alarm ecu. From there, they then program the new pin to the old ecu. No pin = no getting into the ECU's. I am not 100% sure of when they have made the change stated above, but I belive it was with the 2002 model years and on. Make sure when looking at a car(to buy), that either they have at least two remotes and or the pin for the remotes.

As well, if needed, the remotes take a battery KE23A, as supplied by Mr. Wellington for another 5 years! :)

4. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    what's the difference between the "master" remote and the other remote?

5. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    You need the master (red) to program the ECU on the new pin. After that, it is not needed.

You do not even need any of the old remotes to program new ones. You only need the PIN number and an ign. key. Then once you have gone into the alarm ecu via the detailed reprogramming, you then hit the red remote first and the ECU learns the new frequency.

HTH

6. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Can you open the remote and replace the battery without screwing up the remote programming??? Shouldnt this be done every few years?

7. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Yes and Yes. Remember, the remote is just transmitting a frequency. The ECU has now learned a new frequency with the PIN code, and this is why you do need the red remote at the programing.

On the Bentley's, it is part of the yearly service(replacing the battery).

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hmm... keys for the 308 are $20 or so. i could hot wire it in minutes for free. Hmmm... :)

9. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

the difference might be in the active/passive settings of the unit's brain. I believe it can be programmed either way.

10. roccapalumbo

roccapalumbo Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    ohio
    Full Name:
    robert
    Tom,

1. You can get a new key from ferrari n.a. with the key code. In your owners manual did the previous owner write the key code down? Or you can order a blank 360 key and have it cut yourself, if you do not have the code.

2. New fobs (1red and 2 black) cost $800.00 1500.00 = thieves, Call NJB and associates in westerville ohio 614-891-5678 talk to jack babbitt, great guys

3. You really need the PIN code (4 digits). If fob fails you can use the code to disarm the system to start the car. It is EASY to do and have done it many times. If you do not have the code, you can get it from ferrari n.a. with the car title and vin number.

4. You will need the PIN code first before you can get the new fobs

LOL, I agree also. How do you loose two fobs and a key in 5 years?

11. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Tom,

You need someone to care for you cars for you. Heck, I know a way to save you thousands in sales tax alone, and yet you'll still be able to switch cars frequently like I know you like to do.

If you're interested, shoot me a message.

sfischbach@ everestkc.net

Sean F

12. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I read the title of the thread, and thought your wife left you for good or something. Glad to see its not that serious. :)

Whats 1500 bucks, you had 3 F cars in 6 months, I know you can afford it. ;) :D

13. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Tom, I smell bullschit. Call Phil Winebrenner at Ferrari/Maserati of San Antonio & tell him Maranello Dave from Austin told you to call. 800-234-3466. Tell him what FoD told you, and then ask him what that really costs.

14. jack babbitt

jack babbitt Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    no need for dealer involvement on this issue. we have correct procedures to take jack NJB automotive w.w.w.ferrariguys.com 888 6841465

15. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Jack, this is Tom. Haven't talked to you in months. How is it going, guy? Did you use the picture of my 512TR for the company's website? Hope all is well with the business.

I will buzz you Monday. Thanks in advance to you and others for all your offering of advices.

Tom