Current Market and Entry Level Cars; 348? 360? 430? Thoughts appreciated | FerrariChat

Current Market and Entry Level Cars; 348? 360? 430? Thoughts appreciated

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bls72bmw, Sep 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bls72bmw

bls72bmw Rookie

Sep 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    Barrett L Sexton
    Yes, yes, it is yet another "What's a good entry F car coming over from P Cars" Question

I'm interested in the current market where we are starting to see a few more cars come to sale after recent economic changes.

I tend to either love a car and keep it forever....OR pass it along in a year or two.
    I want to keep my 'possible market loss' to a minimum (aka, if the market softens, I would like to not take a major hit)
    I don't mind paying a good indie to work on the car, and I have a full understanding of servicing costs.

So, here are three examples of nice cars that I would consider nice entry points, I'm curious the thoughts on each model specifically. Having now owned a F car before. Also willing to listen to what folks have to say about the servicing side of the house as well.
    Personally, it seems the reviews on the 458 make it sound like a nice fun car.
    Car will be tracked 2x year, and I'm looking for a Driver not a collector.

Is there a true upside to buying from a dealer for a new person?

A nice 458:
    https://chicago-lakeforest.ferraridealers.com/en-US/a/used-ferrari/348-tb-ts/ZFFFG36A0L0087170-1661468708334
    (looks nice, top contender, wown't break the bank at entry price point....10 Previous owners!?!?
    Easy to get in/out of comparatively. I find if a car is easier to use, I tend to use it more (something I like about P cars, you don't have to contort yourself in/out.

A nice F430:
    https://preowned.ferrari.com/en-US/a/north-america/used-ferrari/usa/ferrari-of-las-vegas/f430/ZFFEW58A860149510-1660952409493

AND

A nice 360:
    https://www.ngsupercars.com/2000-ferrari-360-modena/

Looks reasonable for a 360 at under 100k. Not sure about the transmission choice

paulchua likes this.
  2. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    The 458 link is a listing for a 348.

3. bls72bmw

bls72bmw Rookie

Sep 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    Barrett L Sexton
    UGG TYPO
    Should have SAID 348.....!

No 458 for this guy to start.

4. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    I’m no expert. I started with a 458.

The 360 and 430 are generally considered the first new generation Ferraris: aluminum bodies, more easily serviceable, lower service costs. I think the 360 is beautiful, but the 430 has some improvements and more power. The 348 will be considered older gen with higher major service cost. Not necessarily a bad thing. There are cars out there where the service has been kept up with and have had a recent major service.

The advantage of buying from the dealer is some cars are “Ferrari approved” meaning they have a 2-year warranty. The other advantage is starting a relationship with the dealer if you ever want to order a new car.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I think all 3 are pretty depreciated already, so even if market drops further, I can’t imagine you would lose that much. I’ve never driven a 348 or 360, but I bet all have their individual charms. In my mind it depends on how modern and how much power ur current Porsche has, and if it will be your only sports car.

I personally don’t think there is any advantage of buying these modern classics from a dealer, unless u are trying to establish a long term relationship to eventually get the newer cars.

paulchua likes this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm a slut. The F430 is a better car in all respects. But, but, a F360 with a tubi ripping through the fog...

craze, technom3 and VAF84 like this.
  7. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    I am also quite promiscuous.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Some say a F355 sounds better. I dunno. But it is hard to beat a F360 ripping off in the fog.

9. bls72bmw

bls72bmw Rookie

Sep 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    Barrett L Sexton
    Thanks for the input. At this point I don't intend to get in line for a new car purchase.
    It seems like a much harder car brand to break into. P cars are so easy, reliable, etc. Just go buy a decent one and roll....

Ffre92 and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rule number one for buying a Ferrari. There is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari. You're gonna pay and pay and pay. The only question how much fun will you have for the buck.

11. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I felt the exact same way when I bought my first Ferrari, and moved past the hesitancy really quickly.

All I can say is that when I owned Audis and bmws, all the service visits and few hundred dollar repair costs here and there really irritated me. My 575 and 430 have been expensive to own to be sure, but for some reason it doesn’t bug me at all to have several thousand dollar service costs every once in a while. The joy I get from them are worth every penny. They are works of art, look, sound and feel amazing, and I love being connected to the history of the marque.

if my financial situation ever changes, sure I’ll sell them, but will still feel the satisfaction I fulfilled that dream.

Sulkathon, VAF84, fws357 and 2 others like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You have it figured out.

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Which car do you truly love of the 3? you already know, you don’t need to ask us. Buy it when your ready.

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It’s all psychological. I don’t mind a thousand here, a thousand there on a classic Ferrari or Porsche, but whenever the DD needed tires it was somehow irritating.

Of your list, the 348 is the simplest, classic, and the F430 is fast and computerized. I would go 328 for a reliable classic, or F430 for a more modern car. Some guys don’t like classic cars, so ask yourself whether it’s a weekend fun car or if you need more amenities and technology.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ffre92 and Shark01 like this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I agree a 328 vs 430 as a classic vs newer (but still old car) comparison is the better fit given the relatively reliable (with no regular engine out services) nature of the 328.

16. market-reasearch

Silver Subscribed

Jul 21, 2021
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    D. Gabathuler
    F430 gets you the best Ferrari for the money and the depreciation will be limited.

17. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What Porsche do you own?

For me the real question you need to answer is do you want a gated car or paddles?

/

FerrfanFL likes this.
  18. bls72bmw

bls72bmw Rookie

Sep 11, 2022
    Full Name:
    Barrett L Sexton
    Fat Mike, had a list of a few from over the years...air cooled 911SC, Cayman, 996....currently have a 997.1S (incredible car for the value they are), a Cayenne GTS (again an underrated car if you ask me)...and a 986 Boxster, just because they are fun, reliable, tossable and really cost what the taxes will be on a F Car :)

19. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So do you want a gated shifter or paddles? I really think it’s the primary decision you need to make with buying your first Ferrari.

Convertible or berlinetta?

Are you focused on the mid-engined car? (So not a Maranello, etc).

/

20. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I had a 2015 Boxster S, stick shift, which I traded in for my 2009 F1-430. I looked at a couple 360’s and my friend owns one. I chose the 430 because I didn’t want to spend a couple thousand dollars every 3-4 years doing the belts and I wanted the most updated Ferrari I could afford. The 458 was out of reach for me. My friend and I go for drives together and I sure enjoy being behind him and listening to his car go through the gears.

A lot of the routine maintenance you can do, which will save a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

VAF84 likes this.
  21. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    For me, a lot of it is the esthetic appeal also...the 348 has the heavy 80s vibe/styling, the 360 lines flow better and sleek, the 430 is where Ferrari started going the overall flow of things/design is lacking, almost like a lot of the styling nowadays where separate teams are in charge of designing different sections of the car...front, back, side (think C8 corvette)

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Styling is always subjective … I greatly prefer the F430 to the 360, especially from the front, but I agree the C8 Corvette is a mess.

OP will make up his mind, though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I edited the thread title from 458 to 348

24. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    348 is a money pit for the performance it delivers. I know 'cos I had one for 3 years.
    360 is as reliable as a Honda, blast to drive, seems to hold value well..... just a great car. I've had my '99 gated coupe for 6 years now. Other than maintenance, zero cost issues with the car.

FerrfanFL likes this.