COUNTACH front bumper ideas | FerrariChat

COUNTACH front bumper ideas

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by davenichols, May 18, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davenichols

davenichols Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 8, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    #1 davenichols, May 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2018
    I have a "like new" big, black, ugly bumper that was removed from a new Countach back in 1989 in favour of a slimmer, Euro bumper. I don't have an idea of what price I should ask? They are always worth more equipped as they were when they left the factory.

2. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Zero is your answer. Nobody.. nobody will ever buy it. The cars were never meant to have them. Throw it out.

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    This ^^^

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id ask 1k. for the US collector who wants to have the original part its worth something. i have mine in storage and as terrible as it was on the car its worth keeping as thats how the cars came in the usa

BBoyJmE likes this.
  5. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    once removed, owners never look back and say, I want to put that bumper back on at some date for originality
    its the first modification done once someone buys a countach

so, I sit in worth nothing camp.
    Would make a nice wall piece for a garage though

6. davenichols

BANNED

Oct 8, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Ken QV, I disagree with your answer. If you want to sell a North American delivered car, and achieve the absolute top dollar for the car, it needs to be as complete as possible to the day it was delivered new, which would be the ugly bumper. I will agree the car looks much better without, but you can't argue originality.

7. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Its really not about wich part of the world the car was shipped, and what had to be done,in order to satisfy rules and regulations in said Country, as add ons or appendages. Its all about having a Countach in its intended original shape and form,pre modifications. The fuel injection is different, i belive this was already a part of Lamborghinis plan,
    and probably would have been from the get go,if money allowed.all in all a great base line for the Diablo. I have my bumpers stored, but will probably ,at some point ,be worthless.

8. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    I can't even believe we are having this conversation.

9. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    +1

I think ferrari-itis is creeping into Lamborghini land

S_AGATA likes this.
  10. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    This is absolutely hilarious, I agree! The bumpers were often removed in period upon delivery anyway.

I don’t see any Chiron or McLaren F1 owners throwing theirs back on either ;)

11. davenichols

BANNED

Oct 8, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm not sure what really makes this so hilarious. It's just a discussion among a few enthusiasts regarding a question I have. I have entered cars in Concours events on two occasions, and am aware of the judging procedure on items that were replaced on vehicles. I once lost points for using stainless steel nuts on muffler clamps on a 30's area car regardless if they were far superior and resistant to corrosion. However, that being said, I just wanted to find out what people out there (other enthusiasts) thoughts were on the subject. If the purpose of a forum like this is not to discuss such things, please enlighten me and let me know what this forum is actually intended for.

12. S_AGATA

S_AGATA Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2016
    Mill Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Jon/Sean Sohaei
    My apologies if you felt that my comments or any other member's were directed specifically towards yourself.

Regarding your actual question, $1ooo would be a fair price in my eyes.

These bumpers are a part of Countach history as they were a means to squeeze the cars into the USA. In that respect they're a nostalgic item, but not something a buyer would add on to their car.

13. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    I would always try keep it with the car for the next caretaker
    Please do not take my previous post wrong. This is exactly what you were asking for, a discussion. This is a discussion even though, sometime it does not go your way or what you want to hear. As far as my earlier comment, it is because it has been discussed many times over the years. I guess we thought case closed. It had been determined by a popular "vote" I guess you can say.

My suggestion, as I always do, is keep everything if you have the room. I have pretty much still have everything, even replaced parts. I still have the fake fiberglass incorrect wing that was on the car when I got it. It's in excellent shape, painted when the car was, so makes no sense in throwing it in the dumpster. And, since I am not motivated by money, it's not worth selling for a few hundred bucks. If I had one of those bumpers, I would keep it with the car. It's not that it will be a desirable piece but it is something that came with the car, even though it was forced upon the car :)

14. marcussean

marcussean Karting

Sep 21, 2010
    montreal
    Full Name:
    marco
    Hi I am Interested , located in Montreal

15. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Inmo , U.S. car with euro conversion sell for more than cars fitted with the U.S. bumper.

ijvpet and BBoyJmE like this.
  16. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Your thoughts are supported by collated market data, for example, the fact is, the highest price ever publicly achieved by a USA-spec Countach was that accomplished by the completely untouched and original JLA12322, adorned as it was by every possible USA appendage - bumpers, side-markers, rear safety panel, and more besides https://www.conceptcarz.com/profile/21197,9814/1988-lamborghini-countach-5000-quattrovalvole.aspx

I know you mean well, but since you bring this up in this discussion, please allow me to very respectfully correct this notion and clarify for anyone interested, by stating that Fuel injection was never part of Lamborghini's plan for the Countach, nor was money or the lack thereof, the reason why it wasn't.

You see, the original 1971 Countach LP500 concept was based on a Sidedraft carbureted car from the get go, and fuel-injection wasn't even a consideration for that car, the production LP400, or the production LP400S. After Mimran rescued the company in 1980, from 1981 onwards, sufficient resources allowed them to go in whatever direction was best for the cars, yet, the LP400S S2, LP400S S3, LP500S were all based on Sidedraft carbureted engines, and, the LP5000QV was based on a Downdraft carbureted engine. Let's be clear, none of the carbureted engines in any Countach was a compromise because of a lack of funds or technology, they were intentionally specced as built & delivered per Lamborghini's plan.

