Countach Technical Thread & Questions | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Countach Technical Thread & Questions

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by jollygood, Mar 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

Thanks Mikael.
    Think I first need doing as you suggest, twist the rotor slightly to check the mechanical advance.
    Car was running well prior to misfire occurred.
    If the mechanical advance is stuck, will cap internals look like in the above picture?
    Or can it just be that timing is slightly off?
    Car is a 1986 Quattrovalvole and yes, the MSD is a Multispark system.

2. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Timing wheel is under pointer, inside distributor, if it is stuck to one end, allthough it does not move that much, timing and pointer will point towards where ever it is stuck.

But these are just my random thoughts from these symptoms, have fun!

btw, just remember; I broght some of Countach photos and instructions here to this forum.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/451351-my-512bb-diy-thread.html

3. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Can someone post a picture of the Countach fuel tank(s) out of the car. More than one angle would be great.

4. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Looking at the inside of the cap the arc marks are 60 crankshaft degrees out. The advance weights at best could only account for 20 crank degrees. I believe the distributor was set up incorrectly. Judging by the markings it appears half of its life it was set correctly and half it was incorrect. I cannot tell based on the cap if it is correct or incorrect now. I recommend verifying the setup as is now i.e. the number one cylinder goes to the number one location on the cap along with the number one cylinder on its firing stroke with magnetic trigger in the right location.

Cheers Jim

5. silverlambo

silverlambo Karting

Oct 16, 2012
    Rancho Santa Margari
    Full Name:
    Dan Ellis
    My manual says the 5000s holds 13.5 quarts of oil, I know this is not correct. Can someone tell me the official number

6. Spirit of Italy

Spirit of Italy Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Hans S
    Any specific angle or just a pair of tanks?

7. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Thanks Hans, Chad B had sent me photos back in he spring.

8. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    #283 randomlambo, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can somebody confirm the control arm lengths such as shown in the picture?

This is for a LP400S; I think the suspension is closer/similar to a LP500S rather than a LP400?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. GraemeS

GraemeS Karting

Jun 6, 2005
    Auckland New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graeme Stebbing
  10. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    Very cool shots.

For the experts - have there been different paint schemes of the gas tanks over the years? The ones in an early S2 LP400S are gold-color painted.

11. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    #286 Chadbourn Bolles, Feb 8, 2016
    Hope this helps. See the attached.
    Chadbourn Bolles
    803 532 6257
    803 798 3044

12. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    #287 Countachqv, Apr 16, 2016
    I have such a stupid question after confusing myself in an embarrassing way but I just don’t want to screw this up.

This winter, I had to remove my dead battery and I ordered a new Interstate.

I would swear my prior optima red top battery, which I dumped 1 month ago, had the positive on the passenger side terminal, just like the new interstate on the pictures below.

But here is the confusion. I realize the wire that is supposed to go to the positive on the passenger side is actually connected to the car's chassis (wire with quick disconnect circled red). Are the Countach positive grounded?

If not then I am not sure what is going on and how I will handle this because the other wire that I think connects to the battery negative (yes it has some red wire to confuse me more) is not long enough to go to the positive terminal on the far passenger side. Also it appears my battery tender positive wire is connected to the chassis.

I should have taken picts or not remove the old battery until getting the new one. I dont know why I am so confused on such a simple job.

13. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
    #288 Jalpa_Mike, Apr 16, 2016
    Definitely a negative ground on the Countach.

I use an Interstate also, an MT-24F and as you can tell the terminals are reversed on mine.

Mike

14. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My postive is also on the right hand side on my QV, as you look at it, standing in front of the car.
    R

15. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    arghh! I got an mtp34. when i bought the car it had an MT34. So the terminals are reversed on the MTP34? i asssumed if mt34 was good so would mtp34. or may be it comes with both configurations

16. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    I use a Deka 734MF ,wich i turned installed with the poles towards the back , this way the compartment looks uncluttered and clean,and the pos pole remains on the driver side, also i use a 1/2 inch stud style shoe,wich makes exelent countact and easy dissconect.

17. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    #292 gday, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    +1 for the MT-24F.

The proper/original fit for a Countach is a group 24 - a group 34 is original for the Diablo. Using interstate, for the group 24 you want the F suffix for proper/original terminal orientation. Using the group 34, you would want the R suffix, again for proper/original terminal orientation.

See: http://www.interstatedealers.com/ibcatalog/common/automotive_spec.pdf

-mick

18. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I got it now. There is an option for terminal location which i did not specify so of course i got the wrong one. I assumed it would be correct as this was the model i bought the car with. Thanks to all of you guys. You are the best.

19. DRAnderson

DRAnderson Rookie

Dec 19, 2014
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    David Anderson
    I have a 19system to a PerTronix ignition system. I am looking for advice from people that have tried this on the 3.292 liter engine. Ease of installation? Cost? Effect on tachometer? Reliable? Increased performance? etc.? I have 2 distributors -- that must complicate things.

I am leaning toward PerTronix as I do not want a system that can be noticed -- I want to keep the car as nearly stock as I can and I believe the PerTronix system adds a wire but otherwise fits within the distributor cap.

Thanks

David

20. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    One question for the group - can somebody shed some insight about the typical oil pressure that goes through the Countach hoses to the radiator and through the rest of the system?

We're looking to pressure test the entire system before putting the engine back in the car and connecting everything up.

Thanks.

21. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    It depends if QV or not.
    LP400-LP5000S have a high pressure circuit with max 10 bar, the QV engine has a separate low pressure pump.

22. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    This is a Lp400S; so testing would have to be with a compressor if it was at that high pressure. 10 bar is ~150 psi so that sounds quite high?

23. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles

24. randomlambo

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    Quick request for the group - is there a list of the correct hose clamps that are used on the Countach?

Thank you

25. Any source for cv joints? The boots are 930 Porsche from what I've read.