Cracked 355 Headers | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Cracked 355 Headers

Discussion in '348/355' started by carlissimo, Feb 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Cool! That works for me.

...Heck, I still don't see why repairing 355 exhaust headers turned into such a heated thread. Where's the controversy?!

355 exhaust headers *can* and are being repaired to better-than-factory-new specs, for less money than factory new exhaust headers.

3+ pages of posts to wind up at an obvious conclusion?!

Must be a Friday!

2. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    My understanding of the QV repair is they do not repair the ruptured tubes they replace them totally. They are in effect new headers.

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Suggested reading for those interested in header fabrication, or just want to learn more about the subject.

http://www.burnsstainless.com/index.htm

I would pay particular attention to the sections on alloys, and also note the differences between Burns collectors and FabSpeed.

I have always used Burns collectors, in fact every time I get one I want to put it on the mantle instead of in a race car.

They are works of art

Another interesting note on this site.

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/faq.php

“Do you recommend coating stainless to reduce under hood temperatures?
    • We built a custom set of headers for a T-70 Lola that was being converted into a “street” car. Due to the tight confines of the engine bay, the owner wanted to try coating the headers to reduce the under hood temps. The owner was fanatical about measuring and recording all engine operating data-he had thermocouples on everything! After coating, he did not see one degree change in the under hood temps.
    • Another issue is that all coatings will stain if they get oil spilled on them. Bare stainless is nice because maintenance is easy-a scotch bright pad and WD40 on mill finish, blue away and Simi chrome on polished.”

4. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Pretty much. You send your cracked headers to QV London as a core. Entire sections of bad tubing are cut out from your core, and entire new sections are then welded back in place. In this way your core acts as a factory-correct jig (you just repair/replace one pipe section at a time) for new plumbing.

You'll get your headers back in better-than-new condition as better materials have been welded into the areas that cracked/melted/blew-out previously. You'll probably still be using your original ends and collector.

A good welder using quality materials can turn your busted exhaust headers into works of art.

5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    No one who posts here has ALL the answers..... and most here know this....... when there is a good fix there is usually a consensus on what has worked and what has not...... I too do not understand why some members seem to post toxic crticism and slurs, instead of objective posts about their knowledge/experience. Some of this conflict may just go away if those angry people just got laid more..... :rolleyes:!

6. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    The "gel haired" are so testy today...

:p :D

BTW, I would never sleeve a header pipe. I would use muffler tape from JC Whitney.

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    lol.... :p

8. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I'm guessing here, but is everyone saying that duct tape won't work? Not even if you keep a roll in the car?

Mike in Kuwait

9. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not necessarily, depends on the alloy of the tape. :)

10. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    Your right, but was this really necessary?

"It's not a bet that he's going to take, of course, as he's already posting weasel words about using aftermarket headers, but really, that concedes the whole issue."

11. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Now you're onto something interesting in this thread! I'm not surprised about the coating comment...although I too sooo want to do it just to do 'something' to improve temps. But thinking about it just how much will a 0.002" thick coating do? Sounds like I need to dust off the heat transfer books...

12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My thought about coating, for what its worth.

I bought my headers from a fellow Fchater who had already had them coated by Jet Hot, so I’m stuck with that.

Would I do it again, Yes, but it’s an appearance thing, I would have had HPC coat them in a medium grey, just my personal preference.

I have never believed all the claims for reducing under hood temperature by coating, just couldn’t see how it was possible for such a thin film to have much effect.

I firmly believe that shielding under hood components from radiant heat is mandatory, while allowing the headers to dissipate heat via air cooling.

The problem I see with factory shielding is that there is no way for heat to dissipate so the tubes fail, same as they do with wrapping.

I posted in another thread a supply for a whole range of thermal barrier shielding materials, both in sheet form, and sleeve form.

Ever notice the gold foil used on the F1 Cars to, or on space vehicles reflect radiant heat they don’t carry that stuff around because it looks good.

Oh well, to each his own I guess, that’s what makes the world go around.

13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #63 davehelms, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wow, take a few hours off and the thread evolves into a concern regarding folks sex life. Where the hell did you come up with that??? Thanks for your concern Goth but all is well. Is this the direction one turns in their questions when reasoning and knowledge fails?

What everyone deserves is for those guessing at fixes and playing mechanic on the keyboard to make a statement to that effect. This will then allow folks to make up their own minds who is full of shtt and who has a clue on any given subject.

SLEEVING HEADER PIPES??? WTF, is this a joke, it has to be. Where in the hell did you pull that out from? Attached is a photo of repairs done to a set of 355 headers. I only wish I had saved the photos of the welded tubes as they made the heat shield repairs look professional. Enough on headers, everyone agrees QV UK offers a value driven repair that has held up nicely.

