Cracked 355 Headers | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Cracked 355 Headers

Discussion in '348/355' started by carlissimo, Feb 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Huh!! What's so hard to understand?? A true understanding is knowing how something works because you have been thoroughly involved in a particular scenario and being able explain it to someone else. LOL No more ridiculous sounding than you not knowing what I meant.

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Just symantics..... you said "true understanding" which makes an absolute statement.... :rolleyes:..... now when you said "A true understanding" means understanding on a given subject.

Whats with all the chips on the shoulder???

3. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I see you modified your post and compliment you for it.

I really do not understand you position on this. I know you to be very accurate in your findings and the presentation of them. This seems completely out of character for you. Maybe you are just defending a friend because you sure as hell arent defending a position or any facts.

Dave

4. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I agreed with the fact that QV makes a decent header repair alternative for the money...... is that too crazy?? ;)

5. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    We have to start a Ferrari Ownership Cost Reduction sticky. JB Weld have any possibilties in this area?

6. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Dave, would you be so kind as to quote/cite an exhaust header fact that I've supposedly gotten wrong on this thread so that I can either correct it/apologize or (if I still believe it to be true) to defend it?

Surely you would at least agree that I have no intention of spreading misinformation, even if our opinions are wildly different on a topic.

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #107 gothspeed, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    #108 jetfixr, Feb 15, 2008
  9. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone

As Finch said on American Pie .........................."Mother of God"!!!!!!!!!

Yikes!!!!

10. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    I needed a good laugh.... :p.................... I was going down the 'dark pit of despair'...... on a Friday of all things.... :(

11. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    #111 enginefxr, Feb 15, 2008
    Picture of two exhaust ports-- guess which one had a worn out guide? Should have just put a new seal on it....
    I agree that not everybody will fix a car the right way, but dammit, you should at least put a reasonable amount into repairs for what you've got. IE: $50,000 car = $3000.00 set of headers... $5000.00 car = $300.00 set of headers--- same ratio, and in the past I've sold LOTS of $300.00 headers to owners who have cars worth $5000.00 or less! I'm not knocking anyone who wants to save some money, we all do, but put this in to the right perspective!! What someone re-coups during resale of a car is directly reflected into what they put into the car to begin with. Dave, I'm sure the car with the nasty-ass heat shield pic you posted will never bring as much resale value as one with a nice set of Fabspeed headers or even nice OEM headers, and I'm sure you let the owner know about it too!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    #112 jetfixr, Feb 15, 2008
    What the heck are you talking about! The folks that owned that car in Daves picture are happy as clams!!!!! They drive it all the time, it held its value!

They got it welded and they never looked back!

13. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    I almost gagged :) :) :)

That was a very DARK pit of despair.....Glad you made it out...... ;)

14. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    I wanna see more weasel pictures... have you got a subscription to National Geographic Online or what???

15. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Sounds like yer runnin' out of defenses here hahaha Were did the chips thing come from? Weren't you the one talking about bulling? No chips here just like to here the truth not a bunch of blah blah blah. I have always been concerned about leading someone down the wrong path that doesn't know enough about a particular subject and might do something to either hurt themselves or cost them a pile of money either in the short run or down the road sometime.

16. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The thread moves too fast for me to catch all of the posts. You might have already corrected some but you can start with the sleeving a header pipe over the damaged area. Yup, that would be a great starting point and we can move on from that point. Question. Have you ever made a set of headers? Welded tubes together?

""Surely you would at least agree that I have no intention of spreading misinformation, even if our opinions are wildly different on a topic""

Opinions that differ on any given subjet is healthy as it generates discussion that leads to a better understanding of any issue to all parties involved IF AND ONLY IF the discussion is based on facts and knowledge. When it is not it is simple bull shtt being spread and can hurt a unknowing reader that might be led in the wrong direction.

I would really like to believe you have no intentions of doing the above but I have watched and not spoken up too many times when you defend and undefendable position and along come the masses that want to believe it bad enough they support your thoughts and hammer down the opposition agrument. There is so much good you have done here with your parts cross reference, your Motronic work, etc... yet along you come with your "mislead", "see a pattern", "deserve better" horse shtt suggesting that others have been cheated in some way by those doing the misleading. Damn shame but this time you have been called out and will have to spread the "corrected" truth to us all. This is my business and my hobby and I will not stand idly by and have someone with little to no knowledge of a subject suggest that this is being done.

Dave

17. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Very good. I did indeed post a correction. 355 exhaust headers can't be sleeved. Sorry about that.

18. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Goth, thats just plain wrong! Talk about breaking the ice. And then the weasel poking its head around the corner....

19. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    There are NO HEADERS MADE that can be sleeved. The whole thought is so far out it isnt worth discussing.

Dave

20. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    #120 jetfixr, Feb 16, 2008

What the heck for?

Can't you see I'm busy

21. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    The owner only found out about it when the car was delivered after an Ebay purchase. The pipes were patched with galvanized fence post pipes with slices cut out of the inside of the tube radius' and welded up. Nothing is too good for Ebay! Stand back a few feet with a wire feed and let her rip! Local muffler shop and a couple of hundred bucks. I would bet just the birds nest on the heat shields took an hour to create the work of art.

Dave

22. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    That Weasel is here to stay! This will become a where's Waldo type of thing. Out of no where up he pops tipping a cold one. Thats the GREATEST!

23. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Bwaaaaahahaha You are frikin' kidding me. Dave tell me ain't so, fence posts!!!. Hey ND your idea does work, a 1000 apologies. I'm just pokin' fun you guys. Oz don't get mad I'm not being a bully.

24. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
    That's too cool... Did you check the oil for pieces of valve seal material?? I saw a Camaro once at a car auction that had fresh paint and new trunk "spatter" paint in the trunk area, and under the bottom side you could still see the Natural Light beer box that made up the "trunk floor"!! Ferrari's don't rust, do they?

25. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    #125 davehelms, Feb 16, 2008

Hey, what the heck, they got away with welding a piston while still in place. Why not a header? Valve guides?