It's important to explain to the uninitiated that, USA EPA emissions laws are the only reason why a Fuel-injection engine was ever developed for the Countach at the Sant Agata factory.

By the mid-80s during the Mimran era, it became apparent that Nuova Automobili Lamborghini SpA would be forced to produce a variant to comply with USA emissions & DOT mandates in order to maintain it's market share, and there is no question that everyone at the Lamborghini factory from the CEO himself to factory floor workers, built USA-compliant cars on this enforced basis. This reality of what actually transpired is confirmed by both Lamborghini's in-period CEO and it's in-period Chief Engineer, so the good news is we have verified information direct from the very decision-makers responsible for the outcome of what we see today. All that said, the Fuel-injected USA engine is respected for what it is.

Having clarified this, I apologize profusely to the OP for temporarily sidetracking this illuminating discussion, accordingly, ladies & gentlemen, please carry on back on-topic.

That's a good way to put it.

17. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Respectfully disagree, everything else,italian or Row,was Bosch fuel injected by the mid 80 s, including your stabelmate 288 gto. Its was new tec at the time, and never looked back, yes, agree your carbs are sexy, no doubt, but try to imagine what this engine would have been if all of the 5,2 liters where focused on the tec Bosch had to offer ,as opposed to moped carburators. Great discussion.

PineChris likes this.
  18. davenichols

BANNED

Oct 8, 2013
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi Marco, What would you like to know?

Dave

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #19 joe sackey, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    I accept your contrarian view, but your disagreement is not with me, its with the facts as confirmed by both the CEO of Lamborghini at the time and the Chief Engineer of Lamborghini at the time.

You are right that other manufacturers had already gone to Fuel Injection by the mid-80s, but again, that does not automatically mean that your guess that Lamborghini wanted to do the same if they had enough money, is correct, that's simply not what happened here.

Have you read the 1983/4 correspondence between both the NHTSA & Air Resources Board and Nuova Automobili Lamborghini SpA regarding that company’s EPA mandated obligations, and the subsequent responses by Lamborghini’s Ubaldo Sgarzi and Ingegnere Giulio Alfieri? It’s very interesting, as it underscores what Messrs Mimran & Marmiroli told me years later: the only reason Lamborghini developed a fuel-injected engine for the Countach was to meet USA EPA mandates.

In fact, Lamborghini's position was that the Fuelie engine was the emissions engine whilst the Carbureted engine was the performance engine.

This is underscored by 4 indisputable and basic facts:

1. The Fuelie engine allowed Lamborghini to keep their USA market share.

2. They continued to use the Carbureted engine with the QV, right through the very last 25th in 1990

3. They chose to FIA Homologate the Carbureted engine and not the Fuelie engine at a time when both were available

4. The Carbureted engine was more powerful and had a performance advantage

Please remember, you invited a discussion of the illustrious Fuelie engine into this thread, so I’m politely obliging you with a response to correct your version of Lamborghini history. Your statement that Lamborghini always wanted a fuel-injected engine and would have implemented it from the get-go is not accurate because it’s simply not true, so, making it up as you go along without having done any independent research does not somehow make it the reality. We understand, you own a Fuelie car so your view is biased, but that’s not the basis upon which history should be re-written, especially if it means disseminating misinformation. One would think that fact-based conclusions and learning from others who have informed data on a subject is a good thing.

The bottom line here is, trying to convince anyone that the basis of the fuel-injected engine in a Countach was anything other than USA EPA emissions laws, is like trying to convince them that the black bumper which is the subject of this thread was part of Lamborghini’s original plan from the get go if they had enough money!

All that said, you are of course respectfully entitled to your own beliefs.

Go Mifune likes this.
  20. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Oh ok then.. good luck with the sale

21. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Unless you personally speak to Valentino, in that case he will tell you otherwise......

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #22 joe sackey, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Sure.

Valentino reports the same story.

Unless his story is being misrepresented for purposes of personal agenda such as exaggeration of the potential of a car owned, or minimization of the potential of a car not owned, in that case it might be otherwise…..

phrogs likes this.
  23. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Hey I have a euro front bumper that was purchased for a conversion that never happened.

Its still factory fresh needs to be fitted to a car and painted.

joe sackey likes this.
  24. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    Sorry, but the 288 GTO did NOT have Bosch CIS injection as so many cars of the period did. CIS was adopted to reduce/simplify maintenance and virtually eliminate evaporative emissions. The 288 GTO had a Weber-Marelli EFI system that was very innovative for the time. It is this type of system that evolved in to the superior EFI systems found in most cars today.

joe sackey likes this.
  25. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #25 johnhoughtaling, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Exactly. Not a single McLaren F1 has the the US bumpers on them.

The US cars were modified after the body was painted (holes drilled, and pieces welded) to get in the country. They were hacked on haphazardly. The market confirms that these appendages represent negative value.

In the next week I’m throwing two sets of appendages in the trash next week. If anyone wants them they are happy to come to the garage to pick them up, (they are heavy trash). IMHO they government forced the company to ruin the looks of these incredible cars to get them in the country. And they belong in the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

S_AGATA, topcarbon and Ellagirl like this.