Come on NO DOUBT, bring it on with the valve guides and how everyone has been cheated and given bad advise. Next will be the gear lube education when the debate regarding your superior knowledge of all things valve guide related is exhausted. You are the one that decided to make this a challange of wits with your wording in the above quote.

This one I will enjoy, show us the error in our ways Yoda.

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Dave, that picture reminds me of Elephant Man! I can't imagine how anyone thought that would be a Ferrari-worthy "repair."

Glad to hear that you approve of QV London's repair of 355 exhaust headers, though. That sort of repair was my point in the first place.

I don't see the controversy in it, and can't imagine why this thread got heated when everyone seems to agree after all that 355 exhaust headers really can be professionaly repaired, unless someone had that monster in your picture above in their head instead of QV London's wonderful work.

15. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    As stated, I think it is a value driven repair that came of age before aftermarket replacement parts were available.

I am waiting on the Valve Guide insight......... Remember who set the tone of the discussion, guess why it got warmed up? Rest assured this isnt hot yet.

Bring on the knowledge....

Dave

16. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I would say 'not necessary'.......... :eek:

17. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I think we're all on the same page now, time for mandatory thread cool off time :D

18. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Thanks. We've come to a consensus that 355 exhaust headers can be professionally repaired (germain to this thread).

I'd be happy to state my opinions on other issues on a different/old/new thread, but would prefer to not clutter up this one out of respect for those interested in the stated topic.

Likewise, I'm always interested in what you have to say, especially some of the pictures that you've posted (e.g. valve guides from different Ferrari models).

I suspect that we'll still disagree a time or two over the years, but I see no cause for alarm.

19. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

Hog wash, not even close. Statements were made regarding misleading advise given. Time for facts. Waiting........

Dave

20. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #70 Llenroc, Feb 15, 2008
    After sitting back watching this thread I knew you would try to weasel your way out of the above comment. This is what Dave is referring as a dumb comment and your obvious lack of mechanical knowledge. You are stating here that any mufflershop can repair these. first off most don't have the proper diameter or type of material and most can't make a mandreal mend in a pipe. They would for sure not be able to get the shielding off and back so it looked undisturbed.
    All of you need to look at the attached picture. Why would any of you want your local muffler shop to try to repair this thing? This isn't a 20 year old Ford or Chevy that is worth 500.00 these are cars that we are just caretaking for the next generation to watch over most of what we own today will be a hear 50 years from now. There are not many cars you can say that about. Ferraris need to be taken care properly and sometimes that means a high quality aftermarket piece instead of a substandard original one or substandard repair. At least in this case it is really only one part instead of many(most of my Delorean should have been re-engineered). If a person wanted to stay close to original keep your old sheilding and put it on the those cool Fabspeed parts or have someome fabricate one that looks the same.
    There is no place for duct tape or bailing wire on a Ferrari.

Anyway Dave well done, I'm glad someone else stepped up and called it like it is...Crap. Someone is going take the wrong advice someday and either hurt themslves or cost theselves a lot money.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    No weaseling on my part. I still stand by that comment. Shops that can't do mandrel bends can simply purchase pre-bent pipes; there is an entire race industry that sells such, and one such link to a race shop that sells those pre-bent tubes has already been posted onto this thread on an earlier page.

What you've got with your ruined OEM exhaust headers is a factory-correct jig. Having the proper jig is how you manufacturer a new part correctly in the first place.

In this case, you would cut out one ruined section of pipe, such as a straight section or a twisting section that matched available pre-bent tubing. The appropriate straight or pre-bent new tubing would then be welded into place. This process will continue one section at a time until all ruined exhaust areas are replaced with new pipe.

At that point, your factory-correct jig has become your factory-correct part. This is useless for mass production, of course, as you no longer have a jig to make the next identical header...but for a single repair on a single car it works out quite cost effectively.

22. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Actually Vern, you are close but not exact.

My exact quote was "No Doubt, that has to be the single biggest dip shtt statement I have yet to read that you posted to date..." There is a differance albeit in attitude only.

Damn shame because the Motronic thread is very interesting and he is truely knowledgeable on this and has a lot to contribute to many of us interested in that.

Still waiting......

Dave

23. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    HEY! I take that personally.

24. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    HaHaHa I was paraphrasing your comment. And yes I am waiting also.
    Hmmm..If I can't trust comments on this thread why would I trust any other one?

25. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    #75 jetfixr, Feb 15, 2008