Countach Door Latch. Will Mercedes Latch Work? | FerrariChat

Countach Door Latch. Will Mercedes Latch Work?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by frached, Jan 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frached

frached Rookie

May 20, 2017
    Tampa
    Full Name:
    Fares Rached
    Hello,
    I am looking for a drivers side door latch assembly for my 1988 QV. I saw a thread where a gentleman stated the door latch from certain early 70s Mercedes would work. If you have any info on this or a door latch for a 1988 QV let me know.

2. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Here is what i would do.Locate a Mercedes of the model claimed to have the similar door latch, Look at it, there is your answer.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    At least in the Ferrari world Mercedes latches look the same on the outside but the internal linkage is different. I researched this in great detail during a Dino restoration and found a lot of different variances among the Ferrari latches with no direct cross reference to any Mercedes latch. The latches are also press riveted together and impossible to disassemble to mix and match parts.

As for the actual catch that goes on the door frame those are all the same as 70's Mercedes and not too hard to find. The modern replacements found on eBay are not correct as they are all for the later cars (with angled receiver cones). You want the ones in which the cones are square to the mounting holes and those are only available from a scrapped car. As a tip if you find a wrecker tell them to give you the receiver from the rear doors as they are almost always new compared to the front door ones :D

4. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    I do believe I have that. Do you still have the old latch?