DAP go kart ? | FerrariChat

DAP go kart ?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by PSk, Jul 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Anybody heard of a DAP frame manufacturer for a go kart?

Would like to know where they are made as I am negotiating to buy one and will be looking at it on Thursday night.

I can see that they have been used to win races in Australia but would like to confirm that they are made here to ... for spare parts reasons only, no other reason.

Pete's thinking he might be racing again :D
    ps: Just need to throw a roof rack on the family wagon, buy a helmet, neck support, overalls and some shoes ... and if the second kart in the deal is any good, throw a Junior motor at it for the older kids (+ helmets, etc.) and we have a race team.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay I have found the answer to my own question ;), via this link:

http://www.italsistem.com/english/storia_eng1.htm

The Australian Karting Association has informed me that there is an agent for them in Sydney ... thus it is all go!

Having a look at them on Thursday ... hopefully starting race rebuild in the weekend ;) ...

While it is not going to be as fast as what I used to do, I'm looking forward to burning some rubber, blocking passing attempt, diving up the inside and re-sharpening my driving skills. I also look forward to sharing my enthusiasm for the sport with the kids ...

Pete's excited

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    dap karts with 100cc engine were made in england under 16 year olds raced them about 20 years ago dont know if they are still going as i have been out of karting since then but i will find out

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Steve,

Just found this reference to DAP karts:

Pete

5. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Roof rack?

lol

I need a full karting trailer which, along with the karts, carries all the essential tools, spare parts, etc.

6. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    For the sake of the spectators, please make it interesting and don't run laps around the field... thanks :)

Good luck with your purchase, awesome that you are getting back into it. Be sure to post some pics if you can.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sorry James,

This will be a budget comes first racing effort. I am now 36 years old, time for fun and winning ;), but not at a money does not matter situation like 10 years ago.

Er, I am quite naturally expecting to get my arse whipped, especially on the first outing. If I for some reason do not, I will be disappointed ... again I thrive on the challenge.

I have lots to learn as I have never tuned a 2 stroke motor before or raced a kart (I have turned 100's of laps in a humble indoor kart (yep I used to belong to a club for mid week fun between my real racing) and a few laps in a friends kt100 kart ...). Plus this kart has not run for a couple of years ... so I am going to give her a fright.

Now I just hope that I am not going to look at a couple of pieces of cr@p and I can get the price down a little ;).

I will keep you informed of how we go :).

Pete

8. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Ah well, good luck with that! Just make sure you tie that kart down tight! :D

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks and yes will have to think about how to tie down correctly ... I remember having issues with cars on trailers until I perfected the system.

Pete

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Okay ... here is the story.

I saw an add for a couple of karts for an okay price ... one was minus motor, but otherwise complete. Did the research and everything looked okay for me racing one in the Senior class and if I put a Junior engine on the other my step sons would be able to race it.

Well I managed to get to looking at the karts and er, the realisation of how much work was involved hit me like a sledge-hammer when I saw these karts in millions of filthy pieces and what looked like many worn out parts.

It was like a flash back to my racing days ... and I did not even make an offer, because to be honest with myself I do not think I am ready for that much effort for a few laps around a kart track.

Thus the irge to race again is there, but it is NOT strong enough to commit to all the effort that is naturally required ... especially because my garage setup is not really big enough at the moment.

Now in less than a years time that should change and when my Alfa is in the painting stages I will rethink this and might have another look.

I think the karts I looked at were okay, but requiring a massive and complete strip down and paint, replace worn components and put back together ... plus definitely an engine rebuild. I don't race grubby race cars ;)

I also realise that a trailer is definitely required and would be heaps easier.

Thus feet firmly on the ground again, and as I always say if you are not going to give it 100% keep out of the water ...

Pete's not yet ready to return to the track

11. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Oh! Darn it! I thought you were going to give Webber a run for his money in a few years and challenge him for a spot in F1. :D

Just kidding... I know how problematic it can be to maintain go karts, it’s a good idea to stay out until you 100% committed.