Data and Telemetry | FerrariChat

Data and Telemetry

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Entropy, Nov 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Just a quick update and shout out to Peter Krause (ProCoach)

Over the past racing season it became clear that as a driver, I was getting to the level where I could use some "advanced" coaching and it was time to have some data to point out where I was BS'ing myself about brake points, throttle application and pedal work....

I reached out to Peter and he outfitted a system for my F430C....while we are still learning how to use it, Peter was a super guy to work with....sent the system pre-configured, supported the install and has given me tremendous "remote support" to work through some of the inevitable user-error type issues.

We put an AIM Evo4, SmartyCam GP and TG Dash in the car. The video capture is great, the video overlay is very helpful and the dash is unobtrusive but is right there when I dare to look at my lap times. I'll try and find some installation photos...Pete and Luigi at Universal did their typical professional job.

Looking forward to seeing the "ugly truth" about my driving via the data soon...Will try and share my experiences over the coming months....it was about the cost of a set of tires....tires I'll wear out quickly, the learning hopefully will last longer. Curious as to what others have experienced....

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I hope this thread takes off and I can learn something. I want data I can use. I can buy all kinds of data but quite frankly I am technically challenged and have issues with the simplest stuff. When the power goes out all my clocks flash "12' until my kid comes home from school. My problem starts before I can ever use the systems. There is always something like just the other day I was trying to use "racerender" and the program would not even turn on because I got some issue with some obscure windows setup issue that is yet to be resolved. Then there is using cryptic AIM RS2 software that I'm too stupid to understand the intuitive software. Finally, once I get past the obvious, I would love to see some other people data where someone says things like, "see here this shows you that you are using the throttle like a light switch and your steering angle implys the car is under steering". Then I could really get behind trying to learn this stuff. I race for fun and trying to figure out software is not fun. Someone would be able to make some money making data fun and make us want data. There is no question that we all need data...

3. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    I attended an AIM data acquisition seminar a few weeks ago to help with my own racecraft and what I learned about the amount of feedback thats available through the system's various hardware components and the RS2 software was incredible (or just silly... in a good way).
    The Race Studio 2 feedback can tell you when- at any point of the track you are at- in that moment in time what you and the vehicle are doing. Look at complete laps & compare multipul laps and so much more. It can also help identify mechanical and engine issues before the driver may be fully aware of an issue. We all know the Nut behind the steering wheel is the main variable in the driving equation and this paints a picture of exactly what the nut is doing.

Roger C from their training & technical service was our host and after what I learned, I cannot recommend enough to others to attend one of their seminars to learn how to unleash the potential of the system and to better understand the RS2 software.

4. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    I totally agree that for amateur racers and trackday guys, even the most modern, user friendly data stuff is still to much of a PIA for many people to use. In my coaching work I have to constantly swap between Motec, Magnetti-Marelli, AIM, Traqmate and others..its hard to keep up with all the different interfaces.

Until its a simple as a toaster, you only option is a great coach:) Thank goodness for that too, cause I like to eat and live indoors!

5. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    To the OP, thanks for the shout out!

Being a dealer for Traqmate, AiM, Race Technology, Race-Keeper, Racelogic Video VBOX and MoTeC, it is a little bit of a pain coming up to speed on each maker's interface.

I can say that looking at the same few simple metrics can help establish trends and allow people who are not tech-savvy where and how they can do better.

velocity (speed) versus distance, longitudinal g's (acceleration and braking force) versus distance, split times and theoretical, eclectic or best rolling laps all provide good information.

All these systems measure the same things with roughly the same accuracy, but ninety percent of the people I work with and sell equipment to learn more from "intelligent video" or video with data overlaid.

"You mean I wasn't flat through there?" :D

6. apex97

apex97 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2006
    Stockbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Edward Zabinski
    I totally agree with Peter here. Other than riding with someone, video will tell you, and your coach, most of what you need to find large "chucks" of time. The data should be used to answer the questions the stopwatch, driver feedback and video are asking.

Once you are within the same second of the fastest guy in the class, or similar car, only THEN does teh data become the primary tool.