Cracked 355 Headers | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Cracked 355 Headers

Discussion in '348/355' started by carlissimo, Feb 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

WTF? Put down the glue, Ian :)

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    .....glad to hear it...... I was truly concerned....:p ........................anyway just making a point that anger is really not necessary to get 'information' across................ I would venture to say most people reading this, can very well make up their own minds as to what they want to believe. I for one do not believe that people need advice, unless they specifically ask for it. I have yet to see any one person have ALL the answers.

I am always happy to hear first hand experience but it just becomes text after it gets posted here, no matter which 'yoda' types it. So lets let people process the information on their own....... none of it should be 'forced' on anyone.... no matter how 'correct' it is.

If one thinks people need 'saving' from mis-information...... one will be a very, very busy guy..... ;).

3. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    #78 jetfixr, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Mickey Mouse on acid?

5. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    #80 enginefxr, Feb 15, 2008
  6. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Obviously you must have missed the first post in question. I will save you the search and post it here for your review.
    ""I believe that you 355 guys have been getting bad advice from the same few voices for years, if not an entire decade.. It's a pattern. Y'all deserve better.""

I suggest you re-analize your critique of the situation. I'll show you a pattern if you want to see one. Someone suggests I am misleading folks when I am in the industry and they had better have some damn thick skin as I am coming back blazing with pure fact and knowledge to back it up.

I try to admit each time I post a thought that it is just that, a theory in works. Sure as heck I dont have all the answers but I Guarren-damn-teya NO DOUBT has no clue of what he speaks of here or of the wonderful insite he has regarding Valve Guides THAT I AM STILL WAITING TO READ.........

Dave

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Why do you think that I was referring to you when I said "same few voices?"

8. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Might the taste of Crow look rather appealing right now?

I get up at 4AM to study daily, I need the Valve Guide lesson fairly soon...

Waiting............... Damn, do I need to get the Scotch out?

Dave

9. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

LOL! Definitely pour me a drink, man!

10. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    #85 jetfixr, Feb 15, 2008
    That just AIN'T right!!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Tell me about it. I think that I woke up next to that chick one morning in college!

12. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    There is no point in replacing pieces, all of the tube is made of the same material which is not the right spec for the heat that is produced. all of the header tube needs replacing. Look closely at my pic the part of the tube that isn't deformed now will be down the road. Most muffler shops charge 50.00 an hour for there time. after you locate and buy the correct size and material and all the cutting and welding you will need to do you will have spent as much time and material as a nice one piece built concept would cost, Fabspeed for example. Even if you send them to QV they are around 2000.00 for their repair(IIRC). From what I have seen at local muffler shops you are not going to get the same quality looking piece you would get from specialized race shop(and those guys aren't cheap) or just buying a nice set of after market headers. (You could do what I did with factory headers but I wouldn't recommend that someone)They local shop isn't going to be interested in setting up a jig for a one time(in their mind) repair for a "few" hundred bucks

13. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Well after reading it....... the derogation was not directed at anyone by name..... most people on here would have never attached that remark to anyone. I am certain it would have been brushed over by most on here (just as I did), but it seems you decided to attach it to yourself. The comment was not right, but getting so angry over it...... does not do any good either..... :(.

I hope we all feel better tomorrow :).

14. carlissimo

carlissimo Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Thanks for all the advice you guys. Thaks also to all you that offered your old OEM headers. I think I'll just go ahead and bite the bullet and spring for the Fabspeed headers now. I have a message into Joe to see if I can get in on the F-chat group buy. BTW, never even considered welding up the old one. At the risk of starting another war, I am thinking that the best finish is the polished one. What do you think?

15. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Is it just me or does this look like a possible case of "dodging the issues"?

NO DOUBT, answer the damn questions and post your knowledge about valve guides. The world is waiting for your knowledge and insight on this.

If it wasnt for Jetfxr and Enginefxr's Wild Kingdom photo essey this would be more than a total waste of my time. The photo's speak volumn's. How do you do that????????????

Dave

16. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Hey Dave, let's take non-header issues to a more relevant thread so as to respect the original poster and readers who pull this up in a search for exhaust header opinions.

17. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Personally I like black ceramic or satin color........... polished looks great until it gets all yellow and blue from the heat. WHat will you be doing with the old "bad" headers??? I will take them off your hands if the price is right..... :D!!

18. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Its to bad you would rather defend the unknowledgeable than trying to defend those that have first hand knowledge and years of experience and true understanding. I was always taught to spread your knowledge of what you knew when asked and keep quite and listen when you truly didn't know. Its OK to offer a suggestion as just that but never offer it as a definitive answer.

19. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Ah, but Vern...I'm right about being able to repair exhaust headers. Might as well defend what's right.

20. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I feel fine and happily wear the attachment. Angry? No Chance, not even close, just setting the record straight for once and not letting hear say prevail over fact. When one wants to suggest that folks are being mislead and then adds insult by saying "yall deserve better" one had better be damn sure they know what they speak about. There is only one thing here "that is a pattern" and I think it is showing through quite clear.

A wise person would back off quickly when in a corner without so much as a lick of knowledge on the subject. Credit where it is due, I find his posts incredibly interesting regarding the Motronic and he knows vastly more than I do regarding cracking codes and the likes. Damn shame when ones credibilty is questioned dont you think?

The worm has turned, and I'm not done waiting.........

Dave

Lets hear the

21. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    ..................I don't like bullies, no matter how smart they say are........;)

"true understanding" :eek:???? C'mon Vern..... I hope you were joking, because that sounds ridiculous..... :p!!!

22. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    .............. so much to prove and so little time............ ;)

23. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Fire up a new thread and post your knowledge on the subject. We can keep both of the threads going at the same time. I havent even begun to critique your statements regarding header fabrication yet. Vern has done a terrific job of pointing out the facts regarding this and speaks from first hand knowledge. I have spent a good deal of time discussing headers with him and he hasnt even begun to elude to the level of his knowledge on them. You are fighting a loosing battle in a match of wits with him on this subject!!!

Fire up a thread and lets hear how everyone has been mislead on valve guides and when that is done gear oil.

Dave

24. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    I've found, from engines I've rebuilt, that it is much easier and cheaper to just replace valve seals, rather than valve guides (leave that for the next poor f***er that buys the car) to stop oil burning (smoking) issues. This greatly reduces Ferrari ownship costs-- at least for the current owner!

25. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    This is true, as not every f-car owner will spend the money to fix everything the 'right way'.... :(