Cranking the engine without starting after periods of no use | FerrariChat

Cranking the engine without starting after periods of no use

Discussion in '308/328' started by Octonion, Sep 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    I was very surprised to learn that this is something that some manufacturers recommend. (Aston Martin in this case). Apparently after extended periods of storage, its is recommended to crank the engine until oil pressure builds up and then allow it to start. Can we simulate this feature on our cars by removing the fuel pump fuse? Looking for some input from expert engine builders or engineers if this is something even worth attempting as a good practice.

https://aston1936.com/2018/12/14/how-to-crank-the-engine-without-starting-deliberately-in-an-aston-martin-db9/

2. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    Mods, can you move this thread to the general area as it applies to more than one model. I do not want to duplicate the post.

3. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    Best to eliminate spark when you want to do this. Even with the fuel pump disabled, there may be enough residual fuel pressure in the system to allow the engine to briefly fire and run before the fuel runs out. Most people will disconnect the primary wire(s) from the distributor(s).

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Should probably also pull the plugs and make sure the butterflies are fully open when you crank it. This will eliminate loading on the rod and main bearings.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Most people do it but you really need to define "Extended period". I suspect there will be many different definitions and many not really taking into account how long an oil film lasts on lubricated parts.

6. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    That's a good point. I start/drive my car every other week or so. So not sure if this will be overkill to do this everytime on a 308 that is used every 15 days. Would this be good practice when the car sits unused for lets say over a month? Also found this person installing an AccuSump oil accumulator to address oil starvation.

http://www.motorsportsmarketingresources.com/mmr-blog/2013/02/20/upgrading-a-1978-ferrari-308-gts-engine-lubrication-system/

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    I try and start the TR and 328 at least once a year. And when I do that I turn on the battery, reach in the window and turn the key. Thats my level of concern.

How many Ferrari engines do we see getting replaced or rebuilt due to bearing failures?

In my case in 40+ years 1.

We spend a lot of money and go to a lot of trouble and lose a lot of sleep for something that just is not a problem yet this is a weekly issue.

Probably a better chance of your car being hit by a meteorite.

430tdf, miketuason, EP328 and 4 others like this.
  8. Octonion

Octonion Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2020
    USA
    That's music to my ears. My OCD was trigerred reading the Aston Martin forum as some of the V8 vantages especially with the 4.7L engine seem to have a tendency to blow up due to lower end bearing failure. Who knows, that could be another old wives tale.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They have a problem and it isn't being parked too long.

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I follow that procedure of pulling fuel relay and cranking only if sitting more than 2 years on any of my cars ..

The process i do is put five or more gallons of fresh gas with a can of seafoam and let sit a day then do the cranking and final start

Been working for me for over 20 years

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

JuLiTrO and Octonion like this.
  11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #12 Rifledriver, Sep 21, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    You have a 308?
    Your engine has the same bearings and connecting rods as a:
    250 GT with 16 hp per cylinder
    365 Daytona with 29 HP per cylinder
    F40 with 62.5 HP per cylinder
    Your car with 25 HP per cylinder.

Not a single one of those was ever known for bearing issues. None. With the exception of the F40 were all considered understressed engines. Valve guide we had isses with because of victorian age materials, some pistons and rings for the same reasons but none lubrication related.

308 wet sump engines in race type events did suffer from oil starvation and that is an exception but that type of duty was far more properly carried out by dry sump versions and why Ferrari produced them.

Octonion likes this.
  12. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    My only concern would be the cam belts. Not sure if too long of sitting in one position is an issue, or not.

Oh, that and gasoline in the tank, it goes south pretty fast after a year. It burns, but not particularly well, as I have found from experience. I try not to let gas stay any longer than 6 months in any of my cars.

Doug

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have had ethanol gas WITH STABIL added sit for 14 months in a motorcycle that was not started at all during that period. It started immediately/ran as well as it did with brand new gas. My 328 has been stored for up to 7 months, also with Stabil. I just get in, twist the key and it starts like it was running yesterday. I adjust the tire pressure but I don't check anything else. I figure if there is no oil or coolant pooled on the garage floor, it's all still in the engine. ;)

Saabguy likes this.
  14. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Gasoline stabilizers help quite a bit, but no stabilizer = crappy gas after a year. Especially in warmer climates.

Doug

15. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Once per year?! That’s sad. Drive them.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A. You should take things less literally.
    B. You should allow me to use my cars any F'n way I want.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Long hard cornering on the track in my QV did this. Badly.

About 20 years ago I put an Accusump in to try to help it - it didn't. But I left it in just because it pre-lubed the top end when I turned the key on before I started it. I thought that may be a useful byproduct from it.

A windage tray in the oil pan fixed the oil starvation issue years later and I eventually just did away with the accusump. I'm glad to hear getting rid of it doesn't make any long term difference on start ups

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yea. The wetsumps had a real issue in right turns.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Never do anything but park it in the garage in the late fall and start it in the spring. 37 years, never a problem. No additive or stabilizers or special treatment on restart. Don't even bother to fill the fuel tank.

SamN likes this.
  20. bl10

bl10 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Chatsworth, CA
    Full Name:
    Barry Leavengood
    78 GTS - US
    After sitting about 19 years without being touched I did the following.
    1. Made sure engine wasn't seized using socket on crank pully. Just rocked it a bit.
    2. Changed oil filling crank case only about half way.
    3. Made a pre oiler adapter (see pics) that screws onto oil filter adapter and used Harbor Freight manual pump to pump oil through the system until I could see it flowing over the cam through the oil filler opening. While I was worried about the bearings I was more worried about the cams. Took all of 10 min and was confident fresh oil was pumped throughout the engine.
    4. Topped of engine with oil.
    5. After changing cam belts, checking compression, changing fuel pump and all fuel lines started it with no drama.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. ChevyDave

ChevyDave Karting

Dec 21, 2019
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Not to mention 8.6:1 compression (QV) isn't exactly stressing your bearing surfaces like a 13:1 race motor.

22. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996