Daniel Ricciardo way overrated. | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Daniel Ricciardo way overrated.

Discussion in 'F1' started by Edward 96GTS, Apr 24, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    he already has the juggling mastered.

TurboFreak650 likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    LOL

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

If true good for Ricci. It is what he wanted. Seems the world is still turning after all. He will be a good contributor for next years effort for RedBull.

4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Truth is the only main problem for Ricciardo is how Norris annihilated him for two years in a row!
    Nobody including me expected this..
    Lando is a very good driver but not to this extent.

william likes this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The last 2 Mclaren's exposed Ricciardo's limitation with a front limited car. Add to that this years Pirelli's give little feel that all drivers complained about and you get this as a result. Norris copes with it far better but still complains about it.

If Ricciardo was this poor a driver Mclaren wouldn't have offered him an indycar seat in their team....

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I never thought DR would go back to RB. I accused myself of drunk posting in another thread:
    "DR will help develop the 2023 car away from Max toward Perez which is DR's style. Perez is '23 WDC. Max quits in a rage. DR back on team '24 wins WDC. "

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    DR and Max get along really well and also want the same from the car (strong front end)...:)

8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Frankly I don’t know.
    Then why Mclaren didn’t try to design a 2022 car suited to his tastes ?
    I know this is easy to talk about problems but more difficult to solve them.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Only so much you can do, really. RB know Max's tastes yet the car, especially early in the season, wasn't to his liking at all. They managed to take some weight out from a critical area that shifted it more towards his liking, but for him also the pirelli's are an issue. Mclaren maybe couldn't do this and are of course stuck with the same pirelli's.

You don't lose talent like that all of a sudden. Same goes for Vettel in 2014...came off the back winning 4 titles, the rule change meant he lost that RB trait giving him tonnes of rear downforce which he used so effectively, suddenly he was beaten...didn't mean he lost talent, just couldn't adjust, exposing a limitation in his skill set.

10. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/horner-outlines-red-bull-f1-plans-for-ricciardo-in-2023-rules-out-race-return/10402117/

Horner outlines Red Bull F1 plans for Ricciardo in 2023, rules out race return
    Christian Horner has outlined Red Bull’s plans for Daniel Ricciardo should he sign as a third driver for 2023, but ruled out a future possible full-time Formula 1 seat.

By: Luke Smith
    Nov 19, 2022, 10:25 AM

Ricciardo is set to make a return to Red Bull in 2023 in a third driver role after losing his seat with McLaren for next year at the end of August.

Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko revealed on Sky Germany yesterday that Ricciardo would be joining as a third driver, but it emerged the Australian is still yet to sign an agreement.

Red Bull F1 chief Horner confirmed on Saturday that no deal has been signed yet, but that Marko “in his enthusiasm has obviously announced it.”

Horner said Ricciardo was “still one of the biggest names and biggest characters in Formula 1”, making him an ideal option to have in a third driver role.

The position will see Ricciardo conduct a number of marketing duties such as demonstration runs, as well as offering support in the simulator to race drivers Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez.

“With the demands that are on the race drivers these days, just from a marketing perspective alone, that we’re very active as a team, we do many, many show runs and events,” explained Horner.

“To have a driver of Daniel’s profile and history with the team within the group is only an asset for us. It means that he keeps in touch with Formula 1, and we’ll obviously be using him on the simulator as well.

“He’ll be attending potentially some events, of course if he does sign a contract. I’m sure that will all become clear in the event of him signing a contract.”

Ricciardo raced for Red Bull between 2014 and 2018, scoring seven of his eight grand prix victories with the team and twice finished third in the drivers’ championship.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Ricciardo celebrates winning at Monaco in 2018 for Red Bull

Photo by: Steven Tee / Motorsport Images

Ricciardo has made clear that he wants to make a racing return to F1 in 2024 if possible, but Horner ruled out the chance of the Australian becoming a longer-term option for Red Bull as a race driver, noting the current agreements in place with Perez and Verstappen.

“No, Daniel’s contract is very specific for a specific reason,” said Horner.

