Cruise Control and a crosscountry test | FerrariChat

Cruise Control and a crosscountry test

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by fatbillybob, Nov 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #1 fatbillybob, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maranello Skunk Works got cruise control and Nikki Six is going to torture test it.

There are no prices yet.

I have installed unit#2 and I can tell you the MSW cruise control works awesome. This is exactly what every GT car needs. Why did Ferrari leave CC off? Once you have it you'll wonder how you did without it. Dave is the designer. He has had his prototype working for a while before I was lucky enough to test the 2nd one. The MSW CC works just like any OEM unit. In fact the MSW CC locks in a speed faster than the CC in either of my BMW's or my Ram Diesel tow vehicle. It holds the speed control rock steady even under changing hilly conditions. This is a must have.

So Jeff (aka NikkiSix) has decided to part me from one of my 550's. Argento/Nurbergring is going to a new home. Jeff is doing something I have never done in a Ferrari drive cross country in winter no less. Jeff is crazy enough to do anything so I suggested he and I install MSW cruise control #3 when he gets here then his leg won't get tired on his trip home.

So If you local 550 guys want to see the MSW cruise control install in person, meet Jeff our new 550 brother, bar-be-que some burgers, and give Jeff a hearty send off cross country we meet on 11/20/14 around lunchtime in palos verdes.

I'll have more details once I get a head count.

Here are some pictures of the unit and the control stalk in the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    This product is needed in the USA. Thanks for posting.

3. Nikki Sixx

Nikki Sixx Karting
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2014
    Can't wait!

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I didn't even realize CC was not available on such a recent car! Man, I learn so much on this forum.

Is cruise control available on more recent 575M's? With the wide open spaces of Texas, that'd be pretty close to a must-have for any hope of using it in GT mode...T

5. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I would also be interested in one of those gizmos

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 550 still has a mechanical connection between the pedal and the throttle. The 575M has a digital throttle. Not saying it cannot be done, but it will not be the same unit.

7. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    What is the destination, NY?

8. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    November 20th at lunchtime? That's a Thursday...Don't you guys have jobs? :)

9. Nikki Sixx

Nikki Sixx Karting
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2014
    If the weather holds up, Toronto. If the weather doesn't I will drive it to our distribution warehouse in Tennesee and pick it up in the spring.

Going to take 5 days and see a few friends along the way.

10. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Wow, that is really cool!

If you also plan to build a cruise control for the 575M I will be one of the first buyers.

Markus

11. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Sign me up for one!!!

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Aaaaa.....No. We voted for free cheese from Obama. Didn't you get any?

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    What I want to know is if you've convinced Ernie to fly his sorry ass in here for this event?

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Nope. I did not tell him yet. I think too many cylinders gives him indigestion. He has horsepower envy.

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Well you know ernie, he's liable to just show up out of the blue anyway... LOL

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hope so...he is always welcome.

17. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Cruise control in a Ferrari. Hmmm. Enzo would be turning in his grave!

Truth in advertising: I have never used CC in any car.

Well, regardless of my personal appetite for such a thing, well done guys. There seems to be a demand. Good luck.

Philip

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Philip- You live in Chicago. In the West, CC is a great improvement in driver comfort. You have more people living in your city than we have in my whole state, and we are only the 5th biggest state. The 4th biggest state has half the folks my state has. I have driven for 2 hours on US 95 in Utah and not seen a single car going the same direction I was.

Not the same thing as your driving. Try driving from Chicago to LA and you will long for CC. Either that or I will be one of those guys on the interstate swearing at you for not being able to keep a consistent speed.

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    +1 If Enzo lived here in Texas, he'd use CC. :) Gotta have it; once you get west of the Dry Line, not much to slow ya down except county mounties & local popo. Do newer F-cars have cruise control?...T

20. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I am told it is an option for anything 2011 and newer; but I don't think they advertise it in order to keep purity.

CC is essential IMHO

21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Optional on late 612s and later Ferraris.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, Sean! …T

23. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    CC is so easy to use I use it all the time every drive even in congested los angeles county. It is one button and speed is set and touch the brake and it is off. I can mindlessly drive down the street and on curves at 100% of the legal limit and never get a ticket or even think about it. The natural tendency is to loose speed on a curve look at speedo then add pedal and modulate this back and forth. You aren't going 100% legal speed and that costs you time and energy with your foot only. Use the CC make your life easy, go 100% of the limit, save gas too. It is a little thing but darn convenient.

24. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Yes, have only ever lived in crowed cities: London, Sydney, Melbourne, Chicago.

Thanks for pointing out my experience limitations so gently Terry!
    Philip

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Philip- Just about everywhere I live has been in the sticks except here in Albuquerque, which some still consider the sticks. USAF bases tend to be away from major population areas (at least when they were built), even in the UK and Germany. When I was younger, no CC, but now I love it, even though my 575M does not and will not have it. She will have a built in garage door opener, though.