“We have a contract with Checo for the next two years. What the partnership of Max and Checo has produced has been phenomenal for us, and the five 1-2 finishes so far this year, the constructors’ championship that we haven’t won for eight years is a phenomenal achievement, and obviously the combination of both drivers’ points contributions.

PLUS: The steps Verstappen and Red Bull took to expose Ferrari's 2022 failings

“The two drivers, they do have a good relationship. They’ve raced well for the team, and we’ve got no reason to see that being any different tomorrow or for the duration of their contractual commitment to the team thereafter.”

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Dr gets 25mil from McLaren. Driver 3 at rb is not a drive and rb talks lot about Dr and pr duties. Maybe that keeps McLaren still having to pay Dr 25mill?

Bas likes this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think so, for ending the contract early...

Maybe not the full 25 but lets say he won't go hungry the next 12 months...

13. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the car in 2023 if Perez doesn't show up OR this issue between MV/SP is deeper than what is being reported...
    Lets not forget Ricciardo is the only teammate to go toe-to-toe with Verstappen. Now the latter has matured tremendously so probably not even anymore but still recall there was little daylight between the two of them on pace when they were teammates

14. DF1

Via Autosport F1:

Ricciardo’s AlphaTauri F1 seat fitting fuels De Vries rumours

Daniel Ricciardo’s recent visit to AlphaTauri’s Formula 1 factory in Italy for a seat fitting has fuelled rumours that he could be set to replace Nyck de Vries.

However, while de Vries is facing some tough times in his rookie season, Ricciardo’s presence in Faenza does not mean a driver change is definitely on its way.

Instead, Ricciardo’s visit was nothing out of the ordinary. As part of his arrangement with Red Bull for this year, where will be reserve driver at some races, the Australian will also fulfil that role for AlphaTauri, so a seat fitting is a necessity.

Ricciardo has yet to drive an F1 car since taking on his Red Bull job, with his first outing in the RB19 set to take place in the post-British Grand Prix tyre test at Silverstone.

................But while de Vries is not under immediate pressure, sources have suggested that the team’s senior management, and especially Helmut Marko, want to see some signs of progress by the Spanish Grand Prix next month.

With a triple header coming up on tracks that de Vries knows, there should be a better opportunity to judge his potential – which is why how he does at Imola, Monaco and Barcelona will be crucial to dictating his future.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #590 william, May 11, 2023
    Last edited: May 11, 2023
    "de Vries is not under immediate pressure "? LOL
    Marko is up to his usual tricks, it seems.

I had hope de Vries would be taken as spare driver at Mercedes, instead they took Mick Schumacher ( sigh)

16. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've written and deleted several posts here in this discussion in the past two days. I have so much to say about Ric, but I'll just keep it to myself. I've said enough. How is this guy still even being talked about? Okay that's it. I swear.

Giallo 550 likes this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I may be wrong, but I think that Ricciardo is used by Red Bull, (just like Mick Schumacher is by Mercedes).
    I would be surprised if his present position leads to anything later on.

jpalmito likes this.
  18. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    William... I've never wanted you to be more right than at this moment.

william likes this.
  19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Ricciardo seems purely toasted indeed.
    I don’t think we will see him driving a Formula one again.

Giallo 550, Boomhauer and william like this.
  20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    can we rate Rici vs Jenson Button? i feel Jenson lucked into his WC title.

william likes this.
  21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That has always been my opinion.

Brawn were very lucky that exploiting a loophole in the technical regs wasn't made illegal that year.

Button was WDC in 2009 thanks to the double diffuser.

jpalmito likes this.
  22. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I rate Button higher because of how he fared against Hamilton and there's no schtick with him...

jpalmito likes this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    And JB always had great looking girlfriends.

jpalmito and Giallo 550 like this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I like Ric, he seems to me to be a very fun and nice guy. Unfortunately, Lando destroyed him, sometimes folks look their juju. I would be pleased if Ric finds it again.

25. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Is Ricciardo back after Mexico2023 qualifying? He did pretty well qualifying that Alpha Tauri in all sessions.

Bas and moretti